Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:32 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv View Post
This happens a lot with people who have depression or schizophrenia. They either don't have the energy for self-care or don't see the point.

Sometimes I skip a few days of showering if the house is really cold. I'd rather be dirty than cold. But it makes me feel crappy after a day or two.

But, OP, don't wash yourself for other people, do it for yourself. When I wash I feel like a whole new person. Fresh sheets are the best, too. Don't deprive yourself because you don't feel good about your appearance. Take it from me, a person who is pretty unattractive to the opposite sex. You're still worth it, no matter what you look like.
Do you not have heat at your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 09:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
OP....I suspect that you are depressed. Depression is a medical condition....and if you seek help the changes that you may be able to make may also improve your social opportunities.
Start with your medical Dr. and ask for a referral. Or, go to a social service agency that offers depression counseling for free or income based fees. Good luck to you.

https://www.caring.com/questions/dep...nd-not-bathing

https://www.attn.com/stories/4354/wh...ou-dont-shower

Why do some people not bathe? - Straight Dope Message Board

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ear/100069578/

Last edited by JanND; 12-02-2017 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: links

Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
I’ve always been like this....

Maybe I’m depressed, maybe it’s a mental illness but I can go MONTHS at a time without showering, I wear beat up clothes, stained jeans, beat up sneakers, cheap hoodie. I often times wear the same hoodie or shirt and jeans for weeks at a time. I never wash my clothes or even bed sheets. I never wash my face. I never cut or clean my nails. I forgo haircuts for weeks/months at a time. I only brush my teeth because my dentist scared me into it

The way I see it, I’m so ugly that I could be coogi down to the socks and I’d still be repulsive to women so what’s the point....
Your employee doesn't have a dress code?

Old 12-02-2017, 09:59 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
I’ve always been like this....

Maybe I’m depressed, maybe it’s a mental illness but I can go MONTHS at a time without showering, I wear beat up clothes, stained jeans, beat up sneakers, cheap hoodie. I often times wear the same hoodie or shirt and jeans for weeks at a time. I never wash my clothes or even bed sheets. I never wash my face. I never cut or clean my nails. I forgo haircuts for weeks/months at a time. I only brush my teeth because my dentist scared me into it

The way I see it, I’m so ugly that I could be coogi down to the socks and I’d still be repulsive to women so what’s the point....
Mod cut. Unfortunately I feel many young people these days have the same problem. Next time you are in a public place look around to see who got ready this morning, who has an iron and ironed their clothes and who groomed themselves.

I think it is a matter of having respect for yourself and others.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:19 AM

283 posts, read 327,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Your employee doesn't have a dress code?
I work a janitorial job. We wear aprons. I got ribbed for having a dirty apron yesterday which is what lead to this thread. Maybe it took being called out for me to finally do something about this after 7 years

Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 AM

104 posts, read 96,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you not have heat at your house?
There is no central heating at my house. I use a little space heater, but even so, the bathroom is drafty.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 AM

283 posts, read 327,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv View Post
There is no central heating at my house. I use a little space heater, but even so, the bathroom is drafty.
Your reasons another reason why I’ve always skipped showers

My house is cold af. I hate being cold. It’s also why I hate swimming. I’ll suck it up though

Old 12-02-2017, 12:13 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP....I suspect that you are depressed. Depression is a medical condition....and if you seek help the changes that you may be able to make may also improve your social opportunities.
Start with your medical Dr. and ask for a referral. Or, go to a social service agency that offers depression counseling for free or income based fees. Good luck to you.

https://www.caring.com/questions/dep...nd-not-bathing

https://www.attn.com/stories/4354/wh...ou-dont-shower

Why do some people not bathe? - Straight Dope Message Board

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ear/100069578/

These were very interesting, thanks Jan. But it makes one wonder what happened to the Victorian era folks who didn't bathe for months on end; maybe once a year? There was a period in history where water was considered bad for you, or bathing was. They didn't ALL die.

Many cultures exist where water is not abundant enough for regular bathing, but somehow they survive.

But for the OP, you don't want to offend others at your janitor job, do you? Taking a shower feels good; and it doesn't have to be every day.

At least you're getting exercise in your job---that's a step towards alleviating depression.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Depression.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Depression. Take a shower twice a week. Get in the habit. Keep yourself and your clothes clean. The dirty clothes and poor grooming lead to feelings of unworthiness. The feelings of unworthiness lead to more poor grooming. So break the cycle.

Yeah, yeah, its cold in the bathroom. Make yourself a hot drink before your shower. Get out, dry off, get into clean clothes and have the hot drink. Or, take your shower in the morning before work, and jump into clean work clothes.

If this is too much for you to do, get some sort of counseling to help with your feelings, which are making you a social outcast. This is no way for a civilized person to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology