Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 AM

134 posts, read 191,804 times

Advertisements

So the situation was like I was out all day somewhere and having a day out and after that said day out, I was so tired had an afternoon nap, woke up at 6:30pm and 5 minutes later my friend calls and asks me whether I would like to meet her somewhere, but the story about this I had a big day out, slept for the afternoon, woke up and then slightly after that got a call asking me to hang out but since I don't drive and rely on public transport (out with mum so thats how I had the day out somewhere remote and she drives) and wouldn't have been able to make it so I had to turn it down, what would you do??? would you feel bad about this situation about turning it down?? have you turned down last minute invites? please let me know???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:31 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
No, I don't like last minute anything. My days are planned and I need advance notice of any changes, at least 24 hours. You don't have anything to feel badly about. We all should value our time and by extension, ourselves.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
No need to feel bad and we do not do last minute invitations out either.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
So the situation was like I was out all day somewhere and having a day out and after that said day out, I was so tired had an afternoon nap, woke up at 6:30pm and 5 minutes later my friend calls and asks me whether I would like to meet her somewhere, but the story about this I had a big day out, slept for the afternoon, woke up and then slightly after that got a call asking me to hang out but since I don't drive and rely on public transport (out with mum so thats how I had the day out somewhere remote and she drives) and wouldn't have been able to make it so I had to turn it down, what would you do??? would you feel bad about this situation about turning it down?? have you turned down last minute invites? please let me know???

Nothing to feel bad about...

Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Nothing wrong with that. I would thank my friend for the invite, briefly explain why it wasn't going to work, and might follow up with a request for a raincheck. That it was "last minute" doesn't really change anything; I don't get bent out of shape over last minute...sometimes spontaneity is great. I just decline if it isn't convenient.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Before I had kids, spur of the moment invites were fine. I naturally lean more spontaneous than planner.

That said, the presence of kids, especially small ones, requires more lead time for planning. Life got less spontaneous.

At this stage, I'd need more lead time.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
At any rate, people who routinely make spontaneous invites at short notice are usually pretty accustomed to people not being able to make it happen.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:32 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
I had one the other day. It wasn't really last minute -- invited at 3 o'clock for dinner that evening. I already had things scheduled for the afternoon, and for the next day, etc.. It would have been too much for me. I could tell the friend was disappointed -- she is very spontaneous and I am the opposite. I felt guilty, but I need to have control of my time, since I am busy.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:07 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
No reason to feel badly about it. Stuff happens. Even if you like to do things spontaneously, it's not always possible.

You'll meet up another time.

Did your friend react badly or something?

Old 04-09-2018, 07:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Since your decline was due primarily because of transportation,it's excusable.

My friends and I rarely plan....we learned that moments and opportunities are sporadic. So we tend to go with the flow. We figure if we have the time..we spend it well.
Hope you get to redo an evening out. Friends can brighten your day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology