Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you feel about high school?
Loved it and would enjoy doing it again. 26 16.25%
Hated it and would fight if I had to do it again. 85 53.13%
Meh, I couldn't care either way. 47 29.38%
I didn't finish in the first place. 2 1.25%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 AM

605 posts, read 488,110 times

Advertisements

Need a 5th option about having mixed feelings (but not apathy). My overall experience leans positive, but there were obvious issues. I think I set my high school's record for hours of detention, which was something that High School Me took a lot of pride in. It was a Jesuit school, and the hourlong after-school detention sessions were called 'JUG', which was said to be an acronym standing for 'justice under God'. I never received confirmation that this was what it actually meant, heh. Anyway, during high school I always joked that after soccer season ended, JUG season began for me. And it was kind of true--during the first quarter of all four years, I might've had 2 or 3 hours of detention total, because I had incentive to stay out of trouble. After, I'd do all sorts of ridiculous things (often involving pranks or violations of the 'computer usage agreement') that'd result in my getting detention, because I valued my troublemaking reputation more than I cared about the consequences. I also liked getting under certain people's skins at this uptight prestigious-enough school. At a certain point in junior year there was talk about my potentially being expelled if I didn't 'clean up my act' as I believe I was told. Still managed to do well enough academically to be admitted to an Ivy League school (which I did not attend), but I'm sure a couple of the administrators might look back on me as some complete moron who was lucky to graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,206,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
The four years of HS were among the happiest of my life. College was a chore.

I'm amazed when hearing people describe their HS years as years of awkwardness, angst, and even bullying, while fondly recalling college days. It seems that your college years were four years of parties, or at least much socializing.

My college classrooms were all downtown. Everyone lived off campus. Yes there was a campus of sorts in the county, but it consisted of not much more than a baseball diamond, a very small arena for the basketball team, and soccer/lacrosse fields, doubling for occasional picnics.

High school was a strict, all boys parochial school but those days were a blast. College was classes in the morning, then off to work. No socializing whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I too enjoyed high school more than college for the most part, though neither were the happiest years of my life (that was my early/mid twenties). I think college is the best for those who get to do the traditional college experience i.e. move away from home, live in a dorm, don't have to work, etc. College for me was living with my parents, commuting 45 minutes one way to get to school, and working 30 hours per week at $7.25/hr on top of that. I do have some fond memories from my college years but in no way would I want to go back. In fact going back to high school seems more appealing.

You were a later version of me: Lived with parents, commute, same no. of work hrs .... one big difference was the wage rate: $1.95-$2.50 hr. , although that was pretty good bread in 1963 thru 1966, working in the meat dept. of a retail grocery store. Union shop doncha know.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:40 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,962,649 times
I'm one of those who hated high school and loved college. However, I would be willing to go back and do high school all over again if I could make a few important changes ...

Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 PM

710 posts, read 580,563 times
Hated it and couldn’t wait for it to be over. I’ve been out for a few years and never once have I ever missed it or felt a longing to go back. I was a loner, so I didn’t really have many friends. High school wasn’t a very good time for me and I’m glad that I’m done. I didn’t do great academically, but I didn’t put in much effort either. My only regrets are that I didn’t partake in any of the social events nor did I ever go to prom. It didn’t matter much to me at the time but I wish I had experienced that stuff.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:09 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,816,424 times
Hated it. Bullied at school and non supportive parents who made it all worse (unknowingly). I felt trapped and couldnt wait to earn real money, buy clothes I like, go where I want and choose the people I have around me. Worst time of my life was 10-16 years.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,929,253 times
My memories of high school can not be shared in mixed company.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,941,547 times
I TRULY hated junior high. I was new, in a new state, let alone a new school. And it seems to me that junior high is when people are the very worst versions of themselves.

High school wasn't sooo bad, but I was glad it was all over when I graduated. Ironically, I'm in touch with a few people from high school, through facebook. I attended my 5 yr. and my 10 yr reunions...after that I just wasn't interested.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM

176 posts, read 179,813 times
HATED high school! Tiny rural school that I never fit in at. Graduating class size was 28 senior students to give you an idea. I was raised on a farm but never planned on living the farm life unlike so many of my classmates. There is a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip where he brings a paper airplane to school and talks about leaving all the chumps behind.. that was my attitude all the way.

College was better, but I can't say I loved it. Lived with my parents for the first 2 years with a 15 mile commute each way and worked 32 hours/week for full-time benefits. It got a better the last 3 years (yeah.. 4-year plan didn't work out) after moving out and settling in with my fiance (now wife of 20 years). We were never bar/party people and I never experienced the "dorm life" which I kind of regret, so college was pretty much class/study/work/chill at home... not exactly exciting.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:50 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,752,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Err...there were things I liked about it and things I didn't. Would I do the entire thing again? Probably not. If I had the chance to go back and spend a week being 17 again and ONLY a week and then return to today, I probably would do that.
Ditto. I had some amazing experiences I'd love to relive, but also some horrible experiences I'm glad are behind me now... so I have no interest in repeating the whole thing, but it would be cool to revisit for a SHORT time.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,752,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
Need a 5th option about having mixed feelings (but not apathy).
Agreed... I selected "meh" because I neither loved nor hated it (little of both), and did finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology