Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Wow, You do realize size does not equal strength. Just because a female is the same size as you, she doesn't have the strength you have and that's just genetics.
She could at least try to help a little. I'm kinda biased on all this cause my wife likes doing "physical" work around the house, at least things she can handle physically.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:56 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Did you really just try to show up a 13-year-old girl?

I don't ask anybody to carry anything for me either...or generally act helpless....I'm not Ms. Physical but I can't see waiting for help to arrive...I might be waiting forever, LOL!

I grew up protecting my brother...today, I protect my children and husband...they would do the same for me. In a crisis situation I think I would be trying to protect myself so I could live for them...BUT if for example someone were screaming for help, in pain, or say it a child were in trouble, I don't know that I could live with myself if I didn't try to help. How could you kick some little old lady or dude aside to take cover, and go to sleep at night? Or look at yourself in the mirror?
WTF???.....No, just pointing out that her saying she was a certain height/weight female at age 13 didn't really give her any advantage except maybe over other girls or very slight boys that age. She seemed to be somewhat deluded that she had no reason to fear and could take on anyone because of her elevated size at that age....which, again, is big for that aged female but not that crazy for a similar aged boy. And...as someone above pointed out, size and physical strength aren't always the same...i.e.; a larger female is not as physically strong as a male of smaller stature esp. as they get into teens/young adults.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:02 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You seem oddly offended by the idea that random women don't automatically consider you their savior.
Random women normally don't consider men their savior until they have been saved by them.....which, if it comes to pass, is what happens the majority of the time.....while there are some rare exceptions, normally they don't get physically involved in stopping violent crime, holding down unruly people (say on a flight or fleeing a crime), etc.

Last edited by luckyram; 04-21-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I’ve seen this many times: An accident at an intersection where I am waiting for a green light & in the time it took for my ears & eyes to signal my brain that something just happened right in front of me:

There is a very ordinary, unassuming & regular guy who is already pulled over & out of his car, running towards the wreck. He has immediately established himself as in charge; checking on the passengers, directing traffic around the scene, delegating random people here & there...

Yes, there will be women who stop & help. I’m one of them; as an RN with Trauma experience I wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t. But I’m not that guy.

Rarely does this guy resemble Thor. Or Rambo or Superman. He’s just a guy, on his way home from work, who stands out in a crowd as a leader. It’s not that women flock to “A man” ... It’s that inside every “A man” there is the potential to protect, provide & lead.

They are the ones who have chased shoplifters, purse-snatchers & hit & run drivers. They are the guy that suddenly appears by your side when you are trying to push your stalled car off the road, or ask if they can help when you have a flat tire.

It doesn’t have to be some epic scene of going down in a blaze of glory. It’s a Man. Doing what men used to be born to do. It’s one of the few things that give me hope for the human race.

That despite decades of the “There is no difference between men & women” sniveling BS that has been decreasing the status of both men & women; there are still males that are Men.

There is a difference, you know.

There is nobody here or anywhere that can teach me anything about males who abuse women; that I don’t already know. And have experienced. Nothing.

The only women who have endured worse are dead & buried. I’ve been to the edge & back ... heard the ringing buzz of a bullet that missed my head by inch, been strangled unconscious, etc ... Guess what?

Those aren’t Men.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:06 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
She could at least try to help a little. I'm kinda biased on all this cause my wife likes doing "physical" work around the house, at least things she can handle physically.
Even a strong woman is not as strong as a weak man. It's not a bias or sexist thing, it's a fact. I do a lot of physical work around my property also, I"m not a weakling but I still have my limitations. My husband and sons have to do some of the heavier lifting. I'm not full of testosterone. Obviously neither are some of you men on this thread.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Maybe more "morally" obligated. Unfortunately, they will feel the wraith of society if they do otherwise.
I don't know; I like men and think the best of them have a sort of naturally protective attitude towards women and children. They're also not fools, however, so it does depend on the circumstances.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
At 13 I was 180lbs and 5'10 ft tall and would have easily handled you...and adult male could be even larger and obviously stronger....what's your point?

The point doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you (or a big adult man) would have easily handled a girl who was a lot smaller than you.

The point is, when you were a 13 year old child would you have stepped in front of your father to protect him and physically confront an angry man who was obviously a lot larger and stronger than both you and your father, knowing that the big angry man would easily mop up the floor with you?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:49 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Even a strong woman is not as strong as a weak man. It's not a bias or sexist thing, it's a fact. I do a lot of physical work around my property also, I"m not a weakling but I still have my limitations. My husband and sons have to do some of the heavier lifting. I'm not full of testosterone. Obviously neither are some of you men on this thread.
Don't get it twisted, I am and have always been the first to step up and help ANY female, I'm just saying that a (competent) female gets a little more respect on my end if they ATTEMPT to do some type of manual labor, and then like a true gentleman, I will be there to "take-over or assist" accordingly.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
The men at the École Polytechnique massacre were excoriated for not leaping forward to take a bullet for the women.

Excusing the men who ran away - Macleans.ca

Old 04-21-2018, 01:06 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The men at the École Polytechnique massacre were excoriated for not leaping forward to take a bullet for the women.

Excusing the men who ran away - Macleans.ca
I did not know about that. Horrifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology