Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:20 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times

Advertisements

I can't stand direct sunlight, most of the US is much too far south in latitude. Then again, the US is a southerly oriented nation compared to most of Europe and Canada. So, yes, I prefer the exact opposite of most Americans in terms of climate. The more snow and the more clouds (preferably with a snow covered ground) the better. I like the UP of Michigan quite a bit as well as it reminds me a good bit of Scandinavia in terms of landscape. I have some Finnish ancestry, and some Finns migrated to the western UP of Michigan and northern Wisconsin in the late 19th century and early 20th century. I feel right at home in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Everything in moderation. It's why I like to live in regions with distinctly different seasons, weather-wise.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,980,973 times
I hate the winter when the sun is low and shines in my den all day. In the summer the sun is high and I have only a few hours of harsh sunlight.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 PM

105 posts, read 85,215 times
July and August are typically miserable months for me because of the prolonged sunny days. I can mostly tolerate the heat but the seemingly endless sun causes my anxiety to sky rocket.

Kind of strange because I used to thrive in the summer and wilt in the winter. Now it's the opposite. I still love spring and fall and hope that never changes.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,980,973 times
I just turn on the air conditioning in the summer when it gets too warm.

I work out at LA Fitness. It's the same temperature there year round.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 PM

158 posts, read 142,607 times
Yes and no for me. I do love rainy days because they are so warm and relaxing. Perfect weather to curl up on the couch and read a good book or do a favorite tv show binge all day. I find it very relaxing. However after a few days of rain I will say I start to miss the sun. The weather does have a tendency to affect my mood.

On the other hand I despise hot weather! Absolutely hate it. I’ve decided that temps in the 60s are perfect for me. When it’s over 70 I start to feel uncomfortable. I’m stuck here in Florida at the moment and the summers are pure torture for me. I always get depressed every summer from the relentless heat. I feel drained of energy and I never want to go outside. Like someone else said it’s reverse SAD.

I would probably do great in a place like San Francisco, however it’s way too damn expensive there so that ain’t gonna happen. My partner and I are making plans to move back to New England and I am really looking forward to having seasons again. I think I just need variety. I get bored easily and the non stop sunny hot days here are just the worst for me. Of course everyone else here in Florida thinks I’m nuts for feeling this way so it can make me feel like an outcast here.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:41 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
We have a saying up here, "summer is my favorite day of the year"
LOL, that's a good one. When I lived in WA in the mountains, we had a saying, "We got 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding."

The only time I got sick of the sun was when I lived in Redding, CA for a year. It's insanely hot there for half the year, and doesn't cool down at night. We're talking just under 100 degrees and up to 117 degrees, with no evening cool-down for nearly 6 months. I actually started a thread on CD that I couldn't believe it, but I was sick of the sun.

If the OP's eyes are bothered by the sun, by the way, it could be cataracts.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:21 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
It's not an issue with me, as I've been working the night shift for 17 years, and I sleep everyday from roughly 10-11am to 6-7-8pm every single day. I hate the longer days, and I'm content with sunshine in the morning until I go to sleep.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:42 AM

1,347 posts, read 934,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think I've met anyone else similar to me in that regard.

I love short days and dark "gloomy" weather all day long. It's so much more calming, forgiving, and cozy.

Sunlight is too loud and harsh, and anything over 60F is too hot. Even when wearing sunglasses, the being in the sunlight makes me squint.

Am I the only non-sun worshipper?
Same here. I prefer overcast, cloudy, and I don't mind rain. I find that I sometimes have headaches on sunny days, and sunglasses are non-negotiable essential for me if it's bright outside. I sometimes joke to people that I'm a vampire. It's hard to get on board with the "omg it's such a beautiful day", no thanks, get me inside out of this piercing sun and bring on some clouds please.

As someone else mentioned, I also prefer earlier sunsets and the dark. It seems like things quiet down more once it is dark. Summer is my least favorite season by far, sunset is not until 9 or 9:30 at the peak. Ugh.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Many of us moved to the Seattle area from California for the nice cloudy sky and rain 9 months of the year. We really only have sunny warm days in July and August, and only up to about 85, far better than 105 through mid September that I had to endure for 40 years down there. Of course, being so far north our summer days are much longer, but after about 6pm it cools off fast here. My favorite time of year is September when it's cooling off and starting to rain a bit but still not real cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology