Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I used to do more things that were outright trolling.

Some people on C-D consider me a troll, but I'll often throw some red meat out just to see what people think.
Ironically enough, I find you to be one of the more insightful posters on this forum. And I've had some disagreements with you, sure. I never felt that you were trolling me...were you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 10:47 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Here's an example of what I'd consider trolling. It's not verbatim of a conversation I had, but it's along the same lines.

Me: "Some negligent woman rammed into the back of my car while texting and driving. I feel awful right now. She doesn't have insurance and it's going to cost me a fortune."

Troll: "Good! I hope she get big reward and much sexual satisfaction after this, too. Why you hate women so much?"

Old 11-10-2017, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,257 times
i dont do it as much anymore since ive gotten older but when i was younger maaaaan i enjoyed it with a deep passion! im not too fond of getting my account within a matter of 30 mins so kinda takes the fun out of trolling, and one time my IP was blocked on a mmorpg i use to play (had a troll account and 2 legit accounts) and that pretty much gave an end to my trolling

Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
No

Old 11-15-2017, 12:52 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Do you troll online? Why do you do it? Do you get any satisfaction from trolling?
Yes

To be humorous.

If I can make other people laugh from it, then yes, I do.

When I was younger, I use to get angry at everyone online and act like an outrageous troll.. Now adays I try to troll more in a sarcastic humorous way that other people will find funny also, including the person I'm responding to. There are times though when I just don't care who's on the other side, but that's when I'm frustrated and sick of a discussion - like politics.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
I'm not going to read all the way through, but I will respond. Trolling is more than just disagreeing with someone, just like a little bit of back-and-forth doesn't constitute stalking. Trolling is a deliberate and ongoing attempt to upset people for the troll's amusement. It is sometimes related to and devolves into stalking, and thus can have serious legal consequences.

It's also related to gass-lighting, which is an attempt to convince someone they're psychologically unstable. See:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Online, a lot of times it's kids with programming knowledge sufficient to forge headers and thus make it difficult or impossible for the authorities to find them.

And do I do this? Heavens, no. I don't want to deliberately hurt anyone. Lack of empathy for the suffering of others is, IMO, a species of psychopathology.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've had so many people attack my info that I posted and my replies too. So they are all trolls? I don't agree with everyone, and will say, let's just agree to disagree....One will talk about a certain med or supplement and I will offer what I think could be better and help their issue...is that trolling?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
I don't believe that I've trolled anybody.

I go by the rule that if I wouldn't say it to their face...then don't say it to them online.

I laugh at people turn into keyboard warriors. I also don't understand why someone would deliberately want to bash someone online. For thrills? To make themselves feel better? Boredom? All of those reasons maybe?

I have posted my opinions and have read opinions that I have disagreed with but don't consider it trolling if someone disagrees with me or even tells me I am wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and as long as they are respectful I am fine with it.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Falsifying headers on USENET so that you can post in what appears to be somebody else's account, causing as much damage to that person's reputation as possible is a lot different than merely disagreeing with an opinion. A number of years ago I read a book about this, written by a business woman who had been trolled, stalked and gas-lighted by another company. It's actually very common. She spent a small fortune fighting them.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've had so many people attack my info that I posted and my replies too. So they are all trolls? I don't agree with everyone, and will say, let's just agree to disagree....One will talk about a certain med or supplement and I will offer what I think could be better and help their issue...is that trolling?
Disagreement is part of conversation, it's not trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology