Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 AM

1,090 posts, read 579,642 times

Advertisements

This is really a very minor issue, and I'm not entirely sure why it bugs me. I have this one friend who, at least once a year after a notably large snowstorm, will go on and on about how he made it into work and had a really good day with nobody around. This most recent storm gave us a foot of snow and very hazardous driving conditions. His company had a "95% absentee rate" that day. But he was in. He went in early and stayed late to avoid the worst driving times, was incredibly productive, and didn't have to waste a vacation day like everyone else. And, he would have been totally bored if he stayed home. (P.S. His wife was home, and they generally enjoy spending time together.)

I don't know why it annoys me. On some level, I'm happy that he had a good day. Do I somehow choose to feel guilty because I took a snow day, stayed safe and enjoyed my extra free time while he worked hard? Do I wonder why he'd choose to work over spending extra time with his wife? (If I was happily married, I know what I'd choose.) Or maybe it's just that I'm tired of hearing the story every year. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
It happens once a year. You can put up with it. Or alternately, some gentle teasing could put it in perspective for him.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
He still gets to spend the same amount of time with his wife since he didn't have to waste a vacation day. He will get to spend that time with his family whenever he pleases and when the weather is nice enough to actually enjoy it.
I'm guessing that's his thought process on it as that would be mine. I hate being stuck inside in the winter, so I'd rather work as well.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
This is really a very minor issue, and I'm not entirely sure why it bugs me. I have this one friend who, at least once a year after a notably large snowstorm, will go on and on about how he made it into work and had a really good day with nobody around. This most recent storm gave us a foot of snow and very hazardous driving conditions. His company had a "95% absentee rate" that day. But he was in. He went in early and stayed late to avoid the worst driving times, was incredibly productive, and didn't have to waste a vacation day like everyone else. And, he would have been totally bored if he stayed home. (P.S. His wife was home, and they generally enjoy spending time together.)

I don't know why it annoys me. On some level, I'm happy that he had a good day. Do I somehow choose to feel guilty because I took a snow day, stayed safe and enjoyed my extra free time while he worked hard? Do I wonder why he'd choose to work over spending extra time with his wife? (If I was happily married, I know what I'd choose.) Or maybe it's just that I'm tired of hearing the story every year. Who knows?

If you choose to feel guilty that's on you. You could just be happy for him and make a joke about it and let it go. Like the other poster my husband would rather go to work than be stuck in the house in the winter and it has nothing to do with him not enjoying being with me. He'd prefer the vacation day and we can go spend another day somewhere nice for a wee break or holiday.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:32 PM

1,090 posts, read 579,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I hate being stuck inside in the winter, so I'd rather work as well.
I suppose it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. I'm not a huge fan of winter either, but I kind of like being stuck at home, so long as it's just for a day (and around here, it's rarely more than a day).

I do admire his work ethic, and am glad he's happy with his job, but I'm long past the point where I would risk my safety driving in a blinding snowstorm unless it was critical. And for me, going to work isn't critical. My friend had a very productive day during the storm, whereas I'd have had little to do if I went in.

Also, I have enough vacation time that one or two "snow days" a year makes no difference to me. To him, it's criminal.

I guess I need to choose to view his stories as just that -- stories -- as opposed to thinking of them as bragging. ("Look at me! The whole state stayed home, but I went to work!)

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Moving on now...

Old 01-15-2018, 02:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I had a supervisor like this. In a way he was bragging. He was the most devoted...could and would go to the ends of the earth for his job. He was so much more productive than the rest of us wimps. It wasn't true. He simply liked to feel superior to other mortals. Did it annoy the rest of us? You bet! But, by not responding, it sort of deflated him and he didn't get the reward he hoped for. Did this guy get more respect? No, most others felt he was a sanctimonious PITA.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

Hraring basically the same storyevery year gets tiresome.

And maybe his actions make you feel a bit like an underperformer.

But, I tend to agree with your viewpoint. And you know what? His bosses won’t notice or care.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:58 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
This post made me think of a co-worker I had years ago. She was always going on about how she had worked late the night before... how she always was the last one in the office, etc. It was odd... because our office wasn't really the type where folks worked overtime or excessive hours. So, to me, it came off as some form of bragging.

I later found out that she was completely behind on all her paperwork due to socializing with co-workers all day.. and that is why she had to stay late. LOL

Old 01-16-2018, 03:15 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This post made me think of a co-worker I had years ago. She was always going on about how she had worked late the night before... how she always was the last one in the office, etc. It was odd... because our office wasn't really the type where folks worked overtime or excessive hours. So, to me, it came off as some form of bragging.

I later found out that she was completely behind on all her paperwork due to socializing with co-workers all day.. and that is why she had to stay late. LOL
Yep. Often the case. Not only because of socializing, but being disorganized, easily distracted by unimportant detail, and inability to prioritize.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Yep. Often the case. Not only because of socializing, but being disorganized, easily distracted by unimportant detail, and inability to prioritize.
I agree- but in this particular person's case, it really was just excessive socializing. She was competent in other ways. After I learned about why she was staying late, I realized I had noticed her constantly talking and joking with co-workers, and it all made sense (the late hours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology