Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compared to other forums you frequent, how do you characterize the overall atmosphere on CD?
Less Positive / More Negative 56 49.56%
About the same 30 26.55%
Less Negative / More Positive 27 23.89%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

P&C seems like a complete waste of time. Maybe if one of my goals was finding repeated opportunities to bash my head into a brick wall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:09 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
P&C seems like a complete waste of time. Maybe if one of my goals was finding repeated opportunities to bash my head into a brick wall...
P&C is where I go when I want to blow off some steam rather than have a serious discussion.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:51 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
I always say I'll never post on P&C but then sometimes I can't help myself! Glutton for punishment.

But the subject matter on forums in general says people are scary ignorant these days. Case in point: subject headings for most popular at the moment on the side of the screen as I type this: *Are people getting dumber? *Giving a 10-year-old a cellphone *Can you buy a cheap rundown house and fix it up as you live in it? *I'm 18 and want to move out.

At least they're varied.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:03 PM
KCZ

4,670 posts, read 3,665,713 times
I agree. I find CD to be more negative and more ignorant than almost all other forums I visit.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:14 PM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Definitely more negative and ignorant than most forums I frequent. Mostly due to the political leaning. I don't remember it always being so overrun and it makes me sad.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I think the overall negativity is a little above average on CD but nowhere near extreme, compared to the many other forums I frequent.
I don't visit many forums. I think part of C-D's problem is it's just too big. I also think the moderation is sometimes excessive, which leads to members getting snarly, which then leads to a negative environment. I think less aggressive moderation would improve the forum, particularly if moderation was directed at the members most needing it.

I rarely read much of this forum because most of it plain doesn't interest me. I don't visit at all unless I'm bored. In fact I'm turning off my computer to go read a book until it's time to get ready for this evening's date.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
In my experience, CD is far less abrasive than forums which are unmoderated. USENET, for example, is a zoo. And the old-fashioned "listserves" from which this sort of thing originated, are also scary p!aces if there is no moderation. Yahoo Groups have pretty much been superceded by Facebook. And there are still a lot of privately owned boards that are paid for by advertising, but those are slowly dying out, I think. Then there are the locally owned BBS's, which can be rather terrifying if the groupthink turns against you.

I've participated in probably every forum associated with my professional interests, for several decades. There are seldom or never really great artists on there, and I should know better; not to suggest I'm a great artist, but I should follow their example and not participate in public forums. I say that because I am always hurt by them, denigrated and criticized and eventually, kicked off. That never fails to happen, sooner or later and I've tried to figure out why.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I think the overall negativity is a little above average on CD but nowhere near extreme, compared to the many other forums I frequent.
There are all kinds of forums out there, OP. Some are downright scary, almost! It's weird. There are a few where people actually get along, haha. But those are rare. Good moderation is key. IMO C-D has improved in recent years. More mods have been added to some of the sub-forums, and it's improved the quality.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
USENET, for example, is a zoo.
USENET is free space, totally unregulated. There are no moderators. The rule is, if you don't like it don't read it.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:17 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times
I find CD less negative overall. I don’t visit many forums, though. I made the mistake of reading an article on one money-related site and glancing at the replies. It was like being at a MGTOW site (or how I envision such a site). The comments there about women in general were dripping venom and are the reason I avoid most sites. It is depressing to see so much hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology