Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times

Advertisements

Idk....we label & diagnose everyone now. Can't anyone just be a plain ol' arsehole anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There is no therapist/narcissist relationship. Narcissists don't seek out therapy. They don't know they're ill, and wouldn't believe it, if someone told them they were. Even if one did seek help, the therapist would never tell them that they are a toxic person. That's not how therapy is done. The situation you're imagining from reading this thread, wouldn't exist. I think you've misunderstood some of the posts.
My household narci manipulates her therapist. She just goes (and is compliant in any way) because her dad's going to buy her a (nother) car.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Idk....we label & diagnose everyone now. Can't anyone just be a plain ol' arsehole anymore?
Apparently, they can.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Not if those close to them want to understand their behavior, and how to respond to it. Information, understanding, is empowering, and helps people make sense of their world.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:04 PM

569 posts, read 439,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
The bolded part is very interesting to me. With my Mother, I suspect it is both DNA and childhood/upbringing. That's a combo that would be tough to penetrate!

This part may astonish some -- I lived for over 25 years in a region of the country that, throughout US history, has been very homogeneous. In terms of the part of Europe (United Kingdom) the vast majority of inhabitants originally came from, the predominant and strident religion there, the ethnicity, the fact that it was mostly rural so locals rarely experienced different ideas or behaviors.

ONLY in about the last 20 years have people from other parts of the country or world migrated to and live in that region. Even now, they're still not there in big numbers. So, given all that, there is truly some very standardized behavior amongst millions. Unfortunately, I'm prepared to say that a substantial portion of the population raised there, by families that have been there for generations, have very limited emotional ranges. They are some of the coldest people I've ever known (I've lived in 3 regions of America). They emulate compassion -- you can tell because their actions don't match their words and even the words sound hollow. Listen closely and you'll hear their motivations for why they do this or that. It's almost always because of the personal benefit.

I could regale with stories and examples of the fakeness, deceptions, manipulations and gaslighting that are part of everyday life -- they were raised that way and have never lived anywhere else. So, it is normal to them. You could describe how something they did was thoughtless or rude or unfair and you'd simply get a blank look and a change of the subject. There is zero willingness for self-reflection or assumption of responsibility. I have a strong argument to make that the majority of that native population are on the narcissistic spectrum, millions of them. Simply scary.

This is interesting. Do you mind sharing where you are from?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:34 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
This is interesting. Do you mind sharing where you are from?
Not being cute, but first, would you like to guess the region I was referring to?
Substantial clues were provided......

Old 04-09-2018, 01:38 PM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
Quote:
Yikes someone with common sense on the loose

Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Not being cute, but first, would you like to guess the region I was referring to?
I'm a bit at a loss? Appalachia?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm a bit at a loss? Appalachia?
Good guess. The answer is: Yes, but it extends far beyond that. The larger region would be the Southeastern USA or you might say, the plantation South. VERY similar culture throughout 9 or 10 states. (Florida is an exception -- developed later and with alot of people from the Northeast and of various ethnicities.)

The culture of the South is unique in America. No other area has been so homogeneous and much has been written about it. If interested, this is a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur..._United_States --- it doesn't address the aspects I mentioned, naturally. I'm sure I'll hear get some flack about this too. That's part of the issue.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Somewhere in New England? Or Appalachia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology