Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:47 PM

856 posts, read 704,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
THANK YOU; I was just about to say this!! I've had OCD since forever, I guess, and people really don't understand it... they get it confused with neat-freakness, and one of my big pet peeves is when they go "I'm sooo OCD (about being clean/organized)." No, you're just neat.

I'm actually a terrible housekeeper, and my home is usually kind of a mess. I don't care about germs that much, either, and even let my cats walk/sit on the same table (coffee table) where I usually eat. So yeah, it's definitely more about anxiety, worry, and repetitive thoughts. And to the OP, I don't know what to say, since I know from personal experience that it's sometimes impossible to erase those thoughts. Just know that they'll lessen each day, and think "it's not going to change anything to keep worrying" and "what's the worst that could happen?" Sometimes that helps me when I get stuck on a thought!
Thank you very much. Unfortunately, this has consumed my life since the retired police chief said he'd find out who the alias is. I just can't stop thinking about it and asking "what if _____" guess I'll have to try harder.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
So I did something foolish. I created a Facebook alias. Under this alias, I expressed negative opinions about certain public figures (former school board member who's still involved and a Councilman) in my community. Nothing I said can be considered hate speech, it was really just criticisms. I backed up everything factual I said with evidence from the local press and generally made it clear when I was expressing an opinion, I never presented my opinion as fact.

The other day, a retired police chief in my town posted that he's going to expose my alias because it's a fake account. I never said anything about this chief. I actually deleted this alias prior to the chief's post, so all my comments and posts are now history.

Here is where my OCD comes in: For the past three days, I have had difficulty concentrating because I am scared. I deeply regret creating an alias, but am I really in trouble? Also, does anyone have tips about combating OCD? I'm on medication and see a therapist occasionally but this is getting in the way of my everyday life.

Thank you!
Forget the external stuff, it will play out.
Look for the solution to your condition.
Its out there.
https://youtu.be/oBsI_ay8K70

Old 03-06-2018, 04:11 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Thank you. I was first diagnosed with OCD when I was 12. Most of the time it's mild, but there are times when a stressful event makes it worse. Generally, I would say it gets worse for maybe two days tops, but I am generally able to function. However, there have been times when I have difficulty functioning. This is the first time I am having difficulty functioning in two years; I was in a depression for about two months two years ago and it was awful.

I would add that this did happen to me when I was in high school and did something foolish that wasn't against the law (I have never broken any laws except for a speeding ticket once and I illegally downloaded music 8 years ago) but still an immature thing, much like my situation now.

My issue is for the past 4 days, this is all I can think about basically. I keep waking up at 6 a.m. and worrying about this. I keep having this "voice" telling me to look at old Facebook posts and I looked through several of my old comments under the alias before I deleted it and keep asking myself "what if _________?"

I did a good job hiding behind my alias, the issue is can someone hack me or something?

I appreciate the advice.
I doubt anyone will.

I see you are in NJ. So am I. Anyone gives you trouble, tell 'em you know a six-foot-tall old lady named the Mighty Queen, and they should be very afraid.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU; I was just about to say this!! I've had OCD since forever, I guess, and people really don't understand it... they get it confused with neat-freakness, and one of my big pet peeves is when they go "I'm sooo OCD (about being clean/organized)." No, you're just neat.

I'm actually a terrible housekeeper, and my home is usually kind of a mess. I don't care about germs that much, either, and even let my cats walk/sit on the same table (coffee table) where I usually eat. So yeah, it's definitely more about anxiety, worry, and repetitive thoughts. And to the OP, I don't know what to say, since I know from personal experience that it's sometimes impossible to erase those thoughts. Just know that they'll lessen each day, and think "it's not going to change anything to keep worrying" and "what's the worst that could happen?" Sometimes that helps me when I get stuck on a thought!
Lmao, I have cats and eat at the coffee table, too.

You know as soon as someone says "I AM OCD" that they are clueless about what it actually is.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:

During my worst times, which roughly equate to when I was married, I would hit a pothole or a bump in the road and think "What if I just ran somebody over?" Then I would turn around and go back to see if anyone was lying in the road, then I thought maybe they were able to crawl away, and I kept checking my car for blood and for the next few days I looked in the paper to see if there were any hit and runs on the road I was driving on. The thought just possessed me.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
During my worst times, which roughly equate to when I was married, I would hit a pothole or a bump in the road and think "What if I just ran somebody over?" Then I would turn around and go back to see if anyone was lying in the road, then I thought maybe they were able to crawl away, and I kept checking my car for blood and for the next few days I looked in the paper to see if there were any hit and runs on the road I was driving on. The thought just possessed me.
I can’t tell you how many times this has happened to me! I would hit a bump on the street and drive back to make sure that I didn’t hit a person or animal. I would check my car for damages for probably 10-15 minutes before driving away, only to go back to the scene just to make sure. If anyone saw me doing this, they would think I was absolutely crazy! OCD definitely puts thoughts in your mind that are hard to control.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:58 PM

383 posts, read 429,626 times
Calm down, poor soul. I read your post twice to make sure I didn't miss anything.

You committed the awful [NOT] act of Free Speech. You committed no crime. Anything that can be proven with facts can't be libel. Your OCD comes from this: some apparently very deep need to be heard on issues important to you and possibly your community made you temporarily forget to be afraid. Your courage gave you the strength to do what BILLIONS of other people around the world (and thousands on City Data!) do every day. But then, after expending the courage, fear took over and is enslaving you.

As "dijkstra" said, the cost of pursuing this would not be in a municipal police department's interest. This retired police chief is--retired. That means he is in no position more powerful than you are. Even if he had Superman and Batman as former subordinates, they would still have to spend considerable time and not inconsiderable resources finding your identity.

Say they did find your identity. So what? You didn't post hate speech. You based your posts on facts.

Just keep repeating to yourself that you were afraid of yourself for being courageous. Now, isn't that a foolish thing to be afraid of? Courage?

Be at peace. You'll be fine. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. And don't be afraid of courage. It's what keeps your mind, heart, and soul healthy. If your mind, heart, and soul are healthy, your body will be healthy, or healthier, too.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Must be some connection there, lol. Hmmm, are you a single woman too? That kinda explains the cats, and why I rarely eat at my actual dinner table.

Quote:
You know as soon as someone says "I AM OCD" that they are clueless about what it actually is.
Yup, always a dead giveaway! One of my colleagues says that all the time, and finally I sort of called her out on it... I said "Oh, do you actually have OCD? I do, and it's really challenging at times." She was like "ummm, well, I am very neat and organized." To which I replied "I'm not very neat at all, in case you haven't noticed (by my desk)!" She seemed to shut up about it after that.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^ The police don't want to have to do anything about it. You've erased your posts and stopped. That's probably the end of it.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:22 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:

I am that one? exception. I started counting things when I was quite young. It took many, many years for me to realise that I was abnormally normal. I have, I am, OCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology