U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 12:55 AM

51 posts, read 31,434 times

Advertisements

I've seen a couple of threads online and they seem to confuse men who say that what women say in virtual life about dating is different from what they say in real life; specifically height requirements.

I've noticed though that this threads fail to distinguish between a man who is:

1. SHORT - Man's height is shorter than the average male's height but women responding to the OP who would date him are around his height or shorter

2.) SHORTER THAN THE WOMEN - Man's height is less than his partners (e.g 5ft 4in male with 5ft 9in female)

So in regards to the 2nd option, would any tall women here date a man who is shorter than them? If not, why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 01:18 AM

365 posts, read 228,603 times
My wife is two to three inches taller than me. I am 5'8. My height didn't matter. What matters is she's attracted to me and loves me.

If superficial women want a man who is taller than them, focusing only on appearances, then they are not going to be happy, because they want the "perfect" man, and if the man is not "perfect", the woman will try to "fix" him.

A lot of women have these "checklists" in their minds and the man has to fit all those "criteria", with the boxes being checked off. "He has to have hair. He's tall. He must have this...he has to be this..." Sorry, but in this day and age, women cannot afford to be picky.

"But I want to feel protected! I want a man to protect me!" What is the difference between a man who is 5'8 and protects a 4'11 woman, as opposed to the same man protecting a 6 foot tall woman? The woman is protected anyway.

Those superficial women are not worth bothering with.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:18 AM

2,968 posts, read 1,006,212 times
I'm 6'3" so I almost always date shorter men. Someone on here insulted me once by saying that men never want to date women that are taller than them, but that's not true in every case, though perhaps in most cases. What makes a man sexy, for me at least, has nothing to do with height or even looks. It is the intelligence, the internal motivation, the strength of character and a host of other things. And short men have that.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:54 AM

2,968 posts, read 1,006,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
My wife is two to three inches taller than me. I am 5'8. My height didn't matter. What matters is she's attracted to me and loves me.

If superficial women want a man who is taller than them, focusing only on appearances, then they are not going to be happy, because they want the "perfect" man, and if the man is not "perfect", the woman will try to "fix" him.

A lot of women have these "checklists" in their minds and the man has to fit all those "criteria", with the boxes being checked off. "He has to have hair. He's tall. He must have this...he has to be this..." Sorry, but in this day and age, women cannot afford to be picky.

"But I want to feel protected! I want a man to protect me!" What is the difference between a man who is 5'8 and protects a 4'11 woman, as opposed to the same man protecting a 6 foot tall woman? The woman is protected anyway.

Those superficial women are not worth bothering with.

This is one of my favorite subjects: men!! Love them!! I kind of divide them into "males" and "real men." It's kind of hard to pinpoint, but Real Men have something special. I'm not sure what it is but it's relatively rare and immediately apparent when you meet them. Probably a combination of intelligence and will?

I'm trying to think what my "checklist" would be. Maybe something like:
1. Intelligent, quick-witted and kind.
2. Deep sensitivity to animals, and doesn't eat them or murder them for food or sport.
3. Has read everything and is aware of current events in politics.
4. He works out, runs or swims and is strong.
5. Enjoys classical music.
6. I like math/science guys or engineers.
7. Genuinely likes women.
8. Not addicted to anything.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:17 AM

9,354 posts, read 16,824,797 times
In two of the happiest and most insync and content married couples in my circle of friends the wife is taller than the husband.....

Old 04-13-2018, 08:35 AM

15,200 posts, read 8,504,300 times
I don't quite fit your requirements...I'm 5'5" but I married a man who was 5' 2"....we eventually divorced, but obviously not over height!

Old 04-13-2018, 09:27 AM

51 posts, read 31,434 times
Positive responses on the thread but I can honestly say unfortunately that this is probably selection bias due to the global nature of the internet.

In reality, I have rarely seen a couple with a taller woman and a shorter man (live in Ireland). Perhaps we are still a conservative country along with a low population.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:49 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
The only thing that seems strange to me regarding height is when there is a couple with a foot or more difference in height. It's not a problem or issue, but seems sort of unbalanced on some level.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,824,910 times
I’m 5’10”

I’ve dated women who were 5’11”, 6’2”, and my current fiancé who is 6’1”

So that should answer your question in that tall women are ok with dating shorter men. And vice versa. Tall women (atleast the smart ones) don’t limit themselves to men who are only taller.

Only time I can say things got awkward was with the 6’2” woman. I mean you really have to be confident because folks will stare. It looks unbalanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Most superficial women figure out eventually that they can’t find the perfect man. I used to date a woman and her ex was 6’10” but things didn’t work out so she realized how dumb it was to focus on just height or appearance.

Same thing happens to men. Men who focus on just looks will eventually realize the relationship won’t work unless they actually get a long together and are compatible which has nothing to do with her looks.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:28 AM

9,870 posts, read 8,158,454 times
I’m a short guy. Ive dated taller women. In my talks with them it wasn’t about my height as it was about confidence. I never let my height bother me nor define me. Some short guys have a complex that effects their confidence around women. Either they become overly confident to hide their insecurities or they are withdrawn and meek. I never chased tall women. I chased women. My wife is very short, 4 feet 10 inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or