Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Might want to ask George Thorogood. When he drinks alone, he prefers to be by himself.
I only drank if I had company over.
Or if I was all alone.
6 months either side of Xmas was a good time to celebrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No.

Based on this poster's posting history, he has been saying for a long time that as a gay male living in a heavily evangelical community with a highly religiously conservative family and peer group who do not accept his sexuality, he is isolated and deeply depressed.
Well there's gay meetings. They're a lot of fun.

An old guy told me this fellowship is about finding a power that enables you to live without alcohol in an insane world.
I liked that because it said "its them. Not me".
Turned out to be me and the world can be crazy.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yeah, but first you gotta figure out if you are sick. If you aren't sick then there is nothing to recover from.

We engineers got a saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Oh boy, so true.
There are rooms full of non alcoholics who were court mandated, but they aren't alcoholic.
They seem to enjoy the experience so they stay. It becomes a better way of life for many.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Not really, abstinence isn't a true measure.
That's probably the medical view.
It isn't.

What I posted was Alcoholics Anonymous' clearly stated philosophy on abstaining from alcohol use. Nothing more, nothing less.

People who choose 12-step support groups are well-served to understand that upfront, just as they are well-served to understand program reliance on the acceptance of the concept of a higher power.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Anybody who was in AA is an authority on nothing but alcoholism.

If you weren't ever an alcoholic we can discuss social drinking. Alcoholics have nothing to offer on this subject.

Yeah that is tough but it is the truth and you know it. It is people like me who never went over the edge who can rationally discuss social drinking.

Just refer to the CHP chart or the same chart your state sends out. That is how much you can drink and meet .08 percent, the law of the land.

If you ever exceed .08 percent then you are in the danger zone. If you do it most days of the week then you are in the habitual drinking zone.

If you always exceed .12 percent every day of the week then you should start attending AA meetings.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It isn't.

What I posted was Alcoholics Anonymous' clearly stated philosophy on abstaining from alcohol use. Nothing more, nothing less.

People who choose 12-step support groups are well-served to understand that upfront, just as they are well-served to understand program reliance on the acceptance of the concept of a higher power.
Nope, the official position is in the big book and its made crystal clear in the text (repeatedly) that merely not drinking is not sanity .
That single point is hammered home at least 6 times I can recall just from memory.

The medical view relies on the only thing that can be quantified. That is abstinence.

The number of times the word abstinence appears in the big book is ZERO .
same with abstain and abstinent. Zero.

That's says something.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Anybody who was in AA is an authority on nothing but alcoholism.

If you weren't ever an alcoholic we can discuss social drinking. Alcoholics have nothing to offer on this subject.

Yeah that is tough but it is the truth and you know it. It is people like me who never went over the edge who can rationally discuss social drinking.

Just refer to the CHP chart or the same chart your state sends out. That is how much you can drink and meet .08 percent, the law of the land.

If you ever exceed .08 percent then you are in the danger zone. If you do it most days of the week then you are in the habitual drinking zone.

If you always exceed .12 percent every day of the week then you should start attending AA meetings.
Nah, its only for Those who want to attend.

The chains of addiction are too subtle to be noticed until theyre too strong to be broken.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Nope, the official position is in the big book and its made crystal clear in the text (repeatedly) that merely not drinking is not sanity .
That single point is hammered home at least 6 times I can recall just from memory.

The medical view relies on the only thing that can be quantified. That is abstinence.

The number of times the word abstinence appears in the big book is ZERO .
same with abstain and abstinent. Zero.

That's says something.
Quote:
How A.A. Members Maintain Sobriety

A.A. is a program of total abstinence. Members simply
stay away from one drink, one day at a time. Sobriety
is maintained through sharing experience, strength and
hope at group meetings and through the suggested
Twelve Steps for recovery from alcoholism.
Source: Alcoholics Anonymous, c. 2013, "A.A. at a Glance."

Overall, in addictions counseling in general (lay support groups such as 12-steps and otherwise), the concept of moderate use being unattainable for addicts has been gradually studied and found to be in some cases a flawed hypothesis. Much research suggests that there are pathways to addictions recovery that are successful and beneficial that do not require abstinence. AA, however, as an organization does still continue to promote the idea that abstaining from alcohol wholesale is the singular path to combating addiction, and the earmark of success. This is historically true, and the official party line hasn't changed, despite the continual influx of knowledge via ongoing research.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:16 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Nope, the official position is in the big book and its made crystal clear in the text (repeatedly) that merely not drinking is not sanity.
This is just a humorous comment that by applying mathematical logic to your sentence, it can be restated as, "... merely drinking is sanity." This is due to reversing the double negation.

I now return you to the main topic!

Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
OP, you suffer from analysis paralysis (among other things).

You've been posting for years here about your misery, and consistently blaming your life's troubles on everything BUT your own inaction ... and yet you've not taken one concrete step to change your fate.

Methinks a little tough love is what you need. Get off your duff and do something -anything- to introduce some of the change that you desire.

Stop complaining about your evangelical parents. You are in your mid-thirties, for Pete's sake. You don't even live under their roof any longer. Stop complaining about the stupid overpriced car that you bought that you couldn't afford. Get rid of it, or take on a second part-time job to get it paid off faster, for Pete's sake. Don't talk about your drinking problem ... DEAL with it, and attend any one of the numerous meetings held in OKC every single day, for Pete's sake.

Do something besides your usual whining on the internet. I know that sounds harsh, but you NEED a kick in the ass to get yourself in gear and make some changes. You've been swirling in a sea of self-pity and inaction long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology