Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM

854 posts, read 520,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I guess if you want to be a lifelong victim, that is a choice.

There are always ways to improve one's life or to find appreciation, gratitude, or acceptance.

The answers are not always easy.

It's a philosophical issue and to me, a moral issue.
I guess if.you want to be ignorant that's your choice too then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Stupid.

Last edited by coschristi; 02-09-2018 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Oops my screens weird

Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
In my case, what makes me want to live is because my therapist believes in reincarnation, so he told me that if I die from suicide, then my next reincarnation will be simply to continue and resume the same problem I have right now. So suicide would not solve my problem at all. Instead, it would result in the resumption of the same problem.
After pondering on it, I realized it makes sense because suicide would be too easy a solution. In other words, too good to be true.

Also having reincarnation as an afterlife makes much more sense than the Christian belief of an eternal Hell. How can a God so cruelly and sadistically torture people in an excruciating furnace for all eternity? And it gets even worse when Fundamentalists insist that any Non-Christian will suffer the same torture eternally. Even if the Non-Christian has been law-abiding and charitable for his entire life, he will still suffer the same agonizing fate, according to the Evangelicals.
So that's why reincarnation makes more sense to me. At least it helps me in preventing suicide.
Wow! Okay. I met a woman who believes in this. She says our spirit does not die. I think there may be some merit to this. We are human beings when we are alive. We become a corpse when we die.

I do not subscribe to any religion. I simply love God. I accept his son Jesus Christ as our lord and savior. I was not taught this. I read it in the bible.

I have not been able to find a true religion in the bible. I think there was something said about caring for the young and old will suffice.

I have had bouts with depression and the like. I have also fell on some hard times. I learned at an early age suicide is not an option. My life is not mine to take. God will not forgive suicide. I never followed up to find these words in the bible. It works for me so I will leave it alone.

Despite all the pain and sadness, hope for a better tomorrow is what drives me. The smallest things like good weather makes me happy to be alive. Being in a good mood for absolutely no reason makes me happy to be alive. Laughing and moments of peace brings me joy.

God is merciful but he does not think sacrifice and suffering is a bad thing. The difficulty lies in having the degree of hardiness to withstand the hard times. A lot of us do not so we self medicate and eventually take our lives when there is no relief. I think that part is unfair. I do not believe the saying God does not give us more than we can handle is true. Take a look around.

I am glad you found help and I wish all the best.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:12 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Since God IS merciful why would you believe a person who commits suicide goes to hell? Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain; nobody chooses to have depression. According to the Bible there is only ONE unpardonable sin for a Christian and suicide is not it.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Sorry but I refuse to de stigmatize suicide. That’s the most dangerous, devaluing concept I’ve ever heard of.

And for clinical depression? Not even Situational; where someone has endured events & atrocities beyond the scope of comprehension but ... clinical? As in; there’s actually nothing wrong but your brain just feels like there is? That’s what Psychiatric holds are for; it’s certainly not for medication adjustment, they don’t even last long enough for that half the time.

The only reason they work (minimally) at all is because a person is forced against their will away from friends, family, pets, their employment is compromised & they get a paper gown & a toilet with no door. An induced actual crisis will activate our chronically under stimulated hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, which is something our comfy, 21st century American lives rarely gives the opportunity for.

Not to mention opportunities for medical assessment (also minimally done); early stages of Diabetes can cause depression but no ... I’m supposed to be approving of suicide & stand around singing Kumbya when somebody needs help?

What’s next; “suicide-friendly for 18 & over” so teenagers will think it’s cool & grown up? GTFO; the stigma of suicide is rightfully earned & it is a selfish, selfish act to leave behind loved ones who will never be able to forgive themselves for something you did.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 AM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
I'll ask this again:

What if the person has no loved ones to leave behind? I fail to see how that would be "selfish" by any definition.

And "god" doesn't count. Whatever your beliefs are or aren't, god and religion aren't meant to be substitutes for human companionship and support, especially for someone struggling with lifelong mental illness.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:30 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Loved ones or no loved ones, it's a violent, passive aggressive act and has impact on others who have to deal with the remains.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:57 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
What "loved ones"? I, like.many other people in this situation am alone and isolated. There is no one TO leave behind. Hence it's more selfish for me to continue and be a burden to society. Same with others. We don't want to be here and society doesn't want us here. It's just people's religious beliefs and fear of their own mortality that makes people so anti suicide. People really don't give a damn about the the suffering of anyone else beyond their circles. Not conservatives or liberals. Not theists or atheists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I'll ask this again:

What if the person has no loved ones to leave behind? I fail to see how that would be "selfish" by any definition.

And "god" doesn't count. Whatever your beliefs are or aren't, god and religion aren't meant to be substitutes for human companionship and support, especially for someone struggling with lifelong mental illness.
If that's the case, I don't see it as selfish. If you have loved ones, especially children it's a different story.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
In my case, what makes me want to live is because my therapist believes in reincarnation, so he told me that if I die from suicide, then my next reincarnation will be simply to continue and resume the same problem I have right now. So suicide would not solve my problem at all. Instead, it would result in the resumption of the same problem.
After pondering on it, I realized it makes sense because suicide would be too easy a solution. In other words, too good to be true.

Also having reincarnation as an afterlife makes much more sense than the Christian belief of an eternal Hell. How can a God so cruelly and sadistically torture people in an excruciating furnace for all eternity? And it gets even worse when Fundamentalists insist that any Non-Christian will suffer the same torture eternally. Even if the Non-Christian has been law-abiding and charitable for his entire life, he will still suffer the same agonizing fate, according to the Evangelicals.
So that's why reincarnation makes more sense to me. At least it helps me in preventing suicide.
This is all nonsense. You do not come back, you are not reincarnated, you have 1 life to live. When you die, you’re gone, you don’t go anywhere. It’s really preposterous and kind of childish in 2018 to posit otherwise. So both mystical alternatives are kind of like 2 sides of the same bad coin. So purpose in life is something you create for yourself. Life has no meaning, but your life should have meaning to you. And that meaning is self-designed and self-constructed and self-executed. If you choose to ignore the step of creating purpose for your life, then it becomes a simple waiting room for death, and whether or not you commit suicide is really not that important. Because that’s how you made it. But if you build purpose and meaning, then suicide becomes unthinkable since it would destroy the purpose that you have created. So life becomes a simple choice. Create meaning and purpose, or wait to die without it. You get one shot, one life, and one death. You are not here before your life, you will not be anywhere after your life. You make it happen while you are here. It’s a personal responsibility to your own existence, which is temporary.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is all nonsense. You do not come back, you are not reincarnated, you have 1 life to live. When you die, you’re gone, you don’t go anywhere. It’s really preposterous and kind of childish in 2018 to posit otherwise. So both mystical alternatives are kind of like 2 sides of the same bad coin. So purpose in life is something you create for yourself. Life has no meaning, but your life should have meaning to you. And that meaning is self-designed and self-constructed and self-executed. If you choose to ignore the step of creating purpose for your life, then it becomes a simple waiting room for death, and whether or not you commit suicide is really not that important. Because that’s how you made it. But if you build purpose and meaning, then suicide becomes unthinkable since it would destroy the purpose that you have created. So life becomes a simple choice. Create meaning and purpose, or wait to die without it. You get one shot, one life, and one death. You are not here before your life, you will not be anywhere after your life. You make it happen while you are here. It’s a personal responsibility to your own existence, which is temporary.
You completely fail to understand that YOU did not create your "life" (which is the spirit that inhabits your body) - your parents created your body, your spirit came from elsewhere to inhabit it. The YOU that is YOU is not self-created, thus it should not be self-extinguished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology