Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:17 AM

9 posts, read 9,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
There are lots of people who practice at gun ranges, both men and women, who are very good shots. One doesn't have to be ex-military to be a sharpshooter.
I have carried a firearm for the majority of my life, 20 years as a LEO. I have seen a number of shootings and a large number of the cases where there is only one victim. In these single victim cases where a number of rounds have been fired you find what I refer to as "spray and pray". Victim see the weapon or his hit by the first round and tries their hardest to run. The suspects adrenalin is now off the chart as they start pulling the triggers so fast and so hard that the rounds go everywhere. One case there was fourteen rounds fired and only one round struck an individual in the arm.

Firing at a paper target is not like firing at a human being, there is ZERO comparison. When firing on the paper target your thinking of the breathing, trigger pull and sight alignment. NONE of that is thought of when it's a human. You know if that fleeing human gets away your screwed so you had better pump the rounds out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have a hard time believing some of what you say. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of firearms would never make a statement as you did...(7 spent cartridges tells me it's most likely not a revolver). First of all, 9mm is a semiauto round, not a revolver round. So a revolver is immediately eliminated, not that it makes any difference. And only a semiauto is going to eject empty casings. Also, if the perp was close enough, he could easily land six out of seven rounds. As for firearms proficiency, most military and LE are not that proficient. Most of them fire the bare minimum needed to maintain currency. How do I know? I'm retired military and LE. There are lots of firearms owners that are much more proficient than military and LE. But most criminals are not very proficient when it comes to firearms. So I'm guessing the killer was very close to the victim when he was firing. But an autopsy would have revealed the approximate distance the shots were fired from.

As for the perp's prior history when it comes to DV and failed relationships, how do you infer that? Same with thinking he's prior military or LE. They tend to be more law abiding than the general population. A real detective would approach this with an open mind, rather than boxing himself in with the assumptions you made.

So I'm guessing you're either a troll, an aspiring novelist or maybe a psych student.

You stated, "anyone with the slightest knowledge of firearms would never make a statement as you did (7 spent cartridges tells me it's most likely not a revolver). First of all, 9mm is a semiauto round, not a revolver round". Please take the time to research 9mm revolvers such a Taurus, Smith & Wesson, Charter Arms, and there are others.

Regarding the perpetrator's possible prior history of DV or failed relationships... in many cases where the killing is extremely personal such as this you will find the suspect knew the victim well and in many cases there was a history of control issues and or domestic issues. With some issues starting at an early age.

By far I am not "boxing myself in with assumptions", I am putting out thoughts in hopes of generating conversation that might add some vague light to this tragic crime.

I'am not a troll, aspiring novelist or even a psych student. Like you I am also retired from the military as well as a retired LEO.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
And that's also his only disquis comment, he opened the account just to post that.

The cops need to look harder at the ex's new gf. Better yet, they need to bring in the FBI bc imo, it sounds like some Barney Fife ****. It should have been solved since it's obviously someone in her day to day life.

Amelia's previous spouse is remarried with children from that marriage as well as one child with Amelia.

I agree that after nearly two years it's time for this case to be moved up the ladder either to SBI. A solid criminal profiler could surely help.

Being that "most people" believe this killing was "personal", being the suspect had to know her quite well to talk her into meeting in such a secluded area, a gated area closed at darkness, so many miles out of her normal travel, I also would tend to believe that LEO DOES have a solid suspect but need that one piece of evidence that will ensure a conviction.

I would be a dollar to doughnuts that the suspect is somewhere on her cellular telephone records, if not the one of the last to have spoken to her.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
More likely involved with the crime or knows the person who is. Lol

He's mentioned a few things that I haven't seen in the newspaper reports about her. He also acts incredulous when I mention that she had a temper. Very narrow minded about the personality and lifestyle of the victim.

Having personally met Amelia I would not consider my thought regarding her personality or lifestyle as narrow minded. I did not totally dismiss you remarks regarding temper, it is just something none of her co-workers or daily friends had ever seen.

Could it be that someone may have mischaracterized her years as a Marine as something to do with temper?

Old 01-04-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'll call a spade a spade when I feel it's appropriate.
I appreciate your comments and I understand where your coming from. However, I am thrilled to let you know that I not a "troll". As earlier stated, like you I am also retired from the military and retired from LEO. Just that we have different points of view. In many cases it does take many points of view to solve cases. Wishing you a wonderful day.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Indeed. That's a myth promoted by TV "experts" who seem to think the only people walking the earth who can hit the side of a barn at fifty yards are "military trained" or "former law enforcement." Whatever.

Relatively high percent of cops, lawyers, and military members are domestic abusers. PTSD just adds fuel to the fire.

Note I say "relatively." The incidence of abuse is higher than average. Not one out of two or something like that.

Someone talked this woman into going the opposite direction from her Job #1, which was her child. Or so we are led to believe.
Going 25 miles out of the way, she's going to be at least an hour late to pick up her daughter.

Who had undue influence over her? Did someone have some dirt on her? Did she have some dirt on someone? Was she seeing someone in the Sheriff's Department?

And yes, OP's narrative has a few holes that no experienced military member or retired LE would make. Seven rounds 9mm is OBVIOUSLY a semi. You'd have to be some sort of piker to make a statement about duh it might be a semi.

Yes, there ARE 9mm revolvers, but they're not common instruments.

The 9mm semi-auto pistol is as common as pennies in a cash register, and is the gat of choice for gangstaz and many PDs. And the military, by the way. And many civilians too.

If LE did it, or an old Marine acquaintance or friend, lots of stuff gets covered up by buddies inside.

Of many I found your response extremely interesting as you brought out some valid points such as "relatively high percent of cops, lawyers, and military members are domestic abusers. PTSD just adds fuel to the fire." LEO's are taught to develop a “command presence.†They are schooled, “If you look good, you feel good. If you look confident, people will perceive you to be confident.†Many police trainers acknowledge that men and women change once they don the uniform and equipment of an officer. The uniform, bulletproof vest, badge, gun belt with all of its accessories, and the squad car are all powerful symbols of authority. There are times that the work goes home with them.

When military or LEOs gives directions or orders to a person they expect the person to listen. Failure to comply with commands can be cause for escalating actions such as a citation or a physical restraint. As an example, if a uniformed officer yells at a person to stop and the individual continues walking away, the person might be arrested for resisting law enforcement by fleeing. Some individuals cannot separate their career life from their personal life. They “eat, live, die†their work. Their identity is defined by their uniform. Conflicts in their personal life may be seen as a challenge to their authority, power, or control of the other person and the situation. There are those that view everything in a black and white perspective. It is either wrong or right. There are no gray areas. Many will not tolerate their authority being questioned in the household.

Your final statement rings so true, "If LE did it, or an old Marine acquaintance or friend, lots of stuff gets covered up by buddies inside". I have personally seen a number of military and LE careers go down the drain because of the "brother hood". It's very easy to get caught up in that type of mentality and there were times that I was utterly shocked to learn who was involved.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
I have carried a firearm for the majority of my life, 20 years as a LEO. I have seen a number of shootings and a large number of the cases where there is only one victim. In these single victim cases where a number of rounds have been fired you find what I refer to as "spray and pray". Victim see the weapon or his hit by the first round and tries their hardest to run. The suspects adrenalin is now off the chart as they start pulling the triggers so fast and so hard that the rounds go everywhere. One case there was fourteen rounds fired and only one round struck an individual in the arm.

Firing at a paper target is not like firing at a human being, there is ZERO comparison. When firing on the paper target your thinking of the breathing, trigger pull and sight alignment. NONE of that is thought of when it's a human. You know if that fleeing human gets away your screwed so you had better pump the rounds out!
Could she have been shot execution style? She was found on her knees. There is no estimation on the range, either...Was she shot from 3 feet, 5 feet, 10 yards? Where were the casings found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
Amelia's previous spouse is remarried with children from that marriage as well as one child with Amelia.

I agree that after nearly two years it's time for this case to be moved up the ladder either to SBI. A solid criminal profiler could surely help.

Being that "most people" believe this killing was "personal", being the suspect had to know her quite well to talk her into meeting in such a secluded area, a gated area closed at darkness, so many miles out of her normal travel, I also would tend to believe that LEO DOES have a solid suspect but need that one piece of evidence that will ensure a conviction.

I would be a dollar to doughnuts that the suspect is somewhere on her cellular telephone records, if not the one of the last to have spoken to her.
Again, who is to say that she was lured there, as opposed to taken there (carjacked or kidnapped?) It would definitely explain the radio darkness, the lack of communication...

Old 01-04-2018, 12:26 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
I agree JONOV.
Looks like mafia style killing if we didn't know better. Young woman with small child doesn't fit the bill, but the shooting on the knees and the remote location does.
Just as easily could be drug deal gone bad. I suppose the homework has been done on this woman in that regard. I would look to her lifestyle to find the killer, was there anything shady in her present? Was she desperate for money? (Drugs and/or prostitution?)
Then there's the father of the child. definitely look into whether he didn't like paying child support if in fact he was paying it.
Unless she has a squeaky clean history and wasn't desperate for money, I would assume she knew her killer. If her history is clean and she had solid income, then I would consider random carjacking, etc. as a possibility, but an unlikely one. Follow the money and follow her troubles and problem people she knew.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Mafia-style in the South? As far as I know, neither the Italian Mafia nor drug cartels have much activity there. Maybe she was found on her knees because the shots that struck her made her unable to run anymore.

A toxicology report was done. I think if drugs had been found in her system, that would have been mentioned. I wonder if the vehicle was carefully checked for drug residue.

Important edit: why was she not discovered until the next day? There were 7 gunshots that nobody heard. Because the woods/distance makes noise hard to hear or because the killer used a silencer? Silencer means professional killer. http://www.firearmtutorials.com/inde...tion-silencers I'm dismissing the possibility that gunshots at night are normal there.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-04-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Mafia-style in the South? As far as I know, neither the Italian Mafia nor drug cartels have much activity there. Maybe she was found on her knees because the shots that struck her made her unable to run anymore.

A toxicology report was done. I think if drugs had been found in her system, that would have been mentioned. I wonder if the vehicle was carefully checked for drug residue.
She wasn't saying a mob hit...Just that it does appear she was shot execution style...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology