Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 12:26 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

Having children ourselves - now over 21 - has helped me to relate to their generation and those younger.

I personally love the spirit of those trying to learn and work on something. I am listening to my own children about what their generation feels about the recent shooting in our South Florida area.

I admire the young people in the high schools speaking out and I am listening.

Regardless of age, don't we want to be heard or listened to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 12:29 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
To my fitness instructor 63 is ancient. She graduated high school about the time I started my second career.

🙁
Lol. To a 30-something 60+ is ancient. It is what it is...it happens in every generation.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:38 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
It starts with music don't you think? I can't stand the music that the teens listen to today. However, I have to chuckle as my parents were the same way with the music I listened to. I think it's exactly the point of that annoying music to claim something as your own for your generation. And life goes on.....

Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
It starts with music don't you think? I can't stand the music that the teens listen to today. However, I have to chuckle as my parents were the same way with the music I listened to. I think it's exactly the point of that annoying music to claim something as your own for your generation. And life goes on.....
Yet teens today listen the Beatles, rolling Stones, etc.

I remember when my sister brought home a Bob Dylan album. My parents, at that time 53 and 57 liked it.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yet teens today listen the Beatles, rolling Stones, etc.

I remember when my sister brought home a Bob Dylan album. My parents, at that time 53 and 57 liked it.
These two posts go rather well together.

I'm a senior citizen and sure I like the music of the '50s, '60s etc., but I also like Fergie, Pink, Kesha and other contemporary musicians and bands.

What annoys me are people who are totally oblivious to all music. It makes me wonder what is wrong with them.

For the record I cannot listen to rap. Well, and polka. Those are pretty much about the only music I don't like.

One of my favorite treats is when I forget about them, and then suddenly I remember Celtic Woman, so I spend a few hours listening to them.

The whole title of this topic bears a misleading premise: "At what point do older people stop relating to younger people?"

The answer is that some older people stop relating to anything, often to people in general not just younger people. Some older people don't relate to young music, some don't relate to music at all.

And here is another thing for you young 'uns to ponder: maybe it's just you they don't like. Maybe you have a bad attitude and older people just don't want to put up with you, where they get along with other younger people just fine.

Having read this topic a piece at a time all I can say is that it is all over the map, and in the end you can't draw any conclusion at all about what older people think about younger people and vice versa. It's just people.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
^Repped you.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
When my kids started calling me old, I couldn't do a thing but agree with them. I would say the turning point of my not being able to identify with their kind was right around the time they were born, making me about 30. I realized soon after that they have a naive view of the world and I grew up the same way. It makes you think that you really should have listened to your parents all those years. They may be old, but they've been through it to know. At least for many important issues such as etiquette, manners, finance and family.

Right now, I'm just battling with my kids on why video games is not the end-all, be-all of life. Comical, and sad at the same time.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
The attitude OP describes is exactly what's killing ham radio as a hobby.

Quote:
For the record I cannot listen to rap.

You can't spell CRAP without RAP.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We probably stop relating to younger people when our children go off to college and get married. Then we are into grandchildren and their interests if they live near but only on an individual basis. The ball games between schools, what is happening at the malls, etc. stops being an interest of ours.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
When my kids started calling me old, I couldn't do a thing but agree with them. I would say the turning point of my not being able to identify with their kind was right around the time they were born, making me about 30. I realized soon after that they have a naive view of the world and I grew up the same way. It makes you think that you really should have listened to your parents all those years. They may be old, but they've been through it to know. At least for many important issues such as etiquette, manners, finance and family.

Right now, I'm just battling with my kids on why video games is not the end-all, be-all of life. Comical, and sad at the same time.
Your post makes a lot of sense concerning the brain since the brain is not fully developed on most people until 26 years old. I find that funny for me though. When I was 26 I already had the only two children we have. Makes me realize I was a child having babies. I thought I was a grownup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology