Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

I'm 5'10, dated both tall and short men. It just so happens my husband is 6', but height wasn't the basis of the attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:07 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
I'm 6'4" and my late wife was 6'0". I have yet to date a woman taller than me, but would have no objection if the chemistry was there.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
Positive responses on the thread but I can honestly say unfortunately that this is probably selection bias due to the global nature of the internet.

In reality, I have rarely seen a couple with a taller woman and a shorter man (live in Ireland). Perhaps we are still a conservative country along with a low population.
It's pretty rare, in part because the average man is about 5 inches taller than the average woman. Even if people got together randomly, most men would be the taller one in the couple. So people's fairly unaffected expectation is that the man be taller, and then men and women form a sort of attachment to that. I think about as many men prefer that women they date be shorter than them as women preferring that men be taller.

While this seems to be a pretty strong preference compared to others, people don't date a set of preferences. Although I get the vague sense that may be what you're trying to do.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:09 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, I'm 5'7-1/2", do I qualify to respond?

My response is: of course I would, and I have. Don't be ridiculous. Bear in mind that there are all kinds of women out there; some do say they have an inflexible height requirement. So what? There are plenty that don't. Best wishes!

Old 04-13-2018, 11:30 AM

20,386 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I'm not a tall woman (5'3") but I have never had a height consideration. I never filtered men on online dating by height, or said a single thing about it in my profile. I actually sent a first message to a man who was less than 5' tall. He was an incredibly talented mural artist and he seemed like a really cool guy! Too bad, he never messaged me back. Oh, well. And I've always thought that the hottest character on GoT is totally Tyrion, but I always like the brainy character on any show.

I know I am not the ideal respondent, not being a tall woman, I'm just saying height doesn't matter to me and yes I stick to that across the board, I walk that talk.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:41 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
I have and I would, if I were available again. I'm not going to blow smoke - taller is usually more attractive, all things being equal - but it's not a deal breaker or even a major consideration, just one attribute of the overall person.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
I'm "only" 5'7", an inch short of the target height, unless I've shrunk, lol. But yes, I would date shorter guys, and have before. What their heart is like is more important than their height. Will he be kind to me, and be my friend? That is what I want. So far I haven't found that, and I'm running out of time.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:04 PM

20,761 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
My wife is two to three inches taller than me. I am 5'8. My height didn't matter. What matters is she's attracted to me and loves me.

If superficial women want a man who is taller than them, focusing only on appearances, then they are not going to be happy, because they want the "perfect" man, and if the man is not "perfect", the woman will try to "fix" him.

A lot of women have these "checklists" in their minds and the man has to fit all those "criteria", with the boxes being checked off. "He has to have hair. He's tall. He must have this...he has to be this..." Sorry, but in this day and age, women cannot afford to be picky.

"But I want to feel protected! I want a man to protect me!" What is the difference between a man who is 5'8 and protects a 4'11 woman, as opposed to the same man protecting a 6 foot tall woman? The woman is protected anyway.

Those superficial women are not worth bothering with.
Can you love someone you are just not attracted to? EVERYONE has a checklist.

- must have an income
- must be in a certain age range
- must not have more than 2 kids
- not more than 300 lbs

.. So this is superficial, too?

Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The only thing that seems strange to me regarding height is when there is a couple with a foot or more difference in height. It's not a problem or issue, but seems sort of unbalanced on some level.
But are THEY happy with each other? That is all that matters. Everyone else can go chase themselves.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I would and have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology