Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times

Advertisements

It's all a matter of perspective. The point of all this, is whatever you believe it is, just like everything else. Objective truth doesn't exist. Everything is subjective.

I believe very much in the whole "pursuit of happiness" thing. Granted, I am a privileged af white American woman saying this right now, and certainly the pursuit of happiness is a whole different animal in various places one could be born on this earth, but I take nothing for granted. What I have, I am grateful for.

And I do believe that life is a journey, not a destination. I'm here to have experiences. Heck, maybe there is some kind of a god-being that can only live by experiencing stuff THROUGH us. *shrug* I don't pretend to know such things, but it's a fun idea. (I'm not religious, just mildly philosophical.) Consciousness as a conduit to a greater intelligence? Hm. Maybe. Regardless, I feel compelled to do lots of things...awesome things...and think a lot about stuff, and meet many people, and hear their stories, and think about them, and touch lots of lives, and give what I can, and appreciate what I get.

Besides. If I snuffed it now, who would feed the cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spets View Post
I actually have a job and one where I'm good at but I sort of don't see a reason to advance anymore. I'm becoming lazy in my field and I tell my bosses I need a challenge and something else to work on, but damn I feel like im stuck these days
Who said you have to always keep advancing? If you don't see the point--then don't. Enjoy the plateau you're at. If you don't feel challenged, maybe considering looking for a different employer, where you might be a good fit.

There's more to life than work, you know. Since you seem to be in a solid place economically, why not take a look around your community, to see if there's a way you could contribute? Volunteer, or get on a non-profit board to help in some way, or find some pastimes or personal projects that turn you on. Some people find inspiration in nature. Hopefully, you have more going on in your life than just work?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM

153 posts, read 130,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the happiest people are the ones who don't consider their work to be anything other than a means to finance the rest of their life. For instance, the postman who shows up and is friendly to people on his route, he clocks out and goes home and enjoys his family and his hobbies after work and on weekends. His work is not his life.

This is usually someone from a different culture/country, than the typical work yourself to death American.

I didn't learn how to do this before I retired, but I think that's the key. Don't take work too seriously, accept that it's how you finance the rest of your life and that it's not a waste of time, but rather a simple necessity. Figure out how to do it so that it doesn't suck all of the energy and life out of you, so you can then go home and enjoy yourself.

I think this also requires lowering your expectations or goals regarding where you live, or how big of a house you buy, or having expensive things or cars, etc. So that you don't need as much money, to minimize that stress, too.
This is exactly the philosophy I try to base my life on. Life really is the journey, not the destination. One of my favorite mottos is: Work to live, don't live to work. I'm happy and mostly stress-free in my non-managerial office job and I earn enough to support my basic lifestyle with leftover to add to my savings.

The problem I have is when people like me get belittled and accused (by "the typical work yourself to death American") of being lazy for choosing to live simply, be happy and enjoy life and not focus on work and advancement all the time.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
This is exactly the philosophy I try to base my life on. Life really is the journey, not the destination. One of my favorite mottos is: Work to live, don't live to work. I'm happy and mostly stress-free in my non-managerial office job and I earn enough to support my basic lifestyle with leftover to add to my savings.

The problem I have is when people like me get belittled and accused (by "the typical work yourself to death American") of being lazy for choosing to live simply, be happy and enjoy life and not focus on work and advancement all the time.
Yes, it's the curse of "potential."

Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
I have a problem realizing something about life. I see all human life as slaves living, working, reproducing just to die

Some people may say, welcome to the real world or whatever... but i kind of didn't think about this stuff before getting older

Basically, whats the reason to work hard and advance in your career when you are just some slave who will work a long time, day in, day out work with the dumbest and silliest project managers, supervisors, and people below you who just end up annoying you to one day you turn too old and than you have to retire and live your life?

This whole time, a wasted life working for some company. I just don't know anymore...
My observation is that you're seeing all of life through the lens of your profession/work.

For most people, their work IS, in fact, a big proportion of their life (and, for those who truly enjoy their work and find it a calling, they may consider it to occupy a big place of honor and importance in their lives). But even those people often do have things in their lives outside of their work and their work roles that bring meaning to their lives. Whether it is family, leisure activities and hobbies, personally meaningful participation in some other aspect of life (perhaps being part of a spiritual community, volunteering, etc.)

If your work is not especially fulfilling and is literally sapping enthusiasm for life outside of work from you, it's worth reflecting on other ways in life that you can find meaningfulness. Lots of people do it; there isn't any reason you can't, as well.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:39 AM

818 posts, read 456,276 times
This is why l've worked for myself 99% of my working like, nearly 30yrs.
sure it has it's issues that most people working for a boss never deal with or even get. But they have their issues too that l'll never deal with.

But one things for sire , they couldn't even comprehend my life compared to theirs and the way l can live and have since l left school pretty well.
l only work a few hours a day a few wks a month plus l have 3 or 4mths a year off straight on top of that. Get up when l want sleep when l want , do what l want.

lt's not perfect , it does come with worries and sometimes tight mths, but other mths l'm loaded and it isn't my dream job but l do like it and l get satisfaction out of it.
Ever since school l thought there;s no way in hell l'm working 9 to 5 or 48wks a year for a pissy few weeks off a year, forget that bs.

lt's pretty hard to find a life where you don't have to work at all, but hey they are out there if you got the courage to find it or create it and live it. l created my own. As l say it's not perfect but if you do gotta work then it ain't too bad at all haha.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
I have a problem realizing something about life. I see all human life as slaves living, working, reproducing just to die

Some people may say, welcome to the real world or whatever... but i kind of didn't think about this stuff before getting older

Basically, whats the reason to work hard and advance in your career when you are just some slave who will work a long time, day in, day out work with the dumbest and silliest project managers, supervisors, and people below you who just end up annoying you to one day you turn too old and than you have to retire and live your life?

This whole time, a wasted life working for some company. I just don't know anymore...
I really know for me it really is beneficial to have a job that allows me to feel I am contributing in a meaningful way. When I was a young person and trying to better my financial situation job satisfaction wasn't so important but now I wouldn't work just for the money (at least not full time). It sounds to me like whatever you are getting out of your job your job is no longer fulfilling to you. Maybe you need to move on to a position that will allow you to grow in a way you feel is meaningful.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
I have a problem realizing something about life. I see all human life as......
make a concerted effort to ignore and forcibly reject that stupid voice in your head.
Don't argue with it, shut it up.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,193 times
Read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Find a job that gives you some enjoyment, but don't expect a life of constant joy. And if you find you're giving yourself over to despair, get some professional help.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:22 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
OP, you just got a ton of very good advice!

You actually don't have to change a lot about your life at all to be content if you are managing to feed, clothe and shelter yourself. But what I learned in mid-life was that it was important for me to change the way I thought about my life in order to provide satisfaction.

I started by changing my definition of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology