Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 02:57 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times

Advertisements

I had to use google to find out who the hell Tony Robbins is because I had no idea. Turns out he is some douche bag "Life coach." Lmao I couldn't listen to more than about 15 seconds of that video. If you find yourself following him, you really need to get a grip and just grab some confidence up and go make things happen. Why would you need to listen to somebody like him doing all that lip flapping and telling you what you want to hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 03:00 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
First of all, "gal?" I'm sensitive about being called a girl. As in, "the girls in the office." I won't say anything, but I will never trust or like anyone who uses that outdated language. To me, this is not dissimilar to calling black men "boys." It's insulting and degrading.

I'm not a "girl" and have not been for many decades. I'm a big, powerful, intelligent adult female. Don't call me a "girl." Women are also not "chicks."
Hm. I don't really have a problem with these words. I personally hate being called "ma'am" because phonetically, it sounds like a bleating farm animal. But I don't care for it in forums when men excessively use "females." Sounds like they are aliens trying to comprehend our species. It's just weird, and makes them look very disconnected from humanity like that.

I think that women is probably the most appropriate term, but I don't mind if someone is trying to use dialect and varied wording to make a more readable text. I've been known to say "chicks"...but it's in the same spirit that I say "dudes."

Maybe it's just me, I mean, all opinion here, mine's no more valid than yours, but I feel like intent means everything. It speaks more to me than the specific words that are used, when context informs me as to the spirit of what's being said.

I think maybe that's why the nonverbal part of that video was so powerful to me, so much more, even, than the words being used. I could have watched it with the sound off, and I'd still think, "Wow, what a jerk that guy is." The spirit of the interaction was obvious.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:09 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
It took less than a minute to answer your question. He says he was not against the me too movement, he is against "victimhood". Case closed. If you are a victim what are you supposed to do, ignore what was done to you, not seek legal redress? Would he say that at a convention of holocaust survivors, or a group of impoverished workers who just lost their jobs and pensions due to corporate malfeasance, or a bunch of people who have been victims of violent crimes, or the people suffering from cancer due to intentional dumping of waste in their neighborhoods? If you are a victim you do want it acknowledged. You do want help in getting some redress. You don't need a glitzy multi millionaire self help guru telling you not to be a victim. Would he tell his daughter that if she was a victim? I doubt it. He would probably use every dollar at his disposal to crush the perpetrator. His comment sounded like a sleazy way to diminish the victims by saying they should just get over it.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:30 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
So even if you don’t get it, he did and apologized .
He apologized because he is back peddling. Trying to save his business. Not because he felt he was wrong.

I think the MeToo movement is way overdo. Women have been putting up with this nonsense way too long. And men don't get it.

I listened to a Podcast last week: "This American Life--Five Women". Eye opener to what goes on constantly.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:34 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
He apologized because he is back peddling. Trying to save his business. Not because he felt he was wrong.

I think the MeToo movement is way overdo. Women have been putting up with this nonsense way too long. And men don't get it.

I listened to a Podcast last week: "This American Life--Five Women". Eye opener to what goes on constantly.

err, I KNOW that

Old 04-12-2018, 03:36 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
It took less than a minute to answer your question. He says he was not against the me too movement, he is against "victimhood". Case closed. If you are a victim what are you supposed to do, ignore what was done to you, not seek legal redress? Would he say that at a convention of holocaust survivors, or a group of impoverished workers who just lost their jobs and pensions due to corporate malfeasance, or a bunch of people who have been victims of violent crimes, or the people suffering from cancer due to intentional dumping of waste in their neighborhoods? If you are a victim you do want it acknowledged. You do want help in getting some redress. You don't need a glitzy multi millionaire self help guru telling you not to be a victim. Would he tell his daughter that if she was a victim? I doubt it. He would probably use every dollar at his disposal to crush the perpetrator. His comment sounded like a sleazy way to diminish the victims by saying they should just get over it.
exactly. He goes on about empowerment etc but shut your gob if you are fighting against abuse, etc.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd ask that you at least try to see a sliver of this from not just a female perspective.

Sooo, you're a 50 year old male boss-type.
Can you just ask that new 22 year old gal out to lunch like you do with your buddy Pete in accounting?
Would it be "just another part of the workday"?

OR

Did you just make her feel uncomfortable? Is she thinking you're up to something?

Just asking you to look at it from another perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
First of all, "gal?" I'm sensitive about being called a girl. As in, "the girls in the office." I won't say anything, but I will never trust or like anyone who uses that outdated language. To me, this is not dissimilar to calling black men "boys." It's insulting and degrading.

I'm not a "girl" and have not been for many decades. I'm a big, powerful, intelligent adult female. Don't call me a "girl." Women are also not "chicks."
Holy crap. lol

Old 04-12-2018, 06:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Am I supposed to feel sorry for men in positions of authority because they now have to watch their mouths and be careful not to say something untoward, and watch their eyes and be careful not to talk to my chest? I mean, that's rough, buddy, but I've spent my entire female life watching my mouth to make sure I didn't come off as emotional or assertive or critical or bossy or human. The effing LEAST you can do is check yourself that you're not habitually belittling or harassing your female and/or minority colleagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Some of them just don't like it when women also talk. If you feel lectured simply because yours isn't the only voice in the room, that might be something to contemplate. Or not. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think the MeToo movement is way overdo. Women have been putting up with this nonsense way too long.
Yuuuup. I think the thing is, first world women en masse finally have enough independence, money and clout to simply that as a group we can refuse to take this crap anymore. We don't have complete parity, but there are very few fields left now where the establishment can just shut out women altogether for getting too uppity, especially when you include the consideration that there are also increasing numbers of men who actually do treat women as equals and won't condone sexist or harassing behavior anymore either.

Quote:
I'd ask that you at least try to see a sliver of this from not just a female perspective.

Can you just ask that new 22 year old gal out to lunch like you do with your buddy Pete in accounting?

OR

Did you just make her feel uncomfortable? Is she thinking you're up to something?

I should hope that if you're a "boss-type," you've got at least two brain cells. So if you're concerned about optics, how about you rub those two brain cells together really hard, and come up with a simple solution. Just off the top of my head, how about inviting a few members of the team rather than just one?

Old 04-12-2018, 06:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:

OR

Why can't you ask her to go to lunch with you AND your buddy Pete, if you're really scared of falling prey to temptation or causing the young woman to view you askance? Unless you think you and your buddy Pete might gang up on her, there would be safety in numbers.

Of course, you could just be professional about the entire thing and take turns going out to lunch with everyone in the office, regardless of gender. Do it alphabetically, or by birthdays or something. Just behave yourself with everyone. Be courteous and respectful to everyone, avoid talking about sex, politics and religion; you know, the stuff Mama taught you (or should have).

Good grief, some people must make life so difficult for themselves... and tangentially, for others

Last edited by CraigCreek; 04-12-2018 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I'd like to know how any woman has gained personal significance from the MeToo movement.

Anyone who says that has no clue whatsoever about the backlash of coming forward with that kind of story. It is never a good time.

I won't watch it. I have never been able to stand this egomaniac self-proclaimed guru. I don't get why people need gurus. But, guys like him will always profit from that need in vulnerable people. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology