Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:37 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,186,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I live in an HOA and have none of the symptoms. I must either live in the best HOA in the world or be the best adjusted individual in history. Or more likely the professor is full of Sh*t. I think I feel a case of Nutty Professor Shilling Crap Syndrome coming on.......

In reality, HOA CC&Rs are no different than the many City/State/Federal laws that you agree to follow to live where you have chosen. If people can have HOA syndrome then they can also have City, State or Federal Law Syndrome. All of those control the things people can do with their property. I always LOL when people are outraged that an HOA can put a lien on your home for non-payment of dues. Just try not paying your property taxes and see how fast the City puts your home into foreclosure.
We work exclusively for HOAs, and I’ve seen this sort of stuff with very sensitive residents. It’s too easy for some to take everything personally and spend their lives hurt and sad. Which is very sad.

I’ve also seen plenty of people who should never have moved into HOAs. They practically seek fights by declaring CC&Rs “stupid” and the rules shouldn’t apply to them. They do things they know aren’t allowed and drink in the drama as it ensues. Insanity.

But for the most part, people who move into an HOA are fine with the HOA. Most HOA rules are simple.

But — I also work at a place where the dramatics are high art, threats of lawsuits over a lot of people, owner residents/landlords who refuse to maintain their property so when the stuff blows up, the HOA gets to pay because none of them seem to understand they are the HOA. The building has become 60% rentals with offsite landlords. Out of sight out of mind. I’ve had units red tagged in this building.

After so many years of witnessing all the shenanigans...I’m never living in an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 02:38 PM

21,716 posts, read 12,783,839 times
Quote:
All rules are arbitrary since someone other than you enacts and enforces them. Just like with government, you get a vote to elect representatives in an HOA. Unlike government, it’s pretty easy to remove people from the Board. Not to mention people for the most part don’t want to serve on the Board since they get no pay or perks to do so. Also unlike government where entrenched politicians tend to serve for many years.
Okay. Arbitrary AND nonsensical.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:39 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,769,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Good for you

I never got the point of HOAs. So you are paying someone to tell YOU what you can/cannot do in a home that you OWN?

Good grief...there are zoning ordinances and laws that do that for free
No. I’m paying someone to take care of my yard, pay my water and sewer bill, insure my home, provide regular pest control and a termite bond, paint/repair the exterior as needed, give me a new roof as needed, pave the roads (no pot holes here), maintain and repair the water lines and remove snow amoung other services. Why people persist in believing that all a monthly HOA payment does is give the Board the right to enforce the rules is beyond me. Especially since the Board members get no compensation.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:41 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,769,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay. Arbitrary AND nonsensical.
In some cases of course. The city I live in has some draconian rules as to what you can have/park in your yard both front and back. Just the price one pays to live here.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,318,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not, though. He has spoken about it at colleges in Nevada.

It's ridiculous, yes, but a little Googling shows that he is serious.
He may be serious, but I'm not sure he's sane.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:19 PM

8,247 posts, read 8,599,140 times
Quote:
No. I’m paying someone to take care of my yard, pay my water and sewer bill, insure my home, provide regular pest control and a termite bond, paint/repair the exterior as needed, give me a new roof as needed, pave the roads (no pot holes here), maintain and repair the water lines and remove snow amoung other services. Why people persist in believing that all a monthly HOA payment does is give the Board the right to enforce the rules is beyond me. Especially since the Board members get no compensation.
You beat me. I was going to post the same thing.

HOAs are necessary because every person has a different idea on what is acceptable. From style, to what maintenance is required, and behavior.

Most HOA rules are only for about 10% of the residents. The other 90% just live their lives as most normal people do. As I tell my people it doesn't affect your life in any way, shape, or form if there is a rule on what color your front door is. You are the same age, same health problems, your kids still love you the same.

There are people that don't belong in an HOA. The "no one is going to tell me what to do" types. These types usually have a quiet embarrassed spouse hoping for the day when they will be widowed. Then you have the ones with some weird ideas about land and ownership. They mention rights and freedom quite a bit and seem to be paranoid.

In my HOA we require a meeting with buyers before closing. Every person we met with were very happy we did that. The last one had several pages of questions. She never asked them. She said I answered every one during my presentation. I realize there are some bad HOAs. In most cases that means owners that won't get involved and board members tired of serving people that complain about things they agreed to when they bought their home.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:59 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,920,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not, though. He has spoken about it at colleges in Nevada.

It's ridiculous, yes, but a little Googling shows that he is serious.
College of Southern Nevada is a community college, not a university or four year school.

It should raise a huge red flag when someone labels himself "Professor Gary Solomon, A.A., B.A., M.P.H., M.S.W., Ph.D., Ph.D. (ABD)", with degrees ranging from a community college two year degree (AA) to a bachelor's to master's degrees to doctorates (one never completed - that's what ABD means). Academics with doctorates DO NOT include lower level degrees unless they're trying to make themselves into something they're not.

Further, Solomon writes:

Quote:
The focus of my ongoing research is the new and groundbreaking field of panspermia, quantum mechanics and nano-technological Darwinism in evolutionary neuropsychology
Come on - can you seriously read the above sentence and not see it as a spoof? There's no such "new and groundbreaking field", and "nano-technological Darwinism in evolutionary neuropsychology" is nonsense.

He's either a fraud, a satirist, or delusional. Or some combination of these. Further, by referring to his "discovery" as a "new diagnosable psychiatric disorder: HOA Syndrome" he's either manipulating his readers or evidencing a total lack of understanding of how disorders become identified and diagnosable in the mental health professions: certainly not by an unknown "professor" at a Nevada community college self-publishing a wacko paper.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,318,841 times
People, look him up and all will become clear.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:08 AM

3,051 posts, read 1,665,003 times
I used to work for city government, and I saw the worst human behaviors from HOAs. Yes, we also had residents who felt that the rules should apply to everyone else but themselves, although most are not this way. But we went through quite a period when a newer subdivision, one with ridiculously rigid and demanding covenants, went through Hell with ... uh ... badly behaving board members, and they were getting mad with The City because we couldn't back them up on any of it. All of that crap is a civil matter. All the city cares about is what is CITY code... thank God.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:22 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,754,030 times
I live in a condo association and it is just fine. My mom use to live in an HOA and it was a nightmare (the type that complains about the color flowers planted, though no rules about it, then they dig up the flowers and tell her to sue them if she does not like it, using HOA funds for the legal fees of course), she moved and her current HOA is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology