Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:20 PM

638 posts, read 529,619 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:54 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
My old friend was married about 18 years and now divorced for almost six... she said she is going to ask her husband to send her something for their anniversary because she put a lot of time in the relationship and should be acknowledged. He's single and she said he does it but I suspect if he meets someone she won't like him sending her stuff for their anniversary that is kind of like compensation or something... I would venture to say most people will not agree with her request or him going along with it. She said he travelled way too much on many occasions he wasn't required to by his work but offered or agreed to it and that was the main factor that led to breakdown of the marriage so she feels like she should be compensated for how she sacrificed over the years, iow being a single parent on his long business trips.
Wow. Talk about holding a grudge! A unique mix of compensation and entitlement! Her freedom was her compensation. If she asks you about this about the only response I could imagine would be:

"hmmm, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one."

or (a quote from a movie)

"I wouldn't want to hang from a rope until you get it".

But then I wouldn't want to get on this woman's bad side either.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:15 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I would never ask!

Although if I did, I might just get it. Married for 7, divorced for 24. Remarried for 13.

And my ex sends me text messages twice a day, every day, to tell me good morning & good night & he has for years. I usually don’t answer; maybe once a week I’ll say “thank you! “ & 2 weeks ago I did tell him happy birthday.

Last month I reminded him, literally, that I am “fundamentally flawed”. He said he can’t help it, maybe he’s crazy, etc ...

I answered “ Maybe I caused you to have PTSD”. He just replied “lol!” The only other LTR I’ve ever had was with the certified Sociopath I mention now & again. Now that he’s out of prison ( again) occasionally he’ll message me on social media & remind me that I “was the only woman able to make a man out of him”.

I always ignore him but I have to stifle the urge to reply “ Obviously, I didn’t do a very good job!”

I have no clue what’s going on with these guys but it never occurred to me to ask for a gift. That’s ... weird.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:24 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I would never ask!

Although if I did, I might just get it. Married for 7, divorced for 24. Remarried for 13.

And my ex sends me text messages twice a day, every day, to tell me good morning & good night & he has for years. I usually don’t answer; maybe once a week I’ll say “thank you! “ & 2 weeks ago I did tell him happy birthday.

Last month I reminded him, literally, that I am “fundamentally flawed”. He said he can’t help it, maybe he’s crazy, etc ...

I answered “ Maybe I caused you to have PTSD”. He just replied “lol!” The only other LTR I’ve ever had was with the certified Sociopath I mention now & again. Now that he’s out of prison ( again) occasionally he’ll message me on social media & remind me that I “was the only woman able to make a man out of him”.

I always ignore him but I have to stifle the urge to reply “ Obviously, I didn’t do a very good job!”

I have no clue what’s going on with these guys but it never occurred to me to ask for a gift. That’s ... weird.
IMO, this is borderline "unacceptable communication" between the two of you. If I was our current spouse, I would be questioning this seriously. It has nothing to do with being "insecure or jealous", it's just a respect thing. It's good that you ignore him mostly though.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:55 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Whut? This is a contender for “strangest post of the year”.

I had to google Pandora bracelets to learn what they were, & they’re not that great.

If she’s got the guy under her thumb that much, she should just ask for C-A-S-H, much more useful & can never have enough.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
That's just weird. I have great admiration and respect for people who are able to remain friends after a divorce, and can even understand giving a gift for a birthday or holiday, but it's not their anniversary anymore. Why she would want yearly tokens to commemorate a failed marriage is completely beyond my comprehension.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:27 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
My old friend was married about 18 years and now divorced for almost six... she said she is going to ask her husband to send her something for their anniversary because she put a lot of time in the relationship and should be acknowledged. He's single and she said he does it but I suspect if he meets someone she won't like him sending her stuff for their anniversary that is kind of like compensation or something... I would venture to say most people will not agree with her request or him going along with it. She said he travelled way too much on many occasions he wasn't required to by his work but offered or agreed to it and that was the main factor that led to breakdown of the marriage so she feels like she should be compensated for how she sacrificed over the years, iow being a single parent on his long business trips.
Would you say she is lonely and regrets the divorce?

Old 10-21-2017, 09:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times
She exudes a tough "hey I don't care, I'm good with all that, I've never been happier personna, tend to think it's an act she puts on to tell herself she's okay.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

They are divorced. That was her "reward" for his perceived poor behavior.

Talk about entitlement. They are done. Holding onto a grudge like that is, in the words of Carrie Fisher, like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

Right? They've been divorced for six years. The window for apology gifts has closed. The ship has sailed.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
if he does it, he's an idiot..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology