Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 957 times

Advertisements

I struggle with feelings of inadequacy and I often feel like everybody else is much better off than I am. A little background info: I'm 26 years old, I have a masters degree in anthropology and I have been unemployed since I turned in my thesis six months ago.

First off, I have a hard time accepting the way other people perceive me versus the way I really am when I'm at home or with people I feel comfortable with. I'm always being told that I seem 'to have everything under control', former employers have told me that I won't have a hard time finding another job, because 'who wouldn't want to employ somebody like me?' etc. I don't know why people percieve me this way. I see myself as quite casual both in the way I behave, the way I dress, the way I live my life and regarding the people I surround myself with. Nothing out of the ordinary. The fact that other people tell me all of these things should catapult my self esteem to the moon, but I struggle with severe feelings of inadequacy anyway. I think this originates in the fact that I know that I'm really not as perfect as all of these people make me out to be. I don't have any kind of succes finding a job, I don't have any kind of succes finding a girlfriend (the few short relationships I've had, I managed to completely destroy myself) and I basically don't consider myself as being succesful in any of life's aspects.

On the other hand, I watch other people with envy. I firmly believe (even though that deep down inside I know it's not true) that other people are happier, more succesful and generally have a better life than me. I'm not the kind of person to dwell on social media too often or too long, but when I do, I get anxious, jealous and feel extremely inadequate seeing how other people portray themselves. This is especially prevailing when I (accidentally) come across pictures of ex-flirts.
I've deleted my Facebook account telling people that I didn't find it useful anymore, but really it's all about the pressure to look good, post pictures etc. that I couldn't handle anymore. I still use Instagram and I post every now and then, but I try to be realistic when I do. Still, I feel an immense pressure to make me or the social situation that I post about look as good as possible.
I get the feelings of inadequacy when I look at other peoples accounts and posts - and I can almost feel the way that other people have the same stress of looking good resting upon them.

Are these feelings normal? Are everyone else feeling like me and facing life with a mask of appearing happy even though they are anxious as well? I could use some input on this. My brain is going nuts. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 04:38 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Could this be symptoms of depression?

Old 12-20-2017, 05:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Research imposter syndrome.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theconfusedandlost1 View Post
I'm not the kind of person to dwell on social media too often or too long, but when I do, I get anxious, jealous and feel extremely inadequate seeing how other people portray themselves.

I get the feelings of inadequacy when I look at other peoples accounts and posts - and I can almost feel the way that other people have the same stress of looking good resting upon them.
... and read this as well.

https://www.anxiety.org/social-media-causes-anxiety

Social media may not be for you.

In the meantime, keep reminding yourself that you can't compare your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 PM

104 posts, read 96,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Could this be symptoms of depression?

I would agree. It does sound like depression.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
I think Social media makes everyone feel inadequate,I don't bother trying to live up to the idea of life I want to convey or that others wants to convey.Western society puts a lot of pressure on people to achieve and acquire and live some perfect lifestyle but you are better off just living your most authentic life and giving your soul what it needs.

You followed your passion by studying anthropology and that's to be commended you remained true to yourself,not many do.It doesn't always amount like those following a more ordinary path but I think you will be glad in years to come that you did it and have that MA.People may show their life as all sunshine and roses but in reality most hate waking up on Monday,and slug through their lives.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:44 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
I only read the first and last paragraphs.
It's a mistake to compare your insides to everyone else's outsides, actually... it's a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology