Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times

Advertisements

I sincerely hope we do not all become highly reasoned robotic creatures like your great utopia envisions.Just because reason is the be all of your own understanding does not mean it should be everyone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:21 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I sincerely hope we do not all become highly reasoned robotic creatures like your great utopia envisions.Just because reason is the be all of your own understanding does not mean it should be everyone else's.
Reason is the ONLY means for human understanding of reality. There is no other way to do it. For anyone, ever, now, or forever. Including you.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:27 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
No it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Reason is the ONLY means for human understanding of reality. There is no other way to do it. For anyone, ever, now, or forever. Including you.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM

950 posts, read 692,241 times
In defense of Katie, I believe she is entitled to her viewpoint too. Granted that reason is logic, but there is also room for emotion. After all, sometimes it's not the reason but the emotion that prevents suicide. After all, that is the whole purpose of this thread, that is, what makes us want to keep living.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Yeah...although I am with Marc here generally, 'reason is a slave to the passions', to quote David Hume

Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 AM

13,653 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
In defense of Katie, I believe she is entitled to her viewpoint too. ...
Of course she is. But the question isn’t as to whose viewpoint is more correct; this is likely unanswerable and indeterminable. Rather, the question is, on what do we base our laws, our ethics, our values as a society? If some of us have unorthodox opinions, does that confer upon us an exemption from those laws, that flow from prevailing opinions? Probably not. But if laws are based merely on aggregate opinion, is that just? And is it reasonable to subject dissidents to such laws – or, are said dissidents expected to “shut up and color”, as a requirement of participating in the prevailing society?

This is why it’s attractive to appeal to reason. Reason, we gather, is universal. It is not contingent on the reasoner, unlike opinion, which is personal. But too often, what we deem to be “reason”, is opinion dressed-up in fancy accouterments. It’s opinion eloquently stated and vigorously defended. This is a mistake made by both the majority and the dissidents, because passions are prevailing, and affect us all. How then do we determine, when candidate “reason” is legitimate reason? Sometimes we can take a scientific approach: make a hypothesis, run experiments, assess the results and reach a conclusion. But passions and opinions and biases obtrude at every step! And not every question is amenable to scientific rigor. So we have a bit of an impasse, don’t we?

This is why it’s so jarring to hear that “suicide is always stupid”, or some other such declamatory insistence.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
ohio_peasant bringing the profundity as usual

Old 03-24-2018, 07:22 PM

950 posts, read 692,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wow ... that is seriously messed up. I cannot believe a professional would say that to you.

I am sorry that you have felt the need to attempt suicide. In my experience, motivating someone through avoidance and fear is not as effective as teaching them through the positive motivation.
Much as I appreciate your kindness, I have to disagree with you. In other words, I go along with what my therapist told me, that my suicide would result in me having to resume the same problems in my next Reincarnation. Reincarnation makes sense to me because it shows that suicide is too easy, too good to be true, if you see what I mean.
So, much as I appreciate your kindness, Birdie, I will have to disagree. My therapist is very compassionate, and I appreciate him very much.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
What you describe as "spirit" is nothing more than consciousness. And consciousness is a simple property of a healthy human life.
Prove it.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:32 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Tell that to someone who has a lifelong serious mental illness.
Try to convince this girl , with her life long mental illness, suicide would not be selfish.

https://youtu.be/shAHJryco_g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology