U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:59 AM

1,634 posts, read 5,898,866 times

Advertisements

I've been there. The only GE class I failed to finish, still received my AA, but I couldn't transfer without it. The fear of speech class prevented me from pursuing my BA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:46 AM

955 posts, read 1,917,531 times
After reading the good suggestions and personal stories, let me share a theory that I have on the subject.

As people continue to have less interpersonal exchanges due to internet, on-line classes, telecommuting, etc. the fear factor will increase to greater levels. People will simply not have as many opportunities to make verbal exchanges. This will result in more anxiety in speaking before a group.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 636 times
I used to be horribly scared of public speaking. Back in High School my knees would literally knock together, I was shaking so bad. It certainly didn't help that I have pretty bad social anxiety. I forced myself to take a public speaking class in high school and made it through. As time went on I had more and more opportunities to speak, and the crowds got bigger and bigger. The more I did it, the more confident I became. Now I have spoken in front of groups up to a couple thousand, and do it well. It does take time and work and putting yourself out there, but in time it can pay off. For many it can make you more employable, because you will have to speak at least some for your job.

There are also some tricks you can use, and books out there that can help. One example is a book I found at [url=http://acd48tr7o76y6l4i6bw8qi4ual.hop.clickbank.net/]The easy way to overcome fear of Public Speaking - Public Speaking Cheat[/url] .

Just keep pushing, learning all the little tricks you can, and as time goes on if you keep doing it you will gain confidence and it may become enjoyable.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 12,978 times
In college I took my public speaking class online where I had to record videos and upload them. It was way easier than being bodied in a class full of people.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:17 AM

603 posts, read 680,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon9tilr View Post
In college I took my public speaking class online where I had to record videos and upload them. It was way easier than being bodied in a class full of people.
That's what I was going to do. I found another school with an online public speaking course and was just going to have the credits transferred. Luckily, I ended up transferring (for a completely different reason) to a school that didn't require a public speaking course.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:01 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
How does recording videos and uploading them for remote viewing effectively prepare one to actually speak, live, in public, in front of an interactive audience?

Honest question.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 AM

603 posts, read 680,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How does recording videos and uploading them for remote viewing effectively prepare one to actually speak, live, in public, in front of an interactive audience?

Honest question.
Public speaking courses are more than just about being comfortable speaking in front of a large group, so taking an online course would help in other aspects, such as mannerisms, tone, etc.

Plus a lot of careers don't even require you to speak in front of an audience, so it's much more comfortable to take the class online if you don't want to do it in front of an audience.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM

12,420 posts, read 13,084,552 times
what worked for me (and to this day i am not thrilled about giving presentations, but it is necessary in my job) is to find a small congenial Toastmasters group and attend and participate. I found it to be safe, encouraging, positive, supportive, and effective. One of my teenage sons even went with me for "moral support" and to this day (he is now in his 30s) he says that has helped him immensely in his job.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-16-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-22-2016, 09:13 AM

657 posts, read 285,716 times
If your not regulating your amygdalae; it's like not being toilet trained. (if there's a polite way (analogy), to convey this message, let me know).

Can you blush on purpose? Think of public speaking or taking a exam. Think of being afraid of 'bogyman'. Think of having a placebo effect.

When you do start to feel fear/anxiety, try to increase the intensity of the emotions. (To prove you can regulate your amygdalae).

Do you know how long it took to evolve prefrontal lobes so that humans could regulate or short-circuit automatic amygdalae reactions
and be able to 'choose' responses/emotions volitionally?
Primitive creatures were environment and instinct and perception controlled.
Humans respond to thoughts as well as to perceptions, (much of the time we don't recognize reacting to thought instead of to fact.)
Try experiencing fear/anxiety 'without' thinking a thought to arouse your emotions. Without thought, can you experience emotions? With perceptions, we experience emotions automatically.
Even when we sleep, we need images to feel emotions.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 05-22-2016 at 09:57 AM..

Old 05-22-2016, 10:34 AM

4,554 posts, read 2,022,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what worked for me (and to this day i am not thrilled about giving presentations, but it is necessary in my job) is to find a small congenial Toastmasters group and attend and participate. I found it to be safe, encouraging, positive, supportive, and effective. One of my teenage sons even went with me for "moral support" and to this day (he is now in his 30s) he says that has helped him immensely in his job.
This is EXACTLY what I was going to recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology