Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

The "blues" and clinical depressíon are not the same...

IMO, you could benefit by a visit with your MD and/or psych evaluation for a precise diagnosis, possible medication and therapy.

There are many different meds and at times you must try several before finding one that works for you. Same for therapists. These avenues do work if you take time to find the correct meds and therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Since you haven't mentioned anything that would make me miserable that there was nothing I could do about; I can't relate.

Unless you are chained inside your physical body or inside your home due to you or a loved one's disability?

Congratulations; you have autonomy.

Welcome back. How's the thyroid.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
No I’m just getting emails from staffing agencies that act if I’m the best candidate they’ve ever had and then hear nothing. Or people that are offering about 15K less than I make now.
You have to tackle each thing one at a time. As far as therapy goes, it will only work if YOU ARE WILLING TO CHANGE. Therapy doesn't fix your life. Therapy provides tools and the techniques that aid you as YOU make changes.

Create a prioritized list and begin working on your top priority. Your job search has nothing to do with age discrimination. I've gotten jobs in my 40s. Have you had anyone review your resume? Have you kept up with current technology? What field are you in?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
OP: I have not read all the comments but I get what you are saying..I'm almost double your age. And thinking back to my 40 yrs of working, I never had issues finding work...there was plenty of work and then so MUCH industry went overseas and the tech industry exploded. The tech industry wants YOUNG people, sad but true. The secretarial world was major, now bosses do their own computing.

I went thru what you go thru now when I was 63 and was "let go" as the boss wanted to clean house and then hired all Younger People.

Wish I had some answers for you, I guess I'm glad to be way past that part of my life.

When I lost my last bigger job at 63, I did full time childcare for a couple yrs and that helped me thru it all along with early social security benefits.

It's a new world and many are having a lot of trouble supporting themselves and yet with fulfilling work. Try to change your mind and hang in where you are.

I agree on the thyroid, sluggish thyroid can really mess us up. It's not everything but it's major.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-17-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Hate my job....and been trying for years to fine a new one but nothing.
I am the most reliable employee and a top performer and am told “I’m the best hire they’ve ever had”. But can’t seem to move to a new position because they only hire people under 30. I’m 43. I was hired only because they wanted to try someone different. I’m the only one that lasted....most people couldn’t handle the amount of work.
I’m depressed. Meds haven’t worked.
Exercise helps for maybe an hour.
My husband isn’t into me at all.
I’ve lost friends because they have kids now and tell me that it’s hard to relate to people who don’t have them.
I’m too afraid of suicide.
I just don’t know what else to do?
I’ve tried counselers in the past also but that doesn’t work.
I feel mentally and physically sick (but always able to exercise)
But my last blood test only showed a little bit elevated blood sugar which I’ve correcting with diet and I thought that would help my mood but it hasn’t.
Why don’t you get divorced or if that’s too much trouble, just have an affair like everyone else does?

Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Why don’t you get divorced or if that’s too much trouble, just have an affair like everyone else does?
That is easier said than done for MANY and an affair is so far from any answer.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Then I'd get serious about not counseling, but CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). You need a psychologist for that, not a counselor, and you might or might not need meds.
Cognitive therapy can be REALLY good for depression. It seems to be one of the few forms of therapy that can help people out of those negative thought loops--but you have to do it. It does take effort.

There is a classic book on it that you can get at the library or Amazon called "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy".

https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-...w+mood+therapy

Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
My husband isn’t into me at all.
What about how you feel about him and the marriage ???
Is this marriage something you want or want out of ???

Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That is easier said than done for MANY and an affair is so far from any answer.
She said she’s miserable every day and mentioned suicide, so she might as well try out other options before that. It’s her life. If affairs aren’t fun, why do so many people have them?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
She said she’s miserable every day and mentioned suicide, so she might as well try out other options before that. It’s her life. If affairs aren’t fun, why do so many people have them?
Affairs can only be the beginning of more messy issues. I don't know many who have them.

People say a lot of things, I've found here on groups around here. We never KNOW all they are thinking,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology