Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 06:53 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I don't consider myself nice.
Fine, change nice to right. The point is about skewed perspective.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:16 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Fine, change nice to right. The point is about skewed perspective.
Nor do I consider myself right.

And I have no issue admitting that my perspective is (most likely) skewed. All I can go by is my experiences and what I know which is very limited. I'm still learning.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I consider myself to have opinions, my opinions. Am I nice, I'm not bad nor mean. I'm human and do care about others, maybe too much but that's me. My opinions get attacked, so the writer feels an attack on the person.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:43 AM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
I've seen a couple of posts in this thread that would be
perfect examples of the snarky fare that this thread is
about, and how no one seemed to notice them, most
likely because those posters have long ago been put on
Ignore by a majority of people. The only reason I'm still
seeing them is that I haven't updated my Ignore-list in,
like, forever (it may, in fact, be empty; I haven't checked
it in awhile).

Anyway, it had me wondering at what point it becomes
useless to even post in a forum anymore, if most of one's
target audience has placed them on Ignore and therefore
can't see their posts anyway. It would be like shouting
into a black hole. Now *that's* time well spent!

-

Old 03-29-2018, 10:18 AM

I've been tempted to put people on Ignore, but I can ignore them when I see their username, as I know before hand what they will be saying. Often I'll read a little of what they say and get a chuckle and go on....it's all so nuts when you really think about...some try to help others, and some try to save others from those trying to help. grrrrrrrrrr...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:16 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Most of the people I deem rude and look for a fight are already on ignore..

I have no time nor patience for people who have a chip on their shoulder. Go argue with your significant other if you want a fight.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Apparently, I have to reword my post.

The OP asked why posters here seem to enjoy attacking people. I said because it is allowed to happen. It's a direct and truthful answer to the question. There is joy to getting away with it. People are emboldened when there is no consequence to their bad behavior. There is no deterrent when there is no consequence. And attacks are a way of life here. That is a reflection of the management as much as the members. I'm pretty sure there were many posts like the OP's before this. Yet, here we are.

Now, before you decide to delete this, I'm not violating any rules. I'm not attacking any person. I am criticizing skills and objectivity. And I'm not addressing mod actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts). I am referring to the inaction and deficiencies that contribute to the climate here, in response to the OP. There is nothing in the TOS that forbids this. It would be better if you simply make the necessary adjustments in order to minimize the abuse on City Data. The OP has clearly dealt with and seen quite enough.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:29 PM

I really struggled in my early months here, I was attacked so much for my info and then I've learned and learned and learned and I say my comments and then often leave it at:

We'll just have to agree to disagree and drop it there.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Apparently, I have to reword my post.

The OP asked why posters here seem to enjoy attacking people. I said because it is allowed to happen. It's a direct and truthful answer to the question. There is joy to getting away with it. People are emboldened when there is no consequence to their bad behavior. There is no deterrent when there is no consequence. And attacks are a way of life here. That is a reflection of the management as much as the members. I'm pretty sure there were many posts like the OP's before this. Yet, here we are.

Now, before you decide to delete this, I'm not violating any rules. I'm not attacking any person. I am criticizing skills and objectivity. And I'm not addressing mod actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts). I am referring to the inaction and deficiencies that contribute to the climate here, in response to the OP. There is nothing in the TOS that forbids this. It would be better if you simply make the necessary adjustments in order to minimize the abuse on City Data. The OP has clearly dealt with and seen quite enough.
But the rules state 'no personal attacks'. Is that not what you are talking about?

You're saying that rule of 'no personal attacks' is not enforced. yes? (it is very randomly serendipitously unevenly enforced)

Old 03-31-2018, 11:29 AM

There are personal attacks and then there are the attacks on what a person talks about, their opinions...

One member, from day 1, has called my info/opinions...nonsense. Now is that personal attack or just plain rude. No matter what I thought about another's comments, I would never call their info nonsense.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-31-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology