Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times

Advertisements

I notice that in some areas of West LA many business owners are stingy and don't let you use the restroom easily unless your a paying customer or something..

Now I ask lets say someone you don't know at all needs to urgently use the restroom either number 1 or 2?

They knock at your house, your business etc

Would you help a stranger lets say use your restroom in your own business or house? Why or why not?

After all using the restroom is pretty much an unavoidable part of a human eventually you have to use the restroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
No to entering my home. I don’t even know you. If business, it’s okay. It’s a public place.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:53 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I notice that in some areas of West LA many business owners are stingy and don't let you use the restroom easily unless your a paying customer or something..

Now I ask lets say someone you don't know at all needs to urgently use the restroom either number 1 or 2?

Would you help a stranger lets say use your restroom in your own business or house? Why or why not?

After all using the restroom is pretty much an unavoidable part of a human eventually you have to use the restroom.
In my business yes, definitely. I have a bladder problem and I've often had to pull over at some place like a gas station or something to use the restroom. What business owners who don't have restrooms available to the general public can't possibly understand is that some people have medical problems which makes them have to use the restroom at inconvenient times--even if they used it right before they left the house in an attempt to avoid the issue! There may be unsavory characters who use the public restrooms too, but let's not punish these other people like me--and it's a real horrible punishment, I would imagine those business owners who choose to do this have not experienced. I can only imagine that because if anyone has, I don't think if they were not a sociopath or something, they would not wish it on their worst enemy!

I also have stopped along the side of the road and went in the bushes too, but that's less desirable. Also, if you're on your way to work, it takes time and then unless you're out in the middle of nowhere you have to risk being caught for public indecency and having to be registered as a sex offender.

So business--definitely. Even though I hate laws, I kind of wish, since we have to many of them anyway, this would be a requirement of businesses, that they have to make restrooms available to the public paying or not.

My house, I would love to because I would love to help anyone with this issue. I'd only be worried they may be just saying that in order to do something wrong to me like attack me in my home or check out my place to break-in and steal something later. So, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation. I would really want to help them out, but I'd have to be in that situation to say for sure what I would do. And I have never been yet.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
No to entering my home. I don’t even know you. If business, it’s okay. It’s a public place.
Why so?

Do you feel like they are going to rob, attack you , or steal things from your restroom?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times
Not in my home, but I would feel bad about it if I could see that they really had to go.

My cousin once had a salesman come to his door and asked to use his bathroom and he let him in. He said the man left behind most bizarre odor he'd ever smelled.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Why so?

Do you feel like they are going to rob, attack you ...?
Yes, asking to use the restroom or the phone has been used in the past by rapists and murderers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Todd_Lee

This particular killer told police, who said there were no signs of forced entry, that he had knocked and asked one of the women if he could use her bathroom and another one the phone. He strangled her with that phone cord.

I don't answer the door for people I don't know.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:13 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Sorry I can't help you. For all I know, you can try and come in and rob me or put my family in danger. Yes, I don't trust people any more, and yes, is sad that simple trust in mankind is lost somewhere. With everything going on in this world, I can't trust anyone, and I am sorry. I have to constantly looking out on my surrounding. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:15 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:

No way would I ever allow someone I do not know into my home to use the restroom. Heck, I don't even answer the door if I am not expecting anyone.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Like BirdieBelle, I don't answer the door for people I don't know.

However, when I babysit young relatives, I leave the doors unlocked and neighborhood kids come in and use the bathroom (sometimes unannounced). I lock the doors when not babysitting now, because some kids got too used to it...

Old 04-04-2018, 07:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
However, when I babysit young relatives, I leave the doors unlocked and neighborhood kids come in and use the bathroom (sometimes unannounced). I lock the doors when not babysitting now, because some kids got too used to it...
Hahahahaha!

Kids have NO idea about boundaries like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology