Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 01:12 AM

17 posts, read 19,921 times

Advertisements

People with some kind of mental illness is very common, often leading to very bad things; for them and for others. No other species seems to deal with mental issues anywhere near humans. That being said, given how inherently extremely flawed the human mind is, do we really deserve to view ourselves as some kind of advanced species? Seems as if some advanced alien species came along they'd have every right to wipe us out for being such genetic defects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
People with some kind of mental illness is very common, often leading to very bad things; for them and for others. No other species seems to deal with mental issues anywhere near humans. That being said, given how inherently extremely flawed the human mind is, do we really deserve to view ourselves as some kind of advanced species? Seems as if some advanced alien species came along they'd have every right to wipe us out for being such genetic defects.
Mental illness is not genetic defect.
How do you know other species don't have mental illness.?
Sounds like you've been up all nite.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:24 AM

17 posts, read 19,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Mental illness is not genetic defect.
How do you know other species don't have mental illness.?
Sounds like you've been up all nite.
How is mental illness not a genetic defect? It wouldn't have "illness" in the title were things all firing on all cylinders and working as it should. Clearly and advanced alien species that were capable of coming to Earth wouldn't suffer from those issues given their ability to do so.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:36 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Some metal issues are chemical and all animals might be affected by that.
We had a dog once that there seemed to be no other explanation for her behavior.
We don't really know whether or not non-speaking animals think, feel or why they sometimes act the way they do.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:13 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
How is mental illness not a genetic defect? It wouldn't have "illness" in the title were things all firing on all cylinders and working as it should. Clearly and advanced alien species that were capable of coming to Earth wouldn't suffer from those issues given their ability to do so.
No, you explain to me how mental illness IS a genetic defect....no environmental impacts at ALL? Find me some journal articles.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Have you had conversations with these other species? Either way people who study animal behavior will tell you differently.
BBC - Earth - Many animals can become mentally ill

Who says your aliens won't also have mental issues?

Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Setting aside for the moment the issue of mental illness, per se, there is little chance, to my mind, that humans are some sort of advanced species. This is the reason:

Quote:
The worldwide number of animals killed for food in 2000 was 45 billion, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization. This included 306 million cattle, buffalo, and calves, 1.2 billion pigs, 795 million sheep and goats, and 42.7 billion chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese.
Not to mention genocide, the very real possibility of nuclear war, and Mod cut.. Religious intolerance is another factor. Our history is bloody and cruel. Lacking empathy for the suffering of animals could arguably be perceived as mental illness, to return to the central topic of the thread.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-20-2018 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Save politics for the Politics forum, please.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
I absolutely get your point. We humans think we are so advanced and so smart. All you have to do is turn on the evening news to realize we are as dumb as a rock. We hate killing, yet we are constantly at war, we hate pain and suffering, but we look the other way while so many others are experiencing exactly that.

I really have very little respect for we humans. A lot of animals are nicer, more compassionate, and smarter than we are.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:35 AM

283 posts, read 408,777 times
Look Animals don't and can't speak so we as human's don't know their mental situation. I have had dog's and cats that seem to be depressed, some that are like omg ADHD and some that are like on top of the mental game and know what we are saying and do exactly the right thing at the right time.
Human's do in fact and can inherit mental illness. In my own bloodline bipolar, severe depression and severe mental disorders that I seem not to be able to spell do run in my family. We have seen more than our fair share of suicide and mental breakdowns than I wish to count. I have son's who I have had to watch intensely from the ages of 16-25 to make sure that the cures as I call it doesn't hit them. Science has proven that genetics do in fact have loads to do with certain mental illnesses in families.
Look I know just from my life experiences that it would be stupid to think we were all along in the universe's which they are billions, but no they don't want to come bother us, they know were stupid being's and not worth their time and concern. We are a very young planet in comparison to most other's I am sure. we are just a couple of billion of years but until we let religion out of our mindset we can not move forward in the brain game so no they don't have time or care to mess with us, but animals other than human talk for now, so don't be so silly.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
You're asserting the presupposition that mental illness is genetic.
Show me your source for that leap of genetic research, the Nobel awaits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology