Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 03:42 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

What does it mean psychologically when a romantic interest is either unable (but specifically not intended in a rude way on their part though) to make or to sustain eye contact with you, while they are talking directly to you, in a one-on-one conversation? For example, does it indicate that they may possibly have confidence or self-esteem issues? Or something else? Was jc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Could be lack of confidence, self esteem. There could be issues with shame...

Old 03-25-2018, 04:22 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
A lot probably depends on how well you know this person. It could be simple shyness that they feel around most people, embarrassment, feeling defensive, suspicion, attempting to ignore you, or even an unconscious desire to get out of the current situation.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Welp, if they're not looking at you but they're a romantic interest (on your part, towards them?), that may not be a good sign. If I understand what you're saying, if they were attracted to you, they would be looking at you, I think. If they sense that you are attracted to them but they don't feel the same way, they may be embarrassed and not know how to handle the situation.

My recommendation is to back off a bit and see if they come to you. If not, look elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:36 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Autism?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:04 PM

20 posts, read 19,827 times
I personally don't like to maintain direct eye contact when speaking. I'm not sure why. I am pretty confident and don't lack self esteem. I was in law enforcement and was told it could be the fact that I'm lying or I have daddy issues....LOL Nope....I am very close to my dad and I don't go around telling lies. It just makes me uneasy when people stare at me when they are talking. If anyone has another other ideas Id like to hear them as well.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedward7 View Post
I personally don't like to maintain direct eye contact when speaking. I'm not sure why. I am pretty confident and don't lack self esteem. I was in law enforcement and was told it could be the fact that I'm lying or I have daddy issues....LOL Nope....I am very close to my dad and I don't go around telling lies. It just makes me uneasy when people stare at me when they are talking. If anyone has another other ideas Id like to hear them as well.
You don't want to stare at people but you do want to look at them occasionally and acknowledge their existence.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:27 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Anxiety can cause a person to avoid eye contact. Maybe they have a tic or a lazy eye and are self conscious about it? Is that possible? Sometimes my eye goes into overactive winking mode when I've had too much caffeine or when I strain them from reading or painting for too long! And it feels like it's a huge motion, but it's really just a little tic that's not noticeable to others. Just a thought.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
What does it mean psychologically when a romantic interest is either unable (but specifically not intended in a rude way on their part though) to make or to sustain eye contact with you, while they are talking directly to you, in a one-on-one conversation? For example, does it indicate that they may possibly have confidence or self-esteem issues? Or something else? Was jc...
Either unable or don't want to.
In both cases I back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology