Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:48 AM

34,752 posts, read 16,767,477 times

Advertisements

On New Years Eve, 45 years ago we visited my father in the hospital. While he had a "good day" the day before, he was semi-conscious, his legs waving in the air and the rest of him tied securely to the bed. The providers had unhooked the feeding tube, telling us that he (involuntarily) struggled too much. We understood it to mean that they knew the end was near and there was no point.

His sister and her significant other showed up after a New Years Eve engagement. My mother was told by the nurse that she was in party gear and wreaked of alcohol. She ordered the tubes reconnected, so they tied my father more securely (the way you would tie a cord of lumber) and put him back on. When I came back to the hospital I was livid. My mother said to just "let it be."

I went back to school the next day at the end of the holiday break. With a few dimes in my pocket to keep my tabs on what was going on. He died Thursday night/Friday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 07:54 PM

Default 45 Years Ago Today...

...in the wee hours of the morning, my father passed away after his battle with cancer. The trip to the Jewish funeral home was beyond disgusting. Seeing my mother and I, both red heads (coincidence) sitting there the guy said "you know, this is a Jewish funeral home." Then he tried to convince us to buy a casket that was more expensive than we needed, for a cremation. Flatly against Jewish custom if not law. Now lets stop with the bad things.

28 years ago tomorrow, I met my (now) wife for the first time. She is the love of my life. The moral of the story; good things follow bad things.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Things were different back then and it wasn't unheard of that some patients were NOT told how serious their illness was ( I didn't agree then or now). Parents also tried to shield their children as much as they could from the truth so as to not worry them or burden them.
I think that people, at some level, can sense the obvious.

See cancer sigh little real progress. Not much as changed since 1971-2.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Update:

Discussed in Receiving the notice.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:49 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,466,110 times
One day I'm going to have courage to read this thread. But seeing the title brought a flood of emotions, unexpectedly.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Since we're all "terminal," I would err on the side of being hopeful. People can see other people are sick, so there is that. I would just take the best care of the ill person possible and pray for miracles.

If they are on hospice, then you (meaning everyone) just have to cope and make their last days as comfortable as possible.

I don't think anything is gained by having macabre, dramatic conversations that will only depress and scare people.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
One day I'm going to have courage to read this thread. But seeing the title brought a flood of emotions, unexpectedly.
The OP should not make tough reading.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The OP should not make tough reading.
Apparently the title alone reminded him of something painful in his life that he doesn't view with the same analytic approach you use. You can't decide what's emotionally difficult for someone else to read.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Apparently the title alone reminded him of something painful in his life that he doesn't view with the same analytic approach you use. You can't decide what's emotionally difficult for someone else to read.
It's up to that poster what to read. Some such posts contain lots of emotional language. I tried to make it relatively unobjectionable.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:59 AM

I mentioned this thread indirectly in another post, My husband had a massive heart attack this morning and died. (link to post on thread), and wanted the thread topic to remain on other people's tragic and untimely losses. This thread is a repository of such posts for me.

Even though my mother's marriage to my natural father was no legendary love affair (it was not a terrible marriage either) I suspect she felt the seasonal discord more of the joy of the Christmas 1972 holiday season more than I did. She did say at the time that the seasonal merriment bothered her. I responded that we are in a different religion so I didn't care much either way.

The truth is that my father had had his first operation Labor Day weekend 1971. I had read up on rectal cancer, and asked some doctors I met "offline" (as discussed above in thread) what the outlook was so the fatal recurrence hardly surprised me. I loved my father but by that point, at 15, I knew that I had to move on. Dragging it out was not going to help him, my mother or me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology