Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:13 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,716,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think the older one gets the less they care about what others think and do what makes them happy!
That’s so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 09:32 PM

818 posts, read 455,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Humans are social creatures. It is easier for most to follow the groups/trends to fit in with other humans. Too many people judge those who are different. People need to be stronger than most to be different and also be OK with that.
Yeah it is true, very, being different has it's own price and takes it's own kinda guts and shyt too believe me.

But it was nice of you to point those other things out, l do see what you mean and it is true and there's nothing wrong with that , you've inspired me to be more understanding in the future.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,522,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's hard for introverts to just be themselves, because society doesn't accept introversion.
Most northern European countries are more introverted than the US. Regions of the US that have a substantial amount of northern European ancestry tend to be more introverted than extroverted as well.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,163,405 times
It's actually scarier and more pervasive than one might realize.

Do some reading up on a phenomenon called "Groupthink", when friendly and harmonious relationships within a community become more important than rational decisions.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post

Do some reading up on a phenomenon called "Groupthink", when friendly and harmonious relationships within a community become more important than rational decisions.
Does explain a lot as to why people gotta follow whatever their communities do.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,522,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post

It is a definite problem, and one of the big reasons I don't like the Midwest/Plains region of the US. WAY TOO MUCH in the way of Groupthink and herd mentality of the populace overall. It results in a very unfavorable social culture for those that don't conform as often or at all.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:07 PM

11,042 posts, read 7,124,141 times
Doesn't seem hard at all. Maybe others have that problem, but it's not universal. Weird to me that people would struggle with this. Don't worry about anyone or anything.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:14 PM

Let’s take the car enthusiast community as an example: In this case, people feel the need jump on the bandwagon for liking certain cars, tuning their cars just like a Honda EG6, pretend to like certain racing games and there are times that losing a race could disqualify from being part of the community because you’re basically a loser and don’t know performance driving.

Or take party politics, the pressure to conform to various values and social movements

Are these good examples in your book?

Old 03-03-2018, 10:22 PM

Add to my first example
https://youtu.be/J2-vdK-rfMU

Old 03-04-2018, 03:18 AM

679 posts, read 811,393 times
Back to the op's question, its due to societal programing, social engineering, and simply how one was raised.

It took me until my mid to late twenties to say to hell with what society says and chart my own course. This is why I never completed my degree, I recognized that I was being programmed even more at three different universities I attended.

Don't be afraid, it your life, not society's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology