Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 AM

3,136 posts, read 1,591,140 times

Advertisements

Interesting I didn't understand this award system and now this makes sense. So the financial award system is influencing all this clutter I've seen and a backlash toward those "undeserving" award winners.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:38 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,239,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Interesting I didn't understand this award system and now this makes sense. So the financial award system is influencing all this clutter I've seen and a backlash toward those "undeserving" award winners.
VERY FEW people win those, most don't even notice it and about 99% don't care about them so it has virtually no influence.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:05 AM

16,062 posts, read 21,106,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Ok. So I hope you don’t find this argumentative and mean, but what does “cup to bear” mean?
I haven’t heard that.
'not my burden/not my worry'
I don't know the origin, but best guess is that is is from a period of history when servants were responsible for keeping up with their masters valuable cups and serving them.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:16 AM

48,508 posts, read 34,775,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
'not my burden/not my worry'
I don't know the origin, but best guess is that is is from a period of history when servants were responsible for keeping up with their masters valuable cups and serving them.
I tried to Google it, and nothing shows up. I've heard of "not my cross to bear" and "not my cup of tea."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-21-2018, 08:25 AM

16,062 posts, read 21,106,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I tried to Google it, and nothing shows up. I've heard of "not my cross to bear" and "not my cup of tea."
I couldn't find it either, but I have heard it before. Perhaps it's regional, or an older obscure term that I've read somewhere. But it makes sense as cup bearers often had to test the noble's drink for poison by taking a sip before serving, I'd definitely consider that a worry and a burden.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:42 AM

48,508 posts, read 34,775,253 times
Quote:
I couldn't find it either, but I have heard it before. Perhaps it's regional, or an older obscure term that I've read somewhere. But it makes sense as cup bearers often had to test the noble's drink for poison by taking a sip before serving, I'd definitely consider that a worry and a burden.
Google knows all.

If they don't have it - doesn't exist.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-21-2018, 12:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,713,576 times
What I think would be good between adults is to DM a person that they have a problem with, and not to continually bring them down in public. I've done this with a couple members and if we can talk as adults and get things off our minds, that would be good. I would appreciate hearing from members as to WHY they have such a dislike for me. And again not humiliating the person in public.

I often do not hear back as they don't want to discuss their dislike about me. So at least I'm open to chat. We're all big kids. They just have this way about them to aire in public.

The thing is too, do we develop a friendship outside the forum? Usually not, I developed two nice friendships on the very first health forum I was on in 2005 or so and one friend we've met and get together now and then and the other is back East and we email and stay in touch.

So many just decide they don't like a person due to their postings and that's it. Pretty small thinking.

We all have more in common than many want to believe, all part of the human race.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-21-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 02:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,117,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
What I object to are the groups of self-appointed cheerleaders out to prop up certain of city-data’s repetitive troubled posters. Some of these regulars almost fall over patting themselves on the back about how they are “helping” these people by offering endless empty support and encouragement in poor decision making.

I was recently called a “crone” by one of these “nice people” for offering practical advice that could have actually helped the poster to a better future. I didn’t sugar coat it, but I didn’t insult anybody either. Sometimes it’s the “nice” people you have to watch out for.
You should report that behavior, IMO. there is no reason for name calling on this forum, which is moderated.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,117,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What I think would be good between adults is to DM a person that they have a problem with, and not to continually bring them down in public. I've done this with a couple members and if we can talk as adults and get things off our minds, that would be good. I would appreciate hearing from members as to WHY they have such a dislike for me. And again not humiliating the person in public.

I often do not hear back as they don't want to discuss their dislike about me. So at least I'm open to chat. We're all big kids. They just have this way about them to aire in public.

The thing is too, do we develop a friendship outside the forum? Usually not, I developed two nice friendships on the very first health forum I was on in 2005 or so and one friend we've met and get together now and then and the other is back East and we email and stay in touch.

So many just decide they don't like a person due to their postings and that's it. Pretty small thinking.

We all have more in common than many want to believe, all part of the human race.
Good advice. I agree with all of this.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:40 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,857,658 times
Quote:
But it makes sense as cup bearers often had to test the noble's drink for poison by taking a sip before serving, I'd definitely consider that a worry and a burden.
That’s quite a stretch...but ok. I only asked bc I tried to find it first, and ...no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And herein lies the problem some have.
People post words in response to the words posted. It is not an “attack on a person”. Why take it personally? I do not know these people, they have proven they do not know me. They don’t like my words sometimes, oh well?

Those of you posting about “gangs of women, young and old swooping down on you”...
“Standing up and fighting for the under dog!”...

Could you please read the TOS now? Respond to the OP and their question when you respond in a thread, or you’re the problem as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology