Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 06:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
My life was riddled with fear , i was under a psychiatrists care, on meds.
I went to AA, worked the 12 steps, recovered and no longer live in fear or need meds.

Anyone telling someone else they have to stop drinking is just talking about themself, theyre thirsty. !

No one in AA ever told me not to drink.
If you want to drink, DRINK.
It doesnt require permission.
Oh yeh, if only I could have a couple glasses of wine and stop. I don't dislike it.
Alcohol dislikes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 07:40 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Quoting yourself Jones?
Yes, just right!
Quote:
Oh yeh, if only I could have a couple glasses of wine and stop. I don't dislike it.
Alcohol dislikes me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Quoting yourself Jones?
Yes, just right!
Yes, just right!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 PM

48 posts, read 34,419 times
Go to AA and share how you feel. Just say you're not sure if you have a problem

Old 05-26-2018, 09:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Are you saying that religion is making you an alcoholic?
No.

Based on this poster's posting history, he has been saying for a long time that as a gay male living in a heavily evangelical community with a highly religiously conservative family and peer group who do not accept his sexuality, he is isolated and deeply depressed.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
...I am the child of two alcoholic parents....
Reason enough to be extra careful about alcohol, drugs, cigs, etc. My late wife's mother became an alcoholic while my wife was still a small child. She remembered her mom as both a fantastic mother and as a lush she was ashamed of. Apparently it only took a few short years to go from an ideal mother to one stumbling into her daughter's school so drunk she could barely walk.

So my wife had never tasted alcohol. Because the tendencies to become addicted often are passed down from parents, she was frightened that a drink might turn her into her mother. She had no problem with others drinking, it simply wasn't for her, and that was only because she didn't trust her own genes.

My current wife's parents were also heavy drinkers. And so is their daughter (my wife).

Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
My life was riddled with fear , i was under a psychiatrists care, on meds.
I went to AA, worked the 12 steps, recovered and no longer live in fear or need meds.

Anyone telling someone else they have to stop drinking is just talking about themself, theyre thirsty. !

No one in AA ever told me not to drink.
If you want to drink, DRINK.
It doesnt require permission.
AA does indeed consider complete abstinence to be an essential element of recovery, and success in the program is largely measured by reaching durational milestones of abstinence.

From the afternote to the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous:

Quote:
"...Newcomers are not asked to accept or follow these Twelve Steps in their entirety if they feel unwilling or unable to do so.

They will usually be asked to keep an open mind, to attend meetings at which recovered alcoholics describe their personal experiences in achieving sobriety, and to read AA literature describing and interpreting the AA program.

AA members will usually emphasize to newcomers that only problem drinkers themselves, individually, can determine whether or not they are in fact alcoholics.

At the same time, it will be pointed out that all available medical testimony indicates that alcoholism is a progressive illness, that it cannot be cured in the ordinary sense of the term, but that it can be arrested through total abstinence from alcohol in any form."
Source: Alcoholics Anonymous, 2018

https://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org...12-steps-of-aa

Old 05-26-2018, 10:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
AA does indeed consider complete abstinence to be an essential element of recovery, and success in the program is largely measured by reaching durational milestones of abstinence...
Yeah, but first you gotta figure out if you are sick. If you aren't sick then there is nothing to recover from.

We engineers got a saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,977 times
Might want to ask George Thorogood. When he drinks alone, he prefers to be by himself.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
AA does indeed consider complete abstinence to be an essential element of recovery, and success in the program is largely measured by reaching durational milestones of abstinence.

Not really, abstinence isn't a true measure.
That's probably the medical view.
Although its essential to begin.
Restoration to sanity is the result of the steps. So that's the measure.

There are many who attend daily meetings for decades who never work the steps and fail to recover, they stay dry but stark raving sober.
The saying is too many yrs and not enough days.

They tend to experience all sorts of complications, Bipolar. Depression etc.
But Its just alcoholism underneath because when the alcoholism is treated the mental problems tend to just go away.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:

That's an odd website.
In AA the term progressive refers to the fact that the illness progress"s regardless whether an alcoholic is drinking or dry.
That's why so many commit suicife when they havnt Had a drink in yrs. They failed to recover.

The medical view of alcoholism differs from the AA view, we don't call it a disease .

There are many examples presented in the big book of AA that demonstrate how the illness keeps right on going whether the alcoholic is wet or dry. Although it progresses a lot faster if there is active drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology