Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 07:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Going into a large empty bathroom with rows of stalls and you choose one. Then a person walks in and picks the stall next to you. So it is you two together in the large bathroom.

Same with gym showers. Rows of showers. It is empty and you pick one and start showering. Next thing you know, someone enters the shower next to you. So it is you and that other person against the world.

Can't figure out the deal with that but it is irritating.
I've noticed this about lockers, too, especially on a day when the gym is relatively empty, and I come back to my locker to find that the one right next to mine is now occupied and someone has their stuff all over the place and kind of blocking me from getting my stuff out.

It seems to me that on a day when the gym is mostly empty and there are dozens of empty lockers, people would have the courtesy to choose a locker that is not right next to one with a lock on it. This would eliminate that annoying moment when both people then need to get their stuff out right next to each other at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 07:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
LOL, especially the long and loud belch which sounds animalistic. There was this one guy who would make it a point to sit next to me while I'm at the library trying to work, and he would be doing those long and loud belches. It sounded like a half-pig or something.
Believe it or not, I had a co-worker who was in a different office (with a shared wall that went all the way up to the ceiling) and she used to belch so loudly we could hear it through the wall. We checked with the office on the other side of hers and that guy could hear it too. And hers wasn't a small office, either -- probably 15 or 18 feet long with the usual 4 walls and a door.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Phone conversations in public...the worst.

Blowing one's nose is another
Woah. I blow my nose quietly in public because I think it's ruder to wipe my nose on my hand, my arm, or let my nose drip and make disgusting noises to clear the mucus.

Sheesh.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:51 AM

Rude:

Anyone sucking their teeth because they have food between their teeth. It's not just an old man thing.
Spitting. I don't care if someone is chewing tobacco or has allergies. Getting a big wad ready to let loose. No.
Gum under tables. People that chew gum should know how to dispose of it. Under the table, behind the ear, on the sidewalk, or in the parking lot is not the place.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People who comment on strangers' parenting in public places are on my short list of rude.
. . . . .
Why do they have a parenting forum if it isn't to share, ask advice, and learn? People wouldn't post AND offer advice if there wasn't a need. For me it's therapeutic to go over there and give my two cents or post if I wish and it relieves some stress. No, I don't know these people but I also don't know any of you.

I do see most people on here have little patience. I also got a good laugh from some of the replies. The problem in our society is people aren't respectful of each other. They're too concerned about their own little world and don't think outside of it.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
I don't know if this is public.. but when people call me and say " can you call me back I have something to talk to you about"

Err, wanna give me a preview? If people would say something like "I want to talk to you about your paperwork" or "I have a question about your expenses last year" -- they would get a call back quickly and I probably would be ready with all my ducks in a row. But calls like Hi this is such and such can you give me a call back thanks... make me want to punch the caller.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
I love this thread! I am glad to see that many others have the same complaints that I do.

There are so many things that drive me crazy out in public. Here are a few..

1. People who do not flush the toilet in a public facility. Gross!
2. People who do not control their screaming and running wild [mod cut]kids in restaurants and stores.
3. Smokers who leave their disgusting cigarette butts where ever they want. Any litter bothers me.
4. Loud talkers, especially those using their cell phones.
5. Groups walking in parking lots without regard for how they are blocking traffic. Single file, please.
6. Folks who are writing checks in a grocery store and dont start writing it until after the total is rung. Please have it filled out except for the amount. Better yet, join the 21st century and use a debit card. Yeah, I know, some dont want to do that, but please be considerate of those behind you and be ready!

Those are a few of the things that irritate me out in the world.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-03-2018 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate term.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Some people here are claiming that blowing your nose is rude? Really? Out of all things this is considered rude? What are people supposed to do if they have allergies or a cold? Wait till they get to a hiding spot such as a bathroom stall or in their house? I have allergies now and when I'm out in public I will blow my nose into a tissue. If you don't like it then too bad.

But as far as things that I find rude, I can tell you this. I work in NYC and you will not find a place with ruder or nastier people. The people here flat out suck. Some of the things that they do that bother me are:
-Littering
-Not cleaning up after their pets
-Playing loud music on their headphones where everyone can hear it
-Putting their feet up on a busy train like they are in their living room (I saw an old lady do this while chatting on her cell phone, I called her out on this and said it loud enough so the person on the other end of the phone could hear it)
-Not tending to their spoiled, rotten and mean spirited kids at public parks
-Not stopping at stop signs for pedestrians
-Talking/texting on their phones while driving
-Not saying thank you when you hold the door for them (or them not holding the door for you)

I'm sure there are more but this is what I can think of so far

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I think people need to take appropriate amounts of responsibility for those in their care. Whether that's their kids, or pets.

I'm a Mom, and I remember when my boys were little, and yeah, they are cute and you love them more than every other person on the planet combined, and I get it. But not everybody else loves your kids the way you do, nor do they need to. And in fact, cute as they might be, they are not innocent little angels. Nor are they...Indians? Seriously...? But what they are, is uncivilized, wild little savage goblins, if you don't teach them and supervise them.

One peeve of mine though, is adults going bananas and screaming profanity, generally losing their cool at their kids in public. Like how are you gonna teach a kid self control, or convince the kid YOU are in control, if obviously, you are completely out of control yourself now?

But also? Dogs and cats. I like dogs, but I don't need anyone else's dog being let free to jump and drool on me. Leash your beastie, if you please. And as a cat person myself, I keep my cat indoors (he is actually scared of the outside, but if that weren't the case, I'd use an enclosure or a leash/harness.) I don't like seeing cats let out to wander. Not just because they kill everything and poop in other people's yards...but also, I don't want to be the one to run over your cat by accident with my car when it runs into the street. I would cry. You would cry. The neighborhood kids would cry. Everyone would need to blow their nose. It's just a bad time. Keep your pet inside, or leash it.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I find it rude when someone is always late and then laughs about it.

I don't want to be your friend if you can never get somewhere on time.
Amen.

Speaking of the cell phones (other posts), I was at Home Depot yesterday and wanted to buy three things.
The lady ahead of me had a bunch of crap but couldn't bother to get off her cell phone. With the other hand, she was gesturing wildly while hold a broom (almost hit the cashier twice).
When her highness finally had time to complete her transaction, she realized she didn't have her money. She told all of us in line very pointedly that her car was "just over there" and walked (not run, WALK) out into the parking lot.
At which point the cashier (who had enough of this bs) suspended her transaction (I didn't know you could do that) and then started ringing the rest of us up.

What a jackass. You could tell she really expected us all to stand there while she went to her car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology