Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddleydoo22 View Post
No, but I'm sure that I look like one. I was out of college(dropout) and unemployed for 10 consecutive months before I got my last job. I held that job for nearly 4 whole months before I finally quit due to false accusations. I've been unemployed for a little over a month, now.
Do you have some kind of physical or sexual abuse in your background? Or did you experience frequent verbal putdowns from parents?

In my experience, it's people with abuse in their backgrounds who experience life this way. You need major counseling (both secular and spiritual) to heal it. It will take a constant effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 12:30 PM

57 posts, read 61,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Do you have some kind of physical or sexual abuse in your background? Or did you experience frequent verbal putdowns from parents?

In my experience, it's people with abuse in their backgrounds who experience life this way. You need major counseling (both secular and spiritual) to heal it. It will take a constant effort.
I don't think I was abused in any way at home, but I did get heavy whippings for mediocre grades and child-like behavior. Sometimes, my parents would act a little harsh, but that's normal. Right?

Old 12-20-2017, 12:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
1. Because I look like s*** and mainly do nothing. I've been looking for work for over a month. Rejections are common.

2. Yes. I am a social reject. I've always had trouble making or keeping friends. In grade school, I usually began the year with one or two bullies. By the end of the year, I had problems out of the entire class, including girls. I could even tell that the teachers didn't really like me. I don't ever remember being accepted or respected as a kid.
If by saying you look like s*** do you mean personal grooming? That can easily be fixed. If you're all tatted up or have a lot of piercings, that's harder to fix. Most employers want their employees to have clean clothes, and be well groomed. Not everyone is cut out to work in an office, but you have skills and things you're good at that are valuable to the right employer.

You know, Diddley, after rereading your posts, this is deep seated, and it would be hard to come out of a downward spiral that goes back to your childhood. You're not the only one who has ever been bullied, I remember talking to a friend whose daughter had her arm broken by a school bully. She insisted that her little girl forgive this lout because she knew that her daughter couldn't move forward until she did. When I run across bullies and jerks, I don't really forgive them but just let them go from memory, and trust that karma will give them their due. There is no point in giving these people a second thought, because keeping them in your head, hurts you more than it does them.

Just because you weren't accepted as a kid dosen't mean you can't be now as an adult. There are all types of people and it looks as though you already have friends on this thread. Talking to someone in person might help.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Because I look like s***

That's easy to fix.

Haircut
Shave
Modest button down shirt. Long sleeve if you have armfuls of tats.
Neatly pressed slacks.
Shined shoes.
No face metal.
Sit up straight, don't slouch.

That, and a respectful attitude toward prospective employers, works wonders in job interviews.

Look like ****, get treated like ****.

Look and act respectable, and you'll be treated with respect.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
You probably need a therapist to help you get your life on track. You're not that old but the longer you wait, the harder it is to make changes. I would go asap

Old 12-20-2017, 01:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
I don't think I was abused in any way at home, but I did get heavy whippings for mediocre grades and child-like behavior. Sometimes, my parents would act a little harsh, but that's normal. Right?
No. Heavy whippings are not normal.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
No. Heavy whippings are not normal.
There was no blood. I'm sure a lot of other kids had it similar, if not worse.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That's easy to fix.

Haircut
Shave
Modest button down shirt. Long sleeve if you have armfuls of tats.
Neatly pressed slacks.
Shined shoes.
No face metal.
Sit up straight, don't slouch.

That, and a respectful attitude toward prospective employers, works wonders in job interviews.

Look like ****, get treated like ****.

Look and act respectable, and you'll be treated with respect.
I don't have any tattoos. I guess I just don't keep myself up like I used to. I stopped working out about 5 years ago, and I usually wear casual clothing everywhere except big events or job interviews.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Hmmm—. If you don’t respect yourself enough to take care of your body, why would you expect others to respect you?

We only get one body. How we treat ourselves is often how we are treated by others.

It sounds like you had a rough time growing up. And I suspect there is more to the story about you quitting your job. I think there is a lot you are leaving out of your story. I also suspect you know why you have not been well liked.

From what you have told us, there is no meaningful way to give you a good answer. I think we need more and better info.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Being physically assaulted over mediocre grades is abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology