Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 PM

393 posts, read 305,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
Hey Springs,

Where do you live so I know NOT to go that city/town and eat in restaurants there!

Julz
So you don't think these are rude, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,830,900 times
People spitting in public. A man once spat on the sidewalk right in front of me. Absolutely disgusting.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
There are two types of rude behavior in my opinion: (1) self-entitlement based rudeness and (2) ignorance of what is appropriate rudeness. Since my home area is within one half day driving distance of metro NYC I see more than my fair share of type 1 rudeness.
While I agree there is a lot of rude behavior in NYC (where I live), I find it odd that you could be ""within one half day" (4 hours?) driving distance from NYC, which could put you in Boston, Baltimore, or rural Pennsylvania, yet you would still blame the bad behavior in your area on NYC.

Unless you are truly in commuting distance to NYC, then I see no reason why rude behavior in your area could be blamed on NYC. I think blaming your area's rudeness on another area is just... rude

Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,360,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I actually have this problem MUCH MORE that they don't ask you if you even want a dessert. I lower the tip when this happens. I was at a restaurant recently where a waitress did this. I don't understand WHY they can't just **ASK** you and just ***ASSUME** everything? What is so horrible in saying "Would you like any dessert or anything else?" Then plop the check down if they answer is "no", but instead they think they rule the service, NO, OUR TIP MONEY RULES THE SERVICE and we should get to get what we want out of our tip money, NOT THEM!
They want to rush people out to get more tables during their shift time, to get more tips. When they do this, I lower their tip considerably. I don't have to feel sorry for them because they work as a server. I don't have to tip 20% if their attitude or service is poor. If the manager wants to ask me why I didn't tip much, I'll be happy to discuss it with him/her.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:51 PM

1,347 posts, read 943,057 times
Speaking of cashiers... the ones that look annoyed when I respond "yes" to the question "would you like a receipt?"

Especially if I'm at an airport, where it should be obvious that many people are travelling on business and may have to submit receipts for their expense reports.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:37 PM

393 posts, read 305,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Speaking of cashiers... the ones that look annoyed when I respond "yes" to the question "would you like a receipt?"

Especially if I'm at an airport, where it should be obvious that many people are travelling on business and may have to submit receipts for their expense reports.
I hate when restaurant servers **DECIDE** not to give you back your itemized receipt after paying. Some say "Most people don't want it", but it's **NOT THEIRS** to take away, it's the ***CUSTOMER'S** DECISION ONLY! Also, they have to buss the table after we leave anyways, so I don't REALLY get that rush about throwing it away?

I have more and more places not willing to give you an itemized receipt. I thought it was by LAW to give you that?

Old 05-10-2018, 04:45 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,534,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I am sorry, but I 100% TOTALLY DISAGREE with you, because it's a NEW LINE, so whoever gets there first should get it. I cannot stand when I am in Walgreens and they open up a new line saying "Next guest in line", because that's not fair. It should be WHOEVER gets to the line first. I don't care if was me next, it should be considered a NEW LINE, with NEW sets of people that can be first. Just because you are in a line doesn't mean that you get to get out of the old one and be first in the new one.
Completely disagree. It is fair. It isn't a new line. They are helping to clear the old line. When ever single person in the old one has been taken care of... then it is a new line.

Of course this could be eliminated by them doing the one line system.

When I was a cashier I would get my rocks off by taking the sign down and letting some selfish fool come running over and then looking straight at them and saying... were you next in line? And when they say no go, "next person in line please" ha ha.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:49 PM

7,688 posts, read 5,435,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Not sure that it's rude, but it is frustrating, especially if you're pressed for time and at the drive-thru for a Starbucks-type place (here in Buffalo, it's likely to be a Tim Hortons) with the expectation that the person in front of you is about to order a large/venti/whatever coffee and they instead ask for two of everything on the menu
I am sure it is not rude for anyone in front of me to order whatever they want in whatever quantity they want. They got there first and I chose to get in line behind them.

Sorry it is frustrating for you. Maybe you're drinking too much caffeine?

Old 05-12-2018, 07:22 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,040,571 times
It may be a "natural" event, but I can't stand when people (usually older males) blow their noses LOUDLY in public. And I think using a hankercheif to do it and stuffing it back in your pocket is disgusting....JMO.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:42 PM

88,462 posts, read 84,565,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
People at an event with a public speaker who want to turn "questions from the audience" into a lengthy back and forth between them and the speaker. NO - let someone else ask a question. I was just at a conference this week, where an audience member made a couple of points, and then said "One more thing..." and the speaker cut them off with a "No!" because of time restraints. Hooray!!!!
I attend a lot of industry events and have seen that happen many times. As a matter of fact, I've been the speaker who has to say, "See me afterward and get my card and send me an email so I can provide you with more information because we are running out of time."

Yesterday I saw something else that I thought was odd. Maybe not outright rude, but the behavior was definitely out of place.

I attended a luncheon given by an engineering organization that was presenting scholarships to a number of high school students who were going on to study engineering. There were several hundred people there including very high-level people from some of the biggest engineering firms in the city as well as higher-ups from public agencies. Fancy venue with formal table settings and uniformed wait staff.

The top three scholarship recipients were presented on stage and each gave a short speech telling why they chose engineering and where they would be attending school. I was pretty impressed with each of them. Smart, well-spoken kids. There was applause after each speech.

The names of the remaining scholarship recipients, ten or so, were then read and each one was asked to stand wherever they were at their table and be recognized. When the names of about half of them were read, whoever was sitting at their table erupted into whistles and WOOHOOs and YEAH YEAH YEAHs. I don't know if this was family members or friends or what, but it was totally out of place for the setting and the audience. If I were the recipient, I would have been embarrassed. It was as if they were at a sporting event rather than a business function. Acting trashy in front of your friend/family member's potential future employers is probably not really a good idea, folks. I suppose it could be argued that they felt the industry event was a little too staid, but if you see that's how it is, suck it up and behave appropriately for where you are, especially when these staid, formal people are giving your friend or family member thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology