Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:30 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Complaints about the present are not always invalidated by our old age
We did not gang rape our teachers when I went to school
There have been a few changes
Horrible, horrible, absolutely unbelievable things have been perpetrated from one person to another at all times throughout history. Especially against certain groups but not exclusively. Yes, young people gang raped adults when you were young. Teachers too. or sometimes, other kids. Just not at your school, but that does not mean it didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
These are the 'The Good Old Days'.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
These are the 'The Good Old Days'.
When her adult children would gather together and begin burbling rhapsodies about the "good old days," my paternal grandmother, usually a quiet, collected woman, would guillotine the conversation by snapping, "The good old days were never the good old days to those that lived them!"

Old 04-22-2018, 11:46 PM

61 posts, read 42,856 times
I think that America had a golden age between 1950-2000. Certainly those years weren't great for everybody but on the whole better than now in many ways.
So if you lived between those years you are probably correct in remembering the "good old days".

Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
I think that America had a golden age between 1950-2000. Certainly those years weren't great for everybody but on the whole better than now in many ways.
So if you lived between those years you are probably correct in remembering the "good old days".

I remember we ate fruit by season and it actually had a taste on the other hand one never bit into a lovely apple without checking for maggots first

Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Horrible, horrible, absolutely unbelievable things have been perpetrated from one person to another at all times throughout history. Especially against certain groups but not exclusively. Yes, young people gang raped adults when you were young. Teachers too. or sometimes, other kids. Just not at your school, but that does not mean it didn't happen.
No we did not I was there
I did not say rape never occurred
Please read my post I said teachers talking about teachers
Attacking teachers is new
At least in my own k12 and 70year experience
Even in New Orleans in the poor side of town it used to be fist fights among the young now it’s shootings
No friend it has changed
The boys will be boys defense is no good
We have made a turn in the road

Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Everyone seems to dislike young people and what they're doing, no matter what generation it is. Maybe we just don't like change!! and we see young people as stupid and immature! Older people always look down on younger people for these reasons.

For the record, I'm not old. I'm only 39.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:07 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Selective memory is a wonderful thing. By any objective measure, the best time to be alive is now.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Everyone seems to dislike young people and what they're doing, no matter what generation it is. Maybe we just don't like change!! and we see young people as stupid and immature! Older people always look down on younger people for these reasons.

How is a discussion of differences between the past and now a judgement that no one likes young people?? The fact young people in cities now shoot each other when it used to be fists is not a judgement about young people, it's a fact not opinion first off, but second it's because guns are now so prevalent in our society. No one is blaming young people for that. Old people shoot each other more now too.

And yes, people always do rail about changes in society and norms, and they always have. People in the 50's and 60's were complaint about Rock n roll. It didn't equate to disliking young people then or now. It's not a competition.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post

Well generally speaking young people are stupid and immature when compared to older people. It's not purposeful but something that comes with not having as much life experience which will change when they get older as it always does for every generation.

But for the most part I agree with you. "The good ol' days" talk really just represents an aversion to change. Which is sad because change in both life and society is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology