Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 4,690 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 and I've never had a girlfriend. I come from a dysfunctional family, have had major anxiety issues since I was a child and started having suicidal thoughts when I was 16. After hitting rock bottom when I was 22, I'm currently under medical surveillance even though I'm not taking meds at the moment (I don't when I am stable).

Needless to say, having a girlfriend has always been the last thing on my list. I don't think I would have ever had the mental availability that it requires. My mental health will always be precarious for the rest of my life and so any romantic relationships, although not forbidden, are not recommended.

From the outside, I'm a completely average Joe. Regular looks, go the gym, have a few hobbies, go out with my friends, etc. No one would ever suspect of anything.

I was having a conversation with my best friend the other day over a drink. He's the only one who knows what I've been through. We usually start talking about life after a few drinks haha. He asked if I don't ever feel sorry for never being able to have a relationship for the rest of my life.

I told him I have fully accepted my situation. It's completely devoid of emotion, it's a logical and practical decision.

Truth be told, it's a rather easy one for me since I don't exactly have a line up of women interested in me. I don't think I've ever noticed one looking at me.

Why is the power of acceptance looked upon as "bad" or negative by society when sometimes it's the best for everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 12:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphoDgenx View Post

Why is the power of acceptance looked upon as "bad" or negative by society when sometimes it's the best for everyone?
Do you mean self-acceptance?

I personally believe it's looked upon negatively by some people because those people don't have the ability to achieve that state themselves.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:

It sounds like your friend just wants to make sure that you're living your best life, so to speak, rather than outright judging or pressuring you. All you have to say is, "I appreciate your concern, but I'm happy with my life the way it is."

Old 03-01-2018, 12:32 PM

651 posts, read 407,516 times
Quote:
I'm 26 and I've never had a girlfriend. I come from a dysfunctional family, have had major anxiety issues since I was a child and started having suicidal thoughts when I was 16. After hitting rock bottom when I was 22, I'm currently under medical surveillance even though I'm not taking meds at the moment (I don't when I am stable).

Needless to say, having a girlfriend has always been the last thing on my list. I don't think I would have ever had the mental availability that it requires. My mental health will always be precarious for the rest of my life and so any romantic relationships, although not forbidden, are not recommended.

From the outside, I'm a completely average Joe. Regular looks, go the gym, have a few hobbies, go out with my friends, etc. No one would ever suspect of anything.

I was having a conversation with my best friend the other day over a drink. He's the only one who knows what I've been through. We usually start talking about life after a few drinks haha. He asked if I don't ever feel sorry for never being able to have a relationship for the rest of my life.

I told him I have fully accepted my situation. It's completely devoid of emotion, it's a logical and practical decision.

Truth be told, it's a rather easy one for me since I don't exactly have a line up of women interested in me. I don't think I've ever noticed one looking at me.

I have been pondering the same question for some time as well. I have been out of relationship for about a year and a half now and while I have been on many dates I havent found anyone that I could click with so at one point I just said to myself "**** it. I am just gonna kick back and do whatever I feel like". Yes, its harder financially living alone, sex life non-existent (Im too paranoid for hookups and one night stands) and overall I do feel sad sometimes because no one really cares about me that way. But other than that, things are pretty ok.

When I told my close friend about my shift of paradigm his take was that I took a stance of a defeated person. It is of course all a matter of perception and could be argued either way, but I dont care. I do me and it's my business how I do it.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:35 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times
Your friend is just curious about your mental awareness and direction.

As long as he wasn’t pushing an agenda or relating to you about it in a negative way I wouldn’t stress over it. It simply shows he has some form of personal investment towards you.

As far as why would someone care about what other do?
Everyone believes their way is the right way. It’s easier to deal in absolutes than it is to smear everything in greys

Old 03-01-2018, 12:39 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
If you’re ok with not having romantic relationships, then I don’t see the problem. If you were horrible at tennis or just had no interest in tennis, I don’t think people would keep encouraging you to play tennis. Why should romantic relationships be any different?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:40 PM

224 posts, read 297,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It sounds like your friend just wants to make sure that you're living your best life, so to speak, rather than outright judging or pressuring you. All you have to say is, "I appreciate your concern, but I'm happy with my life the way it is."
THIS^

People are meddlers so don't concern yourself with that. You did write about this so something is on your mind. Deep down, do you really not want a girlfriend or do you think that due to who you are it would not be fair to that person?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:42 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
^^^ I second this.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
THIS^

People are meddlers so don't concern yourself with that. You did write about this so something is on your mind. Deep down, do you really not want a girlfriend or do you think that due to who you are it would not be fair to that person?
See, there's the difference. I don't see this situation in terms of what I want. My wants and needs are irrelevant here.

What matters is what is right and causes the less trouble and pain to everyone involved (including myself of course).

Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Oh yes I know that he wasn't saying that to annoy me. I just used it as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology