Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:14 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
This is therapy - she/he's unlikely to be seeing a doc (psychiatrist). Not the same thing.
Different thing, but same concept. I heard that psychiatrists don't like self-diagnosers. The main danger of treating them is that they often do it to abuse the system and score drugs.

But I also heard that therapists don't like self-diagnosers, either. Why don't they? I mean, there are no prescriptions chancing hands; it's just talk therapy. Inquiring minds want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 11:22 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Different thing, but same concept. I heard that psychiatrists don't like self-diagnosers. The main danger of treating them is that they often do it to abuse the system and score drugs.

But I also heard that therapists don't like self-diagnosers, either. Why don't they? I mean, there are no prescriptions chancing hands; it's just talk therapy. Inquiring minds want to know.
Just. Stop.

The OP came here looking for advice on getting help. No need for personal pollution.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Therapist will ask you "why are you here?", you have to have some answer. Telling her your self diagnose issue is not a bad place to start. It will guide the discussion in certain direction. But, as a warning, you will not talk about all the notes you write as preparation for your session. I did the same thing, wrote notes, bullets on topics to discuss and then when I came out of the session I realize we went on a tangent direction. Which was helpful because it made me see things as I haven't seen

Good luck

Old 10-24-2017, 06:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's better not to mention the condition by name, and instead only describe its symptoms. Let the therapist diagnose you. For instance...

Dr.: "What brings you here today?"
You: "I have symptoms A and B, also C when I don't get enough sleep." (Thinking: "I think I have generalized anxiety disorder.") What could it be?
Dr.: "This looks like generalized anxiety disorder. How long have you had the symptoms?"
You: "Quite a while. What can I do to get them treated?"
Dr.: "Your options are 1, 2, or 3."
This is fiction.

I have literally never heard a therapist say anything like this.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM

133 posts, read 98,283 times
I go twice a week. I went years ago and it literally saved my life.
Look up red flags and therapy. Study that well. It will save you tears, money and time.
Good luck!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Your first meeting will be all about your therapist trying to figure out what box you fit into. I highly suggest, for instance, that if you drink any alcohol or smoke any pot, that you lie completely about it. Because even if you tell them, honestly, that you only have a drink once or twice a week, or same for smoking any pot, etc., they will assume you are minimizing your real usage and they will ONLY focus on potential addiction issues.

And you will never convince them otherwise, or change the course of their assumptions about you.

Sucks, but it's true. And whatever they write into their notes becomes part of your permanent medical history - as in it will follow you for the rest of your life.

Unfortunately, people really can't afford to be honest with their therapists - unless they never have a drink, never have any mental problems....basically, unless you are completely sane. And then, they will still find some kind of mental illness to put on your report - that will follow you forever - even if it's wrong.

It's way safer to talk to a priest or rabbi.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your first meeting will be all about your therapist trying to figure out what box you fit into. I highly suggest, for instance, that if you drink any alcohol or smoke any pot, that you lie completely about it. Because even if you tell them, honestly, that you only have a drink once or twice a week, or same for smoking any pot, etc., they will assume you are minimizing your real usage and they will ONLY focus on potential addiction issues.

And you will never convince them otherwise, or change the course of their assumptions about you.

Sucks, but it's true. And whatever they write into their notes becomes part of your permanent medical history - as in it will follow you for the rest of your life.

Unfortunately, people really can't afford to be honest with their therapists - unless they never have a drink, never have any mental problems....basically, unless you are completely sane. And then, they will still find some kind of mental illness to put on your report - that will follow you forever - even if it's wrong.

It's way safer to talk to a priest or rabbi.
I seriously cannot believe the crap that some people are posting here. It is SO harmful. NoMoreSnow, I am really surprised at you. This ^^^ is just ... nothing but your opinion.

Okay, OP, from what I can tell one actual therapist has addressed your question here, and a couple of people (like me) who have had a variety of experience in therapy have tried to offer advice.

Then a few others with obvious prejudice have come along to present biased (and untrue) stories meant to scare you.

I urge you not to share much about your therapy here. Go, ask questions, trust the process and do your own research on trusted online sources. Not the CD Sick-ology subforum.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I seriously cannot believe the crap that some people are posting here. It is SO harmful. NoMoreSnow, I am really surprised at you. This ^^^ is just ... nothing but your opinion.

Okay, OP, from what I can tell one actual therapist has addressed your question here, and a couple of people (like me) who have had a variety of experience in therapy have tried to offer advice.

Then a few others with obvious prejudice have come along to present biased (and untrue) stories meant to scare you.

I urge you not to share much about your therapy here. Go, ask questions, trust the process and do your own research on trusted online sources. Not the CD Sick-ology subforum.
Well, duh, it's my opinion. Just like yours is yours. But, it's also my experience. For what it's worth. I learned it the hard way.

Once there is any kind of notation in your medical record of some bad therapist's definition of you - it follows you wherever your medical record goes.

And every nurse or physical therapist or primary care physician or counselor or psychiatrist in the future, will start off their meetings with you with a pre-ordained idea in their head about you.

It's just easier for them. They only have so much time, and if they can look at your chart and peg you as this or that, they will just go along.

Kind of like primary care physicians just prescribing high blood pressure medication or high cholesterol medication, rather than take the time to talk to you about your stress level or diet or exercise or lifestyle. It's easier to say, "Ah ha! High cholesterol, here's a prescription for statins. Come back in 6 months. Next."

Same thing happens in the psychiatric world. They're in a hurry, they need to fill out their forms and boxes, it's the way they get reimbursed by insurance providers. if it's in their best interest to peg you as a such and such, in order to justify seeing you regularly without a fuss, that's what they'll do.

And if someone is still in the employment world, it should be kept in mind that many employers require physicals now. if there is anything in your medical record you don't want a future employer to be able to deny employing you over - as in a supposed substance abuse problem or mental health problem - it better not be in your record. So, if you can avoid getting something that can possibly be viewed as a negative in your record, you're much better off.

Let alone the possibility of anything being viewed as a pre-existing condition when trying to find healthcare in the future.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 AM

5 posts, read 3,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Let him or her lead the way about why you are there. If he/she asks if you have anything in particular you want to discuss, take out your notes and tell him/her your MOST important issues/problems.

The therapist can then lead the discussions from there.

Yes, an hour goes quickly so don't expect to go over everything on your list unless it's short.

Also, if you aren't getting good vibes or aren't comfortable with this therapist for any reason, then try another. Long ago, I went to two. The first one was a dud. The second one helped me tremendously.

Good luck!

Having been a counselor since the 1980's, I agree!

IMPORTANT:Let the therapist lead the sessions. You can come in with something to say/talk about - mention it in the beginning of the session. Then follow the therapist's lead.

Your role in the session is to reveal your emotions and the thoughts that go with the feelings.
The role of the therapist is to help you do that, using their type of training.
Sometimes revealing your thoughts and feelings will come in the form of venting - that's OK and one of the purposes of therapy.

Likewise, feeling like "you don't know" tells the therapist something, too.
There is no wrong answer. The right answer comes from real feelings. ("I don't know," may reveal a state of confusion or a feeling of resistance in the moment - both reveals the truth in the moment, and perhaps where you are with your issue..)

IDEAl: Be real and allow the therapist to draw your thoughts and feelings out of you. That will allow the therapist to lead and follow you as needed, throughout the session. At the end of the session comes catharsis, revelation, inspiration.

Don't expect to "get it all done" in one session. Typically you will have manny sessions, and you will start to see beneficial results in your daily life.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 AM

5 posts, read 3,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Just. Stop.

The OP came here looking for advice on getting help. No need for personal pollution.

Therapists/Psychologists talk to clients and will refer the client to a psychiatrist who prescribes drugs IF NEEDED.

There are many counselors who don't work with clients who have personality disorders/ thus no need for drugs. But that is for the counselor to determine - is the client displaying a personality disorder? This is one of the things to look for in the first sessions.

So there are different types of counselors depending on the different types of clients!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology