Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:59 PM

88,018 posts, read 83,846,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
No one said it better:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.*

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

Max Ehrmann's "Desiderata"
Thanks! That used to be sold on wall plaques and posters everywhere in the 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,290,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Now I have witnessed a 'princess' go totally ape $ hit when she broke a nail or her makeup wasn't perfect. I DID suffer that day listening to that rant.

Tbf some folks have led the sheltered life...
I just think everything has always gone their way, if they are attractive and come from a well off family. They've never lacked for romantic partners. Everyone wants to be their friend, even if they have an ordinary personality or aren't really all that nice. So when something bad happens in their life, they go "ape" as you say. I've literally heard someone say "this (bad thing) was supposed to happen to someone else, not me." Really? Who else was it supposed to happen to?

Old 05-27-2018, 08:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
While poetic there is no such thing as a greater or lesser person....that is where this poem falters...and somewhat a bit condescending.
There was never any equality. America was founded based upon the concept of equal opportunity, not upon equality.

Only God hands out equality except He didn't. He handed out handicaps and gifts in a way that we cannot comprehend, but even God never believed in equality if we are to interpret His thoughts by what we see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember after they killed Bin Laden and some people were urging that photos be released for proof. I was watching a talk show where you could call in and ask this expert on ME relations questions related to that topic.
The proof we have is, has anybody seen him since we announced we neutralized him? Have the Muslim extremists accused America of lying? He is either dead or he's f***-teen stories below ground in a place that is closer to the Devil than to God. Our God not his. — If he's in CIA/DIA underground then we could never announce, "He was dead but now he is not." He's either dead dead or he is CIA/DIA dead, and will get a quick-lime bath when they are done with him.

I believe the official line on this one. He's just dead, shot in the forehead. I still don't get why the trigger man went public. You know he will have to go armed for the rest of his life. He for sure has a price painted on his forehead. Not dead or alive, but rather dead or dead in a grandiose way.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:03 AM

483 posts, read 688,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
At first glance, you might think that my question is an Irrational question. But think about it because>> Even some lottery-winners have been known to commit suicide. And also even good-looking people have been known to commit suicide. And even some Millionaires have been known to commit suicide. So doesn't it all even out in the long run?

I remember that question was once asked of Marilyn vos Savant who you might know has a genius IQ. She gave an answer but I cannot recall what it was. I've been trying to find that answer online but cannot. So if someone can find it, I would appreciate. Also what do you all think of the point made?
Well, just for one concrete point, there are folks whose brain chemistry doesn't let them respond to SSRI drugs, for example, serotonin levels being construed as an important portion of what is seen as contributing to what we call "feelings of happiness". (Which, I add, Marilyn might not have known back in the day.) So maybe everyone is miserable to some extent; but not everyone can rely upon the same set of "better living through modern medicine" to fix it.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:47 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,602,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Of those 5 types, which one does the stereotypical mother-in-law fall under?
I just thank God I never found out. My in-laws were (and still are, just not my in-laws) both amazing people who truly welcomed their son-in-laws into their family.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:01 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,034,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many people with charmed lives give the credit to themselves, but there are outside factors (as well as luck and circumstance) that gave them what they wanted. They simply don't want to admit it.
And they suffer because of it.
Lack of gratitude and increased suffering are old drinking pals.

The impoverished have lower suicide rates.
What don't kill ya makes you stronger.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Well, just for one concrete point, there are folks whose brain chemistry doesn't let them respond to SSRI drugs, for example, serotonin levels being construed as an important portion of what is seen as contributing to what we call "feelings of happiness". (Which, I add, Marilyn might not have known back in the day.) So maybe everyone is miserable to some extent; but not everyone can rely upon the same set of "better living through modern medicine" to fix it.
I often comment on anti-depressants because I have studied them widely (you can guess why) and my best source is Psychotherapist's Guide to Psychopharmacarmological Drugs (or something like that). My psych minor plus 2 years of college chemistry has helped my understanding a lot.

It's just simple. All the anti-depressants interact with a patient's genome (genetic makeup) and all our receptor systems are different. For that reason the anti-depressants have different effects (or no effects) depending on the patient's genome.

Any course of anti-depressants should last maybe 3 months and if no positive results are obtained the physician and patient should consider trying a different drug.

No one anti-depressant works for all patients. If you have depression you gotta shop until you find the right one.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:36 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,321,792 times
Since pain and suffering seem to be part of the human condition, a certain amount is conducive to emotional growth. Like hard work or exercise, too little will make you soft and incapable of responding when a response is called for, but too much will break you down. Too little or too much are relative.

As far as suffering being equal, I really don't understand the question. Or maybe I do. If we look as suffering as mostly self inflicted, the result of our chosen expectations and our chosen response when those expectations aren't met, then I suppose privileged people can be said to be suffering when someone fails to remove the brown M & Ms from the bowl. But I think that's a narrow definition of suffering.

As a way to manage one's life, distinguishing between pain and suffering is useful. In that construct pain is what happens, and suffering is how we respond if we choose to lament and draw out the pain. I think it's fine to talk about that in its proper religious context, and maybe OK if a bit half assed to offer it as self help advice. However, to tell a person that his subjective experience is equal to mine since I choose to accept my broken finger, which I broke playing basketball, and so he just needs to choose to accept his broken back, the result of a drunk driver running a red light and hitting him, is comically obtuse.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,498,906 times
Brain chemistry enables some folks to feel happy, optimistic, and generally enthusiastic with little effort whereas brain chemistry in another predisposes them to anxiety, depression, or somewhere in between. We are all faced with pain in life, some considerably more than others but, regardless of external events, some people are born with a distinct bio-chemical advantage. Nothing is going to get them down for too long. And although many will argue that attitude is the difference, don’t be fooled. Trying to maintain a positive attitude is something we should all strive for but, there is more to the equation.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM

6,404 posts, read 7,604,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks! That used to be sold on wall plaques and posters everywhere in the 1970s.
I still have my wall plaque and it has served me well through all the ups and downs of life.

We are what we chose to be, unless there is a medical condition which prevents us from being happy.

Chose to have a wonderful day and do not focus on what you do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology