Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Didn't he see your resume before you came into the interview? If so, he should have not asked you for an interview if he had a problem with the multiple jobs. He was wasting your time, essentially, so I would have been upset, too. There is nothing wrong with ending a job interview that isn't going in a positive direction.
I would've thought so too. The application was thorough enough to where I would've thought it would've been a no-go if that was even an issue.
As far as the job change goes, the pay and days off I currently get off are good enough to keep me staying where I'm currently at. Don't really know why I'm putting myself through torture for essentially the same type of job with even more rules to follow and questionable days off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I once went on an interview, and realized the woman conducting the interview had an issue with my college degree, as she felt this made me over qualified for the job. She said I would be stealing the job from someone who really "needed it", whatever that means. But my degree was plainly visible on my resume, and she had seen it before asking me to come in for an interview. At that point, I got up and left. However wrong that might seem to someone else, I'm an adult and I get to make that choice. It wasn't so much being angry as not wanting to waste valuable time listening to someone try to put me down. Besides, if you don't have a good rapport with someone, it's probably the wrong job for you. What amazes me is the time that job inteviewers will waste playing games with job seekers, just for kicks.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:40 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
So far, the only jobs I've managed to obtain and hold were the ones that were in desperate need of people. Security guard positions on graveyard shifts, the trucking positions in the middle of nowhere,.etc These were positions that actually offered bonuses and the interviews were usually quick and to the point.

Typical questions being things like; "Are you comfortable with the details of the position?", or "Are you willing to put in at least six months?", and my personal favorite, "You ready to start tonight?"

Of course, as I look at my responses on this thread, I'm beginning to notice that as I tend to want to advance beyond my mundane positions, the interviews are going to become increasingly more focused and directed. The easy, on-the-spot, "get out there and get things done" interviews are pretty much over if I want to move on to some other career or position.

I should've seen this sort of thing coming during my failed attempts at becoming a law enforcement officer ten years ago. The psych and background orals were pretty much similar to the interview where I got grilled. Some of you may call it anger, I just call it personal fear and being a ----y.

Apart from rejoining therapy and reading up on things, perhaps it's also time to focus on different careers that require more human interaction altogether. Driving in the middle of the night down country roads and dropping/hooking trailers at remote farms doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of brushing up on interaction skills. Time to start looking at moving up and out, as opposed to these lateral career moves that seem to get me more of the same in the way of pay, benefits, and days off.
I'm encouraged by your introspection. I hope you are, too.

You sound like you're in a much better mental space than you were at the start of this thread. You are absolutely capable of moving up and out.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I once went to an interview where they made me take a test and jump through hoops, with other interviewees too. I did it because I wanted the job. I decided if that ever happened I'd stare them down and tell them **** this ****, I'm outta here!

It never happened again. I don't take tests on interviews. Well didn't. I didn't have to take any test for my brokerage account. My money, my rules.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I'm encouraged by your introspection. I hope you are, too.

You sound like you're in a much better mental space than you were at the start of this thread. You are absolutely capable of moving up and out.
Took a little road trip down to Austin and back, which I had not done in awhile. As I drove between Goldthwaite and Lometa, I just recall seeing a sign for mental health counseling and such posted on a billboard in the country side. Just seeing that sort of concern in a rural area caused me to rethink some things.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:57 AM

I often encourage people to seek counseling with a clinical psychologist (Psy.D.). Too few people take advantage of what I like to call a "life coach." If you find a good match it's surprising how much having a sounding board and trained professional can help you understand your life and any problems you may have. The theory is that if you understand your problems you can make changes to solve the problems.

I continue to see my counselor not because I need it but because I like her a lot and we often just discuss psychology (I minored in psych, I have a continuing interest in the subject). Professional ethics rules prohibit contact outside of the clinical setting so the only way I can see her is to make appointments. If she had to come up with a DSM V for me it would probably be "0.0, doesn't need treatment." She did help me through some rough times before I reached this stage though. (I started with major depression about 5 years ago.) I'm at the end point of a successful treatment. Yeah, I know, why don't I make better posts?

Maybe the last job of a clinical psychologist is to wean her client off wanting to continue treatment when you don't need it any more. And yes I understand transference. It's not that. She's just a nice woman and she amuses me. I enjoy our visits. (Each visit reminds me of the rough times she successfully helped me through.) It's a good thing I have a BFF who also has her Ph.D. in clinical psychology. Nothing like having a backup shrink, eh?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I often encourage people to seek counseling with a clinical psychologist (Psy.D.). Too few people take advantage of what I like to call a "life coach." If you find a good match it's surprising how much having a sounding board and trained professional can help you understand your life and any problems you may have. The theory is that if you understand your problems you can make changes to solve the problems.

I continue to see my counselor not because I need it but because I like her a lot and we often just discuss psychology (I minored in psych, I have a continuing interest in the subject). Professional ethics rules prohibit contact outside of the clinical setting so the only way I can see her is to make appointments. If she had to come up with a DSM V for me it would probably be "0.0, doesn't need treatment." She did help me through some rough times before I reached this stage though. (I started with major depression about 5 years ago.) I'm at the end point of a successful treatment. Yeah, I know, why don't I make better posts?

Maybe the last job of a clinical psychologist is to wean her client off wanting to continue treatment when you don't need it any more. And yes I understand transference. It's not that. She's just a nice woman and she amuses me. I enjoy our visits. (Each visit reminds me of the rough times she successfully helped me through.) It's a good thing I have a BFF who also has her Ph.D. in clinical psychology. Nothing like having a backup shrink, eh?
Wish they were that easy to find around here. But then again, you're in a large city, and I'm in a relatively small town. As for the original issue at hand, I'm still at the same job. But feel the only reason I haven't left it yet is due to being deadlocked on where to go at this point.
I feel I already kind of burned myself out of any further job offers due to not having the fortitude to call back and give an answer. That and the prospect of having to relocate for the same type of work I'm already doing.

I don't know if it's just a comfort zone I've become attached to. Or just a rut in life I see real no way out of.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 PM

Bentstrider, I am glad you replied. Looking at your location I can fully understand your dearth of practitioners. If I correctly understand your location you are way east NM right next to the TX line. I lived in NM for a short time (Santa Fe) and if I have your location right, just wow.

I think if you feel you are stuck socially and employment wise in a small city, maybe you should consider a change.

I know comfort zones, and I've always discovered that when I am in my comfort zone it's like a frog put in a pot of cold water over a small flame. Heat it up slowly enough and you'll boil the frog. They only jump if the heat comes up quickly.

Consider relocation. IMO you are stagnating in a too-small locale.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Bentstrider, I am glad you replied. Looking at your location I can fully understand your dearth of practitioners. If I correctly understand your location you are way east NM right next to the TX line. I lived in NM for a short time (Santa Fe) and if I have your location right, just wow.

I think if you feel you are stuck socially and employment wise in a small city, maybe you should consider a change.

I know comfort zones, and I've always discovered that when I am in my comfort zone it's like a frog put in a pot of cold water over a small flame. Heat it up slowly enough and you'll boil the frog. They only jump if the heat comes up quickly.

Consider relocation. IMO you are stagnating in a too-small locale.
Not really sure about relocating for the same job I'm doing here. Unfortunately, driving trucks is about the only skill I have at the moment. No college degree to utilize and if you've read my posts in other forums, I'm not too keen on having multi-story apartment buildings to look forward to.

Only other entry level jobs I've put in for are with the Class-1 railroads. Those seem to be the only other, non trucking job I could go for that wouldn't involve a drastic drop in pay with the bills I'm still owing. Of course, the application process for that sort of work is rather slow and the selection process rivals that of the fruitless, law enforcement track I attempted about ten years ago.(too old and too uninterested in pursuing that route again).

I'm originally from Southern CA and with the costs of living out there, I don't really fathom going back there. If anything, I'm more or less willing to stick to mid-sized cities like ABQ or something similar and still within the mountain/desert zone. Plenty of assistance to be found in those areas as far as practitioners go.

Ultimately, I'll just have to stick it out with my current job set and resume schooling in a part time capacity if I aim to move forward. To what exactly? I do not know.
I'm 35 and my dreams change like underpants.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:41 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I understand your frustration, but it does seem very extreme.

In the future, be prepared with your story re: why you had so many jobs during "x" time.

If you are being perfectly honest with someone and they "aren't following you," that says that they are either not paying attention, are mentally deficient, or you are not communicating clearly.

If you are lying to the person and they "aren't following you," you are getting triggered because you're being called on your lie (and the triggering might have to do with the trauma associated with the time frame they are inquiring about).

It is totally your problem, though.

You can do "tapping" (EFT) on that specific phrase, and get some relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology