Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

OP a bit odd. But, it seems that you both have a bit of a quirk when it comes to food. Your description shows that you too are a bit obsessed.

So, you can take it as a compliment that she knew your food would be delightful, and not begrudge her the lack of manners for planning how to take some home.

Or, you can simply not invite her over for food again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I can't imagine anyone over 40 doing it either. Weird.
Well, it's classic behavior from my grandfather's wife and some peers of my parents. That's why I asked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 AM

136 posts, read 80,569 times
This is not about money or frugality....it's just really difficult to find food that tastes good unless you cook it yourself. Mid-range restaurants, retirement homes, Meals on Wheels....they just can't cook tasty meals. And I'm willing to bet that the 66 year old woman does not cook for herself or her family. The OP should invite her to lunch more often, she clearly knows what good food is supposed to taste like.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:28 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamppy View Post
This is not about money or frugality....it's just really difficult to find food that tastes good unless you cook it yourself. Mid-range restaurants, retirement homes, Meals on Wheels....they just can't cook tasty meals. And I'm willing to bet that the 66 year old woman does not cook for herself or her family. The OP should invite her to lunch more often, she clearly knows what good food is supposed to taste like.
I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe she's just a horrible cook and the chance to take back some tasty home cooked food was an opportunity she couldn't pass up, so she came prepared, lol.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Might I ask how old this woman is? I can't imagine anyone under 40 bringing takeout containers to a lunch date.
I can imagine a woman or anyone for that matter doing this at ANY age!!’

Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 AM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamppy View Post
You're correct; this is not about money or frugality.

It's about entitlement: a character flaw this 66 year-old *whoever* clearly possesses. She does not possess humility or shame or even basic social skills.

She was graciously invited to a lovely meal at the hand and home of an acquaintance. This acquaintance may very well be known to love and make delicious meals. She felt that she deserved - DESERVED, and WOULD SUCCEED - in taking home the remainder of someone else's work... work she is not willing to do herself. So entitled did she feel, in advance, that she came prepared to take something that didn't belong to her. So deserving of this did she feel that she didn't consider that her HOST would want to use the remainder of the meal.

A compliment would be gushing over the meal and asking if her host could share the recipe. (The host would have likely offered to send her home with a bowl AND that recipe.)

The OP's guest should not be invited again. If she is, it is the OP's choice and he'll go into it knowing what to expect and be prepared to say no or withhold the initial amount that seems "available."

Last edited by LieslMet; 01-21-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-21-2018, 12:42 PM

859 posts, read 704,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Interesting....however, she arrived with her own containers. That implies planning to pack them full of someone else's offering before they even offered it. Maybe a little sign on the front door; "please check all containers before entering."
I know, and if she used to take this as a habit, it's not a good habit.
I'm talking about the method she used. look, she used the same method TWICE. Her method wasn't randomly, her method was for purpose, and this purpose is to make taking her second dish appropriatee. She didn't ask him/her directly (Why) Because she knows that's would be inappropriate behavior. So, She ate her dish, and asked for another one while she wasn't hungry, just in order to make it labeled as her own dish so that it's OK (For her) if she asked later to take it. She didn't think that the other could focus on how many dishes (food) she ate.
In our measurements, it's inappropriate method because the host already noticed and annoyed.
But according to her own measurements, she found it appropriate. That's why she made it TWICE!
Let's call what she did was" Method A"

Imagine that the host presented to her the first dish, and then she ate a little from it, then put a dish aside. Later, she asked to take it. NEVER asked for another dish. Let's call this assumption " Method B"
Would it be EXACTLY the same thing as what she did in "Method A"?
Would it EXACTLY bother the host as "Method A" ?

No, not the same!
Both inappropriate but Method B is much better in comparison with Method A
She did Method A in order to make it seems like Method B.
She forgot or didn't take into consideration that there is someone could focus on her.
This is what I think but I'm not sure.

Ultimately, she is an old lady not young !! I didn't expect that. Usually we don't focus on some behaviors that old people do. It's OK.

If she doesn't have other annoying behaviors like inappropriate speaking as example, just this behavior you all discussed above, then I see, it doesn't deserve not to invite her again for other occasions. But take into account full preparing for her containers.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:10 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I can imagine a woman or anyone for that matter doing this at ANY age!!’

Oops, I meant I CAN'T IMAGINE!!!

Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Why is everyone labeled 'entitled' on CD? (and stated like it's a diagnosis). I don't hear this buzzword all the time IRL.

Anyway, it's totally wrong, definitely, manners wise. But if OP enjoys her company I don't see why advice is to never have her again. Everyone has quirks, and if we never tolerate a quirk, we will find ourselves totally alone quickly.

It depends on if it matters to him that he will be serving two portions when she comes. If he doesn't, it's not a thing.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
We have two people at our church who always preemptively pack up to-go boxes before everyone has gotten food at the regular potlucks we have. But, they are both developmentally disabled seniors. We tend to make extra for them, because we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology