Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 10:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

What is going on with people who seem to want to stay busy all the time? It's as if they can never be alone with their own thoughts. Do they not trust their own minds?

If they are not doing something productive, then they are either reading, knitting, doing crossword puzzles, working on a project, etc.

Don't get me wrong. These are admirable traits. But it seems like they would never even know how to meditate or be alone with only their mind to keep them company. It's as if they don't trust their own minds, and they would never want to wander or daydream.

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 04:59 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,260 times
Reading, knitting, doing crossword puzzles, etc. is how some people relax.
I’ll sit outside with a cup of tea, do crosswords or soduko, or just write, and I’ve never felt more relaxed.
The examples you posted are mental exercises, right? So in a way you are alone with your own mind. You just have an external medium for achieving that.
I meditate, but my mind starts to wander after a while. I’m more relaxed and still while writing or doing puzzles.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:25 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
Reading, knitting, doing crossword puzzles, etc. is how some people relax.
I’ll sit outside with a cup of tea, do crosswords or soduko, or just write, and I’ve never felt more relaxed.
The examples you posted are mental exercises, right? So in a way you are alone with your own mind. You just have an external medium for achieving that.
I meditate, but my mind starts to wander after a while. I’m more relaxed and still while writing or doing puzzles.
I can appreciate that. But then it can be hard to get to know them since they only allow that during designated "down" times which they put in their schedule, which are usually brief in duration. Maybe during that designated time you might have your own things you want to do.

But it seems like they are always busy and can never just relax and chill.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:28 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Meditation is not for everyone.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Meditation is not for everyone.
Meditation....Everyone would benefit, they have no clue how beneficial it is.

I have a friend, not married, no children, no pets, not working anymore and she makes lists to do everything and is always in a hurry and is forever busy. We used to get together and now I don't even ask as she's always busy. My daughter is like this too but she is raising two older children still college world, takes care of pet and has a couple disabilities that slow her down...so I understand this more.

I've never been a list maker, I use my memory and it works.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:53 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Meditation is a key component in easing stress, lower heart rate.

Impulsive....over driven minds...tend to stay in motion.

I find their energy to be draining....just to watch....

Old 10-29-2017, 05:22 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Meditation is a key component in easing stress, lower heart rate.

Impulsive....over driven minds...tend to stay in motion.

I find their energy to be draining....just to watch....
I believe this friend has OCD tendencies. As does my daughter and so did her husband, and the two of them married what a challenge it was to go to their house in try to relax, everyone walked on eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology