Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Things were different back then and it wasn't unheard of that some patients were NOT told how serious their illness was ( I didn't agree then or now). Parents also tried to shield their children as much as they could from the truth so as to not worry them or burden them. Fast forward: WHen I was going through the process of determining if I had breast cancer the last thing I wanted to do was worry my dear son. Once diagnosed though I felt he needed to know and he needed the right to do what any loving person wants to do for someone they love, offer support. I think your mother denied you that. 15 is a terrible age to lose a parent and is one of those defining moments in life that can alter it and determine the future relationships.

This -- and children were protected from such things.

OP -- in 1971, when I was 11, I was shuttled off to my Aunt's house in the middle of nowhere. My aunt was very kind, and we had a lot of fun, and I got to help with the kids... but I knew something was up.

There was a lot of tension at home, a lot of hushed voices...my mother was pulling her eye brows out -- a clear indication something was WRONG...

And in the two weeks I was at my aunts, she got to tell me my favorite uncle had died.

And I got to mourn him away from my parents, and when they came to pick him up, I bottled up my feelings like a good girl, and went home. We never talked about it.

It was over ten years later and after my father had died I finally got the story.

Short form -- my uncles heart was dire, he was in his small local hospital and needed surgery at a major university hospital, and my father was racing to save his brother. When they got him stabilized, they were going to take him to the airport and fly him to Pittsburgh. No matter what the time. I needed to be in a safe place, so they could take off even in the middle of the night.

They never got him stable, his heart finally gave out. My parents went to the funeral, and then picked me up.

Even at 11, I would have understood, but the feeling was why worry the child? But they should have told me -- they had three flipping hours in the car on the way to my aunts.

But that's what they did back then. And I don't think parents do that now.

And since this was pretty much the only parenting misstep my parents made...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 12:06 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
I do wonder though why or what triggered you bringing this up after all these years?

Old 12-15-2017, 12:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
wow, you have been thinking about this for 45 years???

Sad story, and I am sorry. However ... it is time to move on and live a happy life.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:54 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I think the responsibility should be on the parent who is ill to determine when and how to tell the child. No third-party communication in healthy families, please.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Sad story, and I am sorry. However ... it is time to move on and live a happy life.
No. But I still live in the same area and have many of teh same friends. Some things are not constantly thought about but seared into my rather poor memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think the responsibility should be on the parent who is ill to determine when and how to tell the child. No third-party communication in healthy families, please.
That person was not told the nature of his illness.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I understand that often docs did not tell patients they were dying in the past. I think it was too hard for your mother to talk about this. If the doctor had told both of them, together, it would have been easier for her to talk to you. And then, possibly they would have found the strength to tell you together.

Obviously, your family should have had this difficult conversation together. I am sorry yours did not, and it is obvious you were affected by your not being told.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Well, this hit close to home !
6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer and I told my son the next week so he would have time to come to terms with it over a longer period of time rather then just be slammed with the news.
It's like the 5 stages of death and he's doing well with acceptance so I was able to get everyone's "Rational" input in helping me get my life's affairs in order.
All these emotions and crying just make the journey forward harder.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:53 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Well, this hit close to home !
6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer
I am sorry.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

It doesn’t work like that. It’s a piece of his time line where his life changed. It’s seared into his memory. An anniversary brings it back. It’s very likely if he hadn’t looked at a calendar today, it wouldn’t have come back at all.

And it doesn’t mean he isn’t living a full and happy life. It’s just a memory that came by, knocked on the door and said ”Hello, revisit me!”

And he decided to share and gain a little perspective.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:25 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It doesn’t work like that. It’s a piece of his time line where his life changed. It’s seared into his memory. An anniversary brings it back. It’s very likely if he hadn’t looked at a calendar today, it wouldn’t have come back at all.

And it doesn’t mean he isn’t living a full and happy life. It’s just a memory that came by, knocked on the door and said ”Hello, revisit me!”

And he decided to share and gain a little perspective.
Exactly. Especially when the calendar this month is the same as 1972's, i.e. December 15 is a Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology