Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:27 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,092,282 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've met anyone else similar to me in that regard.

I love short days and dark "gloomy" weather all day long. It's so much more calming, forgiving, and cozy.

Sunlight is too loud and harsh, and anything over 60F is too hot. Even when wearing sunglasses, the being in the sunlight makes me squint.

Am I the only non-sun worshipper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,018,059 times
Goth, right?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,092,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Goth, right?
No. I didn't realize I have to wear 10 lbs of eyeliner and listen to The Cure to not like the sunlight.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM

22,983 posts, read 18,291,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

I love short days and dark "gloomy" weather all day long. It's so much more calming, forgiving, and cozy.

Sunlight is too loud and harsh, and anything over 60F is too hot. Even when wearing sunglasses, the being in the sunlight makes me squint.

Raised hand here. Grew up in SoCal and hated all that hot sun beating down on everything day after day after day. SAD in reverse. Bright sunny hot or even warm weather makes me want to curl up indoors, read or sleep until it passes.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,335,289 times
I'm with you. As a 68 year old woman. I'm hardly Goth. I live in the Pacific Northwest and absolutely LOVE dark, rainy days. If we get too many days of sunshine in a row, I get really cranky. Sort of a reverse SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Not many people here agree with me and can't wait for the sunny summer. I DO love wearing just a shirt, jeans and sandals, but when the weather starts getting rainy and cool, I'm in heaven.

So you are not alone. Move to the PNW and you'll be very happy.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:43 PM

532 posts, read 439,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

I live in Alaska, Winter is long and dark, in December the sun cracks the horizon and is up for 2 1/2 hours, contrasted to around mid May when we are into 24hrs of light, even when the sun sets it stays light out.

Maybe we should make an arrangement and switch houses every Winter ?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,994,343 times
I like the short days. I'm happy with the 4:30 sunsets. For some reason, I feel safe once it's dark. I feel like the business day is over, no knocks, phone calls, bad news, etc is coming.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,629,495 times
I grew up Southern California and absolutely hate the hot, sunny days we get much of the year! I would love to move to a cloudier place without snow.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:50 PM

532 posts, read 439,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Raised hand here. Grew up in SoCal and hated all that hot sun beating down on everything day after day after day. SAD in reverse. Bright sunny hot or even warm weather makes me want to curl up indoors, read or sleep until it passes.

Thanks to the military I've had the pleasure of SoCal, coastal Carolina, Hawaii, Okinawa, Texas and Arizona for my sunny duty stations. Somehow Alaska ended up as the last one with the kid in High School. She and my wife like the gray and gloom and have their eye on PNW, they actively avoid the sun and don't like sticky sandy beaches either. Actually my daughter is transferring to Portland State. Good to compare notes here and see that my wife and daughter may be normal after all.

I do the sun worship thing in Alaska when I can. In the middle of summer when its out its at such an oblique angle my old bald white body can hang out all day without getting burnt.
We have a saying up here, "summer is my favorite day of the year"

Gonna retire in a year or so and have to see how far south I can get my wife to go

Old 03-15-2018, 08:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,734,103 times
There is a reverse seasonal affective disorder, there's an older thread, I think.

If it's serious, check with your MD about referral to a psych MD for a one-time evaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology