Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Do you ever miss an earlier version of yourself -- even though you don't actually wish to go back to that period in your life?

For example, someone might be single and miss the time when they were in a long-term relationship. Or, it's the exact opposite -- they're in a steady relationship, but sometimes miss the sense of freedom that being single gave them, even though they're happy with their partner.

Maybe they reflect on their carefree college days, the time they worked with their dad on the farm, or late-night outings with close friends before having kids.

Again, it's not that you want to be that person all over again, but you sort of miss being more naive and carefree, with more opportunities on the horizon than you may have now.

Has this happened to you?
WellI sure don't miss being "naive and carefree"...rather be wise and carefree any day.
I DO miss the physical strength and stamina I had in my younger days though.

I also miss the fact that there were waaaay more good paying jobs available waaay back, and also that we weren't regulated and ruled to death like we are now.
I find some of the pre-requisites required for simple jobs today to be absolutely rediculous.

I also miss the ease with which drivers liscences were obtained...not like the prolonged, dragged out, expensive fiasco required today.......poor kids.

Other than that, I guess I can't really say that my younger self fared much better than I am today...except for the health part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Me at 30... women would pick me up and one even kept showing up at my weekend place unexpected.
Replace "women" with "men" & "pick up" to "attempted p/u" & you've just described the annoyance & fears of being a woman, any age... at least in my experience.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
There was a point in time that I lost the ability to be amazed. It feels like there is nothing new under the sun. I don't see anything happening (short of an asteroid strike or super volcano eruption) for the remainder of my days that will surprise me.
I'm pretty jaded and cynical about life in general. Maybe I'm just more realistic than in my youth.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:06 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
One thing that kind of bugs me is that my life feels "penciled in" now. I get off work. Two nights ago, mom needed help with something, and grandmother needed her tires refilled. It always seem like this or that needs to be done.

I miss being able to simply eat dinner and just veg out playing video games in front of the TV all night.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:36 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing that kind of bugs me is that my life feels "penciled in" now. I get off work. Two nights ago, mom needed help with something, and grandmother needed her tires refilled. It always seem like this or that needs to be done.

I miss being able to simply eat dinner and just veg out playing video games in front of the TV all night.
Just wait. Unless your family is willing to make other plans for assistance, you're likely to be "on call" far more in the near future than you are at present. I hope you can accept this situation with grace, because eventually the day will come when you'd give anything in the world to get a call from mom or grandmother, asking for your help with some little task, and playing video games instead will seem inane.

Take care of yourself, but cherish your elders and be aware that your time with them is limited and fleeting.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:29 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Yes, I miss everything about my life before I had a disabling back injury/surgery.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:36 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Do you ever miss an earlier version of yourself -- even though you don't actually wish to go back to that period in your life?

For example, someone might be single and miss the time when they were in a long-term relationship. Or, it's the exact opposite -- they're in a steady relationship, but sometimes miss the sense of freedom that being single gave them, even though they're happy with their partner.

Maybe they reflect on their carefree college days, the time they worked with their dad on the farm, or late-night outings with close friends before having kids.

Again, it's not that you want to be that person all over again, but you sort of miss being more naive and carefree, with more opportunities on the horizon than you may have now.

I do miss the Beforetime Me who wasn't mired in bitter cynicism.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:42 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
Quote:

I left NJ looking for a better world, not having to have your guard up all the time and less drugs.

I was doing great but still had the shadow of "He's From Jersey" following me.

The better you do in life, the more people want what you have or get off on sabotaging all your gains.

I believe in paying it forward, do a little extra. We need that mindset taught to the next generation. Instead it is take all you can form people or the government with the least amount of work.

Work ethic and the reward of accomplishment isn't taught anymore. Instead it's all about the money.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:

This is a good question.

For me it's more the opposite. I wish I could go back to an earlier time in my life with the knowledge and maturity I have today. I would make different decisions that would lead to me having a much more fulfilling life up to this point.

There are certain things I miss about my younger self. I miss pre-ex gay conversion therapy me. The me that was more emotionally ready for a relationship (at least moreso than now) and actually had boyfriends. The me that was reckless enough to move to a large city on the east coast without a job. Today I am stuck in a rut, single, in the closet, basically living to pay off a car I was weaseled into, in a job that's only tolerable in a small conservative city that I hate living in.

On the other side of that, I look back at some of the self-destructive habits I had back then and the lack of self-confidence and there is no way I would want to go back to that version of myself. I just wish I didn't have all the baggage created by that me here with me today.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:38 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
I am a natural introvert that grew up in a very small bubble. So in my mid 20's when I realize how tiny my bubble was and how much of life I missed out by being introverted, I pushed my boundary & life was about doing as much as possible, didn't matter if it was smart or foolish, didn't matter if it was going to give me results... I just wanted experience, things I can talk about, things I can look back at, things that are different for the sake of being different. And I pushed myself to be heart of the party, to be adventures, to be carefree. None of those are my core personality and as I turned 30 and got married, I reverted back to my original introverted self that takes calculated risk. But sometimes I still miss the girl on a mission to be carefree. I miss pushing my boundary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology