U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 AM

25,846 posts, read 23,775,650 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is, for goodness sakes present yourself like an adult and don't attack the poster, if you don't like the poster, or what the poster has to say, fine...then ignore them and their thread, but to go in and gang up on the poster, is incredibly immature and shows the true person you are.....a bully...because someone doesn't feel the same way you do....and disagrees....the one thing that annoys me, and is so unfair, is I don't like Hillary, never did....and when I post something about her, they all start coming into the thread as if I've threatened their very existence, call you a troll, and attack you verbally, and then when you report them to a mod, the mod comes in and deletes all your comments.....b/c the mod loves Hillary....that is so unfair and wrong....so, what did she do, close the thread....?????? Instead of deleting their comments...or letting them know calling someone a troll is against CD rules?

And I'm telling you they do get nasty...

Old 01-13-2019, 08:53 AM

4,619 posts, read 1,960,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The bottom line is, for goodness sakes present yourself like an adult and don't attack the poster, if you don't like the poster, or what the poster has to say, fine...then ignore them and their thread, but to go in and gang up on the poster, is incredibly immature and shows the true person you are.....a bully...because someone doesn't feel the same way you do....and disagrees....the one thing that annoys me, and is so unfair, is I don't like Hillary, never did....and when I post something about her, they all start coming into the thread as if I've threatened their very existence, call you a troll, and attack you verbally, and then when you report them to a mod, the mod comes in and deletes all your comments.....b/c the mod loves Hillary....that is so unfair and wrong....so, what did she do, close the thread....?????? Instead of deleting their comments...or letting them know calling someone a troll is against CD rules?

And I'm telling you they do get nasty...
Well....the politics forum is another universe entirely!!!!!! It's a ginormous black hole of crap. Lol. Even I, who has skin 3 ft thick, hardly goes there. If you are a sensitive person, I highly recommend avoiding it. It's a complete wasteland. They flop back & forth on alliances. Recently, the needle moved again to Democrat.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Well....the politics forum is another universe entirely!!!!!! It's a ginormous black hole of crap. Lol. Even I, who has skin 3 ft thick, hardly goes there. If you are a sensitive person, I highly recommend avoiding it. It's a complete wasteland. They flop back & forth on alliances. Recently, the needle moved again to Democrat.
I am not a sensitive person, believe me....and it shouldn't matter what forum or thread your in, no one deserves to be talked to like some of these woman and men in here talk to others....but yes, do know what your saying....

I do feel badly for people who wish to add something to a conversation and someone jumps all over them and they are new members....

Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM

4,619 posts, read 1,960,093 times
Quote:
I am not a sensitive person, believe me....and it shouldn't matter what forum or thread your in, no one deserves to be talked to like some of these woman and men in here talk to others....but yes, do know what your saying....

I do feel badly for people who wish to add something to a conversation and someone jumps all over them and they are new members....
Oh, truly, I wasn't implying that you were, CB.

But ya...I agree. Most will be eaten alive in there unless you agree with the majority.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 PM

20,818 posts, read 6,961,546 times
And then there are the posters who will do all they can to make their points the "right" ones...I'm watching a thread right now and unbelievable how some are so obsessed with their "rightness"... I've made my comment on this particular thread and let it go and some just go on and on, sometimes I think the poster must think "why did I even post"....

Old 01-13-2019, 01:29 PM

5,229 posts, read 9,580,330 times
Yin Yang. Black. White. "Some humans ain't human; some humans ain't kind"-- lyrics from a John Prine song.

It's just the human race. Some folks just gotta be mean and don't know how to discuss--but are good at dismiss-ing others. Makes them feel powerful, maybe?

I just figure that's their problem--not mine. My parents always said, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Since this is a discussion forum, my hope is that we will discuss and voice our advice and opinions with kindness and in the spirit of help and not hurt...

But there will always be mean people...forgive them....

Old 01-15-2019, 08:14 PM

628 posts, read 346,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
There are probably as many reasons as there are people that do it, but you have to wonder if for some it is because they have little or no power in their daily life, and an "anonymous" Internet forum is the one place they can have power over someone else, by attacking them in some way.
Good point. It brings to mind the Lynn Galindo quote:

"Chained dogs are three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs.
There's a lesson in there somewhere, don't you think?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I have been harassed for resurrecting an old thread. Rather than start another thread I search existing threads to continue the conversation.
If someone objects to you contributing to an old thread,
just remind them of CD's stance on that, which appears
at the bottom of the old thread's page:

Just because a topic's thread is old, doesn't mean the topic
itself is old.

-

Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 AM

1,058 posts, read 413,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Good point. It brings to mind the Lynn Galindo quote:

"Chained dogs are three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs.
There's a lesson in there somewhere, don't you think?"

If someone objects to you contributing to an old thread,
just remind them of CD's stance on that, which appears
at the bottom of the old thread's page:

Just because a topic's thread is old, doesn't mean the topic
itself is old.

-

Thanks for your support.

I believe there are a lot of people doing research on a particular issue that pertain to them that aren't posters and I would like to think my remarks helped them in some way. I read a lot before I joined. I see some posters start a thread on one issue and then leave, I assume they got their answers.

I saw some comments about me and stopped reporting them. I think there attacks on me are a bad reflection on them.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Thanks for your support.

I believe there are a lot of people doing research on a particular issue that pertain to them that aren't posters and I would like to think my remarks helped them in some way. I read a lot before I joined. I see some posters start a thread on one issue and then leave, I assume they got their answers.

I saw some comments about me and stopped reporting them. I think there attacks on me are a bad reflection on them.
There are many reasons for people posting on forums...I've seen a few over the years, where college students were writing papers on a certain subject, and wanted to gather information of perspectives on a certain issue....

Old 01-24-2019, 08:20 PM

20,818 posts, read 6,961,546 times
Quote:
There are many reasons for people posting on forums...I've seen a few over the years, where college students were writing papers on a certain subject, and wanted to gather information of perspectives on a certain issue....
And crotochity older folks who like to be "right" and bring little folks down. Just saw it again today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or