Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM

23,426 posts, read 13,660,350 times

Advertisements

I am coming to the end of a, practically (had to work one day) of a three week vacation and, of course, want to start it off right and then, continually to do so.

I was looking through the earlier entries in my diary for this past 6 weeks and noted one entry about taking off for work in the blackness of the night. That when I get up, it should be for getting ready, to have a good breakfast, and not rushing around doing last minute house work, rushing to make sure the pets are taken care of for the time of the shift. Taken care of, yes, but not rushing around doing it.

Is it more than the kitchen? Should we wake up to put on some music such as "On a Clear Day You can see forever"?

Some say it is the making of the bed for in doing so, one has at least accomplished something. Power to them but my bed is not made that way.

So what can we do to make our first steps back to work, be it after a fortnight, be it the next day, positive ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM

3,275 posts, read 2,978,908 times
Back in the day when I had to get up and get in to work by 8AM five days a week, the more I had prepared the night before, the more peace of mind I had and the less frazzled I felt. I didn't always follow my own advice, but when I had actually taken the time and thought to pick out what I was going to wear and planned what I was going to have for breakfast, I had a better start to my day. This applied especially to going back after a break.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,192,675 times
I think our surroundings have an impact on our state of mind. I am generally a messy person and I leave things out because I forget about them if they are "hidden away" - so I'm a "piles" person and not a person who puts everything away before they start on another activity.

That said, I feel better if things are not TOO messy. Certainly I clean and tidy up and feel better AFTER I've put everything in the dishwasher than before! And I am that person who makes their bed every day because it's true that no matter how tidy your bedroom is, an unmade bed undoes all your work - and a made-up bed feels better on the skin at the end of the day.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
Things that made me happy when I had to go to work in the morning:

Routine
Coffee
Time to chill and not rush around like a crazy person
Sunshine
Happy Music what ever that may be for you. If I am dancing around while getting ready I am happy.
Clothes already ready for me to put on.(either laid out or already ironed)

Attitude...and think of something/anything that you are thankful for

I try to clean everything up the night before so I can start my day fresh. No dishes in the sink.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:15 AM

23,426 posts, read 13,660,350 times
With me, my boy cat, Gizzy, takes over the bed soon after I vacate it. So him being there among the sheet and throws makes him "Aren't you the most comfortable in the house!". Further, I don't think I've had a "properly made bed" of things like a bed spread in decades. The most has been pillows at one end, folded throws at the other.

Three things I think about taking off on the right foot are first of all, getting up with plenty of time to do things. We all strive for more sleep and in my case with my dreams, I probably want it more. It takes me a minimal of 90 minutes for a proper take off but I think for a relaxed one, it should be at least 2 hours.

Secondly is not to get caught up in auxiliary thing upon getting up such as seeing who has responded to me on the Net. Such can surely wait but I think few of us are immune. Still, however, if not one thing, then another? Get up, stretch in bed, and then go to the dance room to stretch at the barre? Something for thought but it won't be happening at least for probably 2 months for while the dance room is almost cleared out, it is hardly set up.

One thing I do in this view which doesn't eat up that much time is after I wake up and take care of the immediate, I sit on the edge of the bed, one leg off, one leg crossed, and reflect for a few minutes.

Finally, that at least 2 hours? It probably should be plus another half hour because country roads at night with wildlife is really not the time to proceed at full speed.

Other things could be living more in the things that describe us. In the path at work between my parking place and my work center door, I see that (especially at the elevator) of cowgirl in boots, jeans, tac shirt, jacket, hat with backpack and bag over the shoulder. It is the look I like but are there little things we can change in ourselves? Such as, with me, not picking up a few pieces of fruit to toss in the bag as I dash out the door but have a prepared mesh bag ready to go? It's me, it's minor, but when it is about "us", the minor things can become major influences, ...... right?

One of the things I commented on last year about moving into the house was to be able to get dressed in one section of the house instead of having to do it in multiple places. That is, in the rental, the shower was upstairs, the boot closet as well but the dresser was down stairs. It is not a feature I have entirely engaged in 2017 but now, after this break, that things are a bit more organized (or are about to be), I may be able to do it more, all in the mistress bedroom complex.

Concepts like this I see sort of as "norming". That is, in my nocturnal life style, what I might do to live something like a normal person.

The thing about "a made-up bed feels better on the skin at the end of the day." is a good one but from my angle, it is the part about "at the end of the day". It is pretty clear when I have to be up but what often is not is when I get to call the end of the day. As I say, "If I am lucky, my schedule changes from day to day. And if I am not lucky? Then there is no schedule at all!".

New semester, new class schedule, new dance routines, new commitments. It's an A, B, and C.

A: When one is so busy, there is not much time to waste on the frivolous, such as the extra glasses of wine at the end of the day or people who only talk to you when you talk to them (my two biggest ones). So there are the positive steps forward.

B: Realize and accept that there will be days when you don't sleep at the same time or even in your bed (I am seeing at least one night as crashing at work before my shift). After so many years of living like this, I don't think I have yet to accept it entirely.

C is "Make the best of it"........hints?

Old 01-05-2018, 12:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
I find it best to keep to a regular routine, to ensure getting to work on time with minimal frustration. For me it's get up at 4am, shower and dress, go downstairs where I turn on the TV news for traffic and weather while relaxing for a half hour or so and having one cup of coffee.

I leave for work at about 5am. The dishes are always done the night before, and I eat breakfast at work, as I prefer to be up at least a couple of hours before eating, even on the weekends. I lay out my clothes before bed, to avoid turning on lights and waking up my wife who sleeps 2 hours later.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Back in the day when I had to get up and get in to work by 8AM five days a week, the more I had prepared the night before, the more peace of mind I had and the less frazzled I felt. I didn't always follow my own advice, but when I had actually taken the time and thought to pick out what I was going to wear and planned what I was going to have for breakfast, I had a better start to my day. This applied especially to going back after a break.
This...

plus, a clean kitchen is very nice to walk into any time...

Old 01-05-2018, 05:15 PM

10,818 posts, read 7,191,344 times
while a clean house is a joy, I don't like having to clean it.
I need a housewife.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times
I always feel better about my day when I've spent the evening before setting the house to rights.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:55 PM

344 posts, read 242,880 times
Always clean my kitchen the night before so I can relax and have my coffee early before everyone gets up. Before I leave the house kitchen is clean, bed is made, and living room/bathroom are straightened up. I function better being organized and it's nice coming home to a clean house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology