U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:07 AM

1,653 posts, read 551,999 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are other people besides myself who are tearful and upset about the school shootings. I don't want to initiate an argument between competing factions about what to do about it, but to express the psychological impact. I think everyone is affected by this.

I can't help but wonder what my dad would think of these school shootings. He was, by any standard, a warrior. He quit high school in Guthrie, Oklahoma to volunteer for the Army/Air Force in WWII at a time before there was actually a separate branch of the Air Force, in order to protect his country and his family. He loved his mother and he loved my mother. He loved his brothers and sisters. He was never abusive to women.

He hated Hitler and what Hitler was doing to the people in Europe. He was nearly killed many times, injured and hospitalized several times, and he never expressed fear or self-pity. He was a father figure not only to my brother and myself but was a baseball coach in Little League and father figure to a lot of boys, is remembered for that, and loved that role. He was a registered democrat, it says in his letters. But he had a gun rack in his bedroom with hunting rifles.

So what would he have said about the shootings? I know he would have been angry about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 06:39 AM

39,117 posts, read 37,766,222 times
This generation was born and raised in the post-9/11 era, in a country warring with various nations their entire lives, and they've already witnessed a dozen and a half of the deadliest shootings in America since WWII.

That must be influencing their psyches in ways we can't possibly even understand yet.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 AM

17,678 posts, read 3,576,255 times
It is hard to imagine the mindset. Just think if you were literally scared to go to work everyday...it would seem to crush your spirit.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 AM

1,653 posts, read 551,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It is hard to imagine the mindset. Just think if you were literally scared to go to work everyday...it would seem to crush your spirit.
My university allows guns and I'm thinking of getting one, taking the training. If some crazy person starts shooting up the place I'm not going to just stand there and allow my students to get killed.

It's against everything I believe in. I just wish my dad were alive to advise me. I've had a good, long life already. But my job, as an adult, is to protect children. That's the way I was brought up. But I would never recover if I had to kill someone.

Comments?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:52 AM

8,248 posts, read 10,013,904 times
It seems like daily anger and outrage are a hallmark of our society and media today. All types of gang, road, gun, etc. violence is also on the upswing in every venue. Increasingly younger children are exposed to video games where the objective is to kill as many simulated people (or avatars on real, online players) as possible.

While school shootings are horrific and tragic events perpetuated by deranged individuals; attacking the problem at the location or inanimate weapon level is like putting a band aid on a cancer sore.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:12 AM

15,747 posts, read 11,772,160 times
I have to admit, I don't care. I consciously choose to ignore what is happening because getting all angry over it won't help anyone. The only thing I could do to change it is put my vote on gun control (I do) or start a campaign (too lazy).

This country chooses to let every idiot have lots of guns, so there you have your shootings. Apparently they are not bad enough, because every time the gun topic is brought up, it gets shut down. If we still wanna have Wild West laws, blood keeps flowing. You reap what you sow aka failing to raise good kids and give them access to guns.

WHY do they want guns on universities? Where there are no guns, there are no shootings. So they want shootings?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
It is a massive stresser. Massive.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM

51,325 posts, read 50,591,986 times
I did not watch any news coverage of the shootings. That's how I deal with it. Shut down.

I will likely read about it in the future, as I did with Newtown, when it's not in bits and pieces and the story is put together cohesively for me to absorb from a distance in time.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:44 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
I don't watch news coverage of virtually anything, I tend to read all my news, and predominantly online. But one thing that I DO do, and am consciously getting away from, is make forays into the comment sections on news stories on my feeds.

NEVER a good idea, from a mental well-being standpoint. I've been resistant to just skipping comment sections entirely, until recently. But I've had a change of heart, and have decided that there's really no reason to willingly subject myself to an endless onslaught of hateful musings posed by the dregs of society if I don't have to.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:35 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,824,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
My university allows guns and I'm thinking of getting one, taking the training. If some crazy person starts shooting up the place I'm not going to just stand there and allow my students to get killed.

It's against everything I believe in. I just wish my dad were alive to advise me. I've had a good, long life already. But my job, as an adult, is to protect children. That's the way I was brought up. But I would never recover if I had to kill someone.

Comments?
I'll be careful on this one, this thread could already veer off I'm sure.

The *only* reason I'm highly proficient, and often (but not always) carry is for the reasons you indicate, pretty much: refusal to be a victim. In the most dire of circumstances (only), I'm going down swinging, baby, to protect myself and others. Heroes are cornered cowards, period.

I've been to multiple shooter's courses, taught by masters of dirty tricks: operators, and SWAT. At what is now the No. 3 rated school in the country, unbeknownst to me, at least according to the largest handgun periodical publisher, if their opinion counts in terms of sheer visibility and weight of community opinion. They do know of what they speak, and for masters of dirty tricks (e.g., surviving armed conflict in the real world has no Marquis of Queensbury "rules" or "Gun Free Zone" BS), they sure are interesting and clever guys and a few gals. Oh yes: a few instructors are tough as nails women, too, at least one ex-Mossad.

Become proficient in the tools, then put them away. Practice occasionally, as you must. Mindset matters. Damn few "want" to harm or kill others, but sometimes it's necessary in life! Work more on non-lethal, escape-and-evade when you can; that will save you most of the time too. Skip the advanced, room-clearing and speed work for the pros and police.

My $.02. I've gone my whole life never, ever, living in fear. No time to start now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or