Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you and your partner sit at a restaurant?
Side-by-side 7 9.46%
Across the table from each other 48 64.86%
It varies 19 25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:22 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times

Advertisements

Most of the time we're sitting across from each other but there have been times when Mr C was sitting right next to me - trivia game on one set, chair, rather booth seat uncomfortable (coil coming through seat, frame too far forward/backward), sun in eyes but the staff can't pull down shade as it would block fire exit (I know that seems strange but it was a reason we were given while at a Greene Turtle). Also, I concur with another person on here that said moving to sit side by side, so they can hear each other better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 10:56 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
It seems most restaurants have cranked up the volume. Music noise is out of control. It's like going out to eat is now a party atmosphere instead of a dining experience. Personally, I'm not hard of hearing but I find it impossible to carry on a meaningful conversation. I'm not opposed to sitting next to someone just so I can hear them and I don't like shouting when I eat. Makes me think of "see food".

Old 12-25-2017, 12:09 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I don't notice, nor would I care. Judging random strangers is a huge waste of time!

Old 12-25-2017, 12:58 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
whats the big deal? I dont understand, it could be either(It varies).

Old 12-25-2017, 03:43 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
we usually sit facing each other, unless there's a good view, in which case we both face that.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
My first reaction is that it's none of your freakin' business and I don't care if it drives you crazy.

You have no idea what the situation is between any two people that either sit next to each or across from each other.

Many restaurants have god-awful background music that exacerbates the noise of people talking.

I wear hearing aids. In a noisy environment my girlfriend and I sit side by side so we can talk. In a quiet environment we sit across from each other. The other day we were at a place where the booth had cushioned seat on one side and wooden chairs on the other so we both sat together on the cushioned seat.

Make sense?

There is no rhyme or reason to it.

And there is no reason for you to be driven crazy by what other people do.

Jeez, I read some of these discussions and a wonder: from out of what woodwork do some of you people come?

The bottom underlined response seems at odds with your bolded advice to the OP, and a very strong and insulting reaction to such an ambiguous topic. Care to elaborate?

Old 12-25-2017, 06:09 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
We occasionally sit side-by-side. Maybe the restaurant has an awesome view that we both want to enjoy. Maybe the restaurant is too loud for us to have a conversation if we are sitting across from one another. Maybe we simply want to be closer to one another. There could be any number of reasons. It never occurred to me that anyone would find it odd (or find it to be their business, for that matter). We will sit where we damn well please!

Old 12-25-2017, 06:19 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
Of all the things to be irked about in life this is the least of it. I can't even say I noticed or cared how other diners sat,as long as they weren't doing anything that disturbed the other patrons. how we look to others I definately couldn't give a monkeys backside.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:25 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
[quote=adjusterjack;50495075]My first reaction is that it's none of your freakin' business and I don't care if it drives you crazy.

You have no idea what the situation is between any two people that either sit next to each or across from each other.

Many restaurants have god-awful background music that exacerbates the noise of people talking.

I wear hearing aids. In a noisy environment my girlfriend and I sit side by side so we can talk. In a quiet environment we sit across from each other. The other day we were at a place where the booth had cushioned seat on one side and wooden chairs on the other so we both sat together on the cushioned seat.

Make sense?

There is no rhyme or reason to it.

And there is no reason for you to be driven crazy by what other people do.

Jeez, I read some of these discussions and a wonder: from out of what woodwork do some of you people come?

[/QUOTE

Yes, there are times the ambient noise is so loud in a place I can't hear my husband due to tone deafness or my tinnitus is really loud so I have to sit next to or on the corner.

As for your last comment I agree although it does make conversation on here at times amusing at all of humanities quirks.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:18 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
I've always thought that in the beginning of a relationship a couple wanted to sit side by side as that intimate touching of the lower body parts keeps the spark constantly reigniting.
As the relationship matures past the initial discovery of intimacy as time alters the meaning of sex, you realize that you need a break from the physical part and need to rediscover mental intimacy which is eye contact in order to keep the relationship alive and that another meaning of intercourse is : communication or dealings between individuals or groups.

To this day when I'm out, I admire seeing an older couple deep in conversation and entirely focused on the eyes of who they are speaking with.
You just know that they have a lot of experiences and time being with each other to be able to hold that intense moment of conversation which represents a deep unseen bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology