Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compared to other forums you frequent, how do you characterize the overall atmosphere on CD?
Less Positive / More Negative 56 49.56%
About the same 30 26.55%
Less Negative / More Positive 27 23.89%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't think this forum is OVER-moderated; I think it's selectively moderated. It often seems arbitrary to me.
In a forum this large selective moderation cannot be avoided. Just check the moderator:member ratio, and you'll discover the number is so small that full coverage is impossible.

For example, I have been on staff in perhaps several dozen or more forums. I have seen only one that had multiple sections in the mod/admin section. I bet CD has a whole mod/admin complex structure of its own.

Even I have a multiple structure. One staff only section includes all staff. An uber-section includes only those in ownership involvement. There we discuss the performance of staffers, who to hire, who to fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:11 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
It is no different than any media outlet. The bad news is what gets talked about. It depends on who is in office to what it is.
Also, is it just me or has more and more subforums here degraded into "warzones"? When I first came here many years ago, only the PoC forum was a "warzone".

Old 06-07-2018, 08:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I find all the crazies, dumb as rocks, dimwitted, mentally unbalanced, maladjusted, uneducated, unknowledgeable, non-readers, people seeking to cause trouble, people who are in love with themselves, people who think they are clever or witty, people who actually live in the relationships forums and always think they definitively and unalterably know all the answers, and extremists a bit depressing or dismal.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Also, is it just me or has more and more subforums here degraded into "warzones"? When I first came here many years ago, only the PoC forum was a "warzone".
The biggest forum attracts the most freaks.

In terms of forums CD is one of the major "cities" in the world. You know big cities attract all the fruits and nuts from the countryside.

CD is what it is because of its size.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:19 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
About the same, but in different ways. In most of them, it's a bunch of bratty teens and twentysomethings complaining about how their favorite media franchise isn't staying the same as it's always been.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:23 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I find all the crazies, dumb as rocks, dimwitted, mentally unbalanced, maladjusted, uneducated, unknowledgeable, non-readers, people seeking to cause trouble, people who are in love with themselves, people who think they are clever or witty, people who actually live in the relationships forums and always think they definitively and unalterably know all the answers, and extremists a bit depressing or dismal.
Hey now. I resemble that remark.

You're making me want to find you and hit you in the face with a whipped cream pie, clown style, just so you won't find me depressing or dismal.

Harumph.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:43 PM

I'm in love with Sonic_Spork, but in the nicest, platonic, drama free, long distance way!

Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The biggest forum attracts the most freaks.

In terms of forums CD is one of the major "cities" in the world. You know big cities attract all the fruits and nuts from the countryside.

CD is what it is because of its size.
And another phenomenon i noticed over the years that's far more common on CD than other forums is that when someone posts a question, repliers often start assuming things about the OP's intentions (often but not always in negative ways.) A lot of times i ask things here out of pure curiosity. Not that big of a deal but if someone were to overanalyze my post history, esp when I'm tge OP, they'd sure come up with a very confusing and contradictory picture of who i really am.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Ragnarkar, I completely agree, and in fact it's an almost freakish phenomenon I've seen only on CD. The OP starts a topic, and suddenly he or she finds themselves in a fight to the death over defending what may even be a question. My particular pet peeve evidenced in one topic I was seeking help and advice. As the topic progressed and I interacted with and was influenced by the information and advice my perspective and opinion changed. That's good, right? I asked for help and my opinion started to evolve as the answers started coming in. I went and updated my thinking as my thoughts evolved, and they started in on me for not being consistent, for waffling, and that eventually led to my being accused of lying. Then I began getting attacked and even my posts in other topics brought up by people who thought they know me.

I eventually reached the point where my only possible replies would be flames, and not wanting to lose my posting privileges I decided to just opt out of any further replies to the topic. I am sure the moderators appreciated that I chose the high road and didn't get down in the mud with my detractors. The moderators eventually closed the topic about 3 days after my last post.

The ironic part is that the helpful replies that appeared between the snark actually had enough information that I was able to work out the answer myself for the question I posted in my OP.

I'm sorry to say I have seen this same thing over and over, kill the OP if they stick with their original concept, or kill the OP if they deviate from their original concept. Or to simplify it, just kill the OP for having the temerity to post such a topic. It makes me glad that most of the topics I participate in are topics that I didn't start.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
It's related to actual trolling that happens, but some of it might be a deliberate attempt to shut down threads due to their subject matter and mods need to look into who is doing it, because it causes more work for them and stifles some interesting threads. Also, unless someone can produce hard evidence of ill will (e.g., contradictory personal information), bringing old posts into a thread to attack the person who made it should lead to an infraction. The digging is a habit that seems taboo on most other forums. The weird hostility is why I long ago became an infrequent poster here. I don't need experiences that train me to be angry and more guarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology